Jump to content
VanillaLovelace

NEW Linden Homes 2019 .... WTF!!!!

Recommended Posts

Be patient! Its only taken LL 16 years to get something right 🤪. Finally making SL aesthetically pleasing and even a little consideration towards people who use vehicles be it on water or land re:orbs/banlines. That is worth paying premium for in my eyes. A community! not bots to trick you into thinking a place is populated. Unlike the mainland which is ugly and a pain to explore.

Great job so far. Take more of my money 🤑

Just my thoughts moving along now.

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amigatu Choche said:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yes again you assuming you know my life lol , smh , is this all you have to do? I know real diaster pal , just please dont waste my time before I have to block you not interested in your theories , me English teacher 

Quoted for posterity.

An English teacher that doesn't use proper grammar or punctuation. 

5vXz.gif

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1
Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

Quoted for posterity. your right he didnt 

An English teacher that doesn't use proper grammar or punctuation. 

5vXz.gif

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Quoted for posterity.

An English teacher that doesn't use proper grammar or punctuation. 

5vXz.gif

29 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Good grief, get a sodding grip. God forbid a real disaster ever befell you if you're reacting like this to not being able to get a bit of virtual land.

And before someone rants that I'm probably typing the above while sitting smugly on my houseboat and eating Raisinets:

1. I'm English. No such thing as Raisinets here.
2. I don't own a Linden Home. Instead I've been paying roughly $250 a month to Linden Lab for the past 10 years (and I've been inworld for 12 - just like you - before you tell me I'm a noob compared to you, thereby deeming my words invalid) for a full region.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yes again you assuming you know my life lol , smh , is this all you have to do? I know real diaster pal , just please dont waste my time before I have to block you not interested in your theories , me English teacher 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ananoelle said:

Finally making SL aesthetically pleasing and even a little consideration towards people who use vehicles be it on water or land re:orbs/banlines. That is worth paying premium for in my eyes. A community!

This!

How to make a virtual world into a real destination, and a place people want to be.  Residents have known this forever. Maybe LL is finally figuring it out.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aha, I finally found the popcorn thread. Silly me, I thought all the Linden Homes posts were in the Linden Homes forum!  🍿

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read the comments and I am wondered, I knew about this topic through a friend in world. I "run" to the web page to get (again, I abandoned my first one time ago) one, but in the web page I only see the old regions, the old 512 sqm houses. I don't know why, I checked the wiki and still get the same options. ?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

... it's a good thing overall; good for Linden Lab, good for Us, good for the general "health" of the grid.

I'm not so sure about that, Alyona.

I'm happy, of course, that everyone is excited about the new Linden Homes, and that those who have them seem to be enjoying them.  I'm even happier that there seems to be a sense of community in the new Linden Home areas.

But let's think about this...where are the Linden Home residents coming from?  The Linden Homes are not driving an infusion of newcomers to SL.  I doubt that anyone outside of SL even knows or cares about them.  So the residents must be coming from 1) existing 512 Linden Homes, 2) Mainland renters, and/or 3) Private Estate tenants...in short, the existing user base.

This means that the new homes are revenue-neutral for LL.  They aren't increasing LL's income from tier.  In fact, a resident who gives up an existing Linden Home is getting a free "gift" from LL of another 512 square meters and 175 prims.  LL is, in effect, providing twice the land for the same amount of revenue.  A resident who moves out of a Mainland rental means less income for her landlord, who then may have to downsize her holdings and her tier payments to LL.  A resident who moves from a Private Estate means one less tenant for the Estate Owner.  If that Estate Owner loses enough tenants, he'll have to close down some of his regions, again cutting into LL's income.

In the extreme, all of SL might become nothing but houseboats and traditional Linden Homes...

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Aha, I finally found the popcorn thread. Silly me, I thought all the Linden Homes posts were in the Linden Homes forum!  🍿

The popcorn thread or a popcorn thread. There are plenty around on damn near every thread in these forums.

I suppose one needs to pick and choose which is worth melting butter for. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For any long term premium members who feel entitled about that they should have had priority, sorry no, you shouldn't. You had the same chance as anyone with a priority account regardless of how old and really, the new ones are more important. LL doesn't make much off the premium membership dues. What they do get is somebody more likely to be a long time resident which is far more valuable. Those who've been here a long time had plenty of advance notice about these new homes. You will eventually get one if you actually try rather than whining, but nobody is going to hand one to you on a silver platter nor should they. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Crim Mip said:

For any long term premium members who feel entitled about that they should have had priority, sorry no, you shouldn't. You had the same chance as anyone with a priority account regardless of how old and really, the new ones are more important. LL doesn't make much off the premium membership dues. What they do get is somebody more likely to be a long time resident which is far more valuable. Those who've been here a long time had plenty of advance notice about these new homes. You will eventually get one if you actually try rather than whining, but nobody is going to hand one to you on a silver platter nor should they. 

we all got the same email as everyone else at the same time, no advanced notices ????

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Amigatu Choche said:
9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Most of us took various errors and sold-out type messages along the way, but refreshes usually eventually gave something.  However, they are all now gone -- took just under 30 minutes.  More stuff will be coming and the new homes are not the only benefit that your Premium membership gives you - though it might be the only one you care about.

This from Patch's update when this last batch was released:
"We know they will go very quickly, but as time goes on we will get more out, and hopefully faster.

Our next focus will be to bring more Traditional Homes plus more Houseboats in another smaller launch while working in parallel to a larger launch and an exciting new theme. 
As usual, stay tuned here for more updates!"

 

Edited 2 hours ago by Amigatu Choche
dont have a right to our opinion here without critics jumping down our throats and being verbally abusive

 

Do tell -- what part of my post (that you quoted for a comment that you apparently later deleted) was jumping down your throat or being verbally abusive?

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

But let's think about this...where are the Linden Home residents coming from?  The Linden Homes are not driving an infusion of newcomers to SL.  I doubt that anyone outside of SL even knows or cares about them.  So the residents must be coming from 1) existing 512 Linden Homes, 2) Mainland renters, and/or 3) Private Estate tenants...in short, the existing user base.

or 4) folks reduced their current Mainland holdings (a few mention in forum conversations that they did that - though this also qualifies as no additional money for LL)

or 5) folks that increased tier to get a Linden Home (a few of us did and that gives LL more money) 

or 6) folks that became new Premiums for these homes (based on some of the forum comments/whining, quite a few people did this)

 

We know that LL wants to increase their Premium base - they've said so a few times over the last year or two - and this did give them a lot of new Premiums. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amigatu Choche said:

we all got the same email as everyone else at the same time, no advanced notices ????

He meant advance notice by reading the forums.  From that we knew "roughly" when they would be released, but nobody knew exactly when ahead of time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched this guy get a houseboat and all he did was sunbathe on the roof smugly.

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like the hunger games.

'May the odds be ever in your favour'

Or in this case, may your internet connection, refresh rate and speed of your mouse click, be ever in your favour.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ananoelle said:

Seems like the hunger games.

'May the odds be ever in your favour'

Or in this case, may your internet connection, refresh rate and speed of your mouse click, be ever in your favour.

May they learn what F5 does.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amigatu Choche said:

we all got the same email as everyone else at the same time, no advanced notices ????

I can't answer for everyone else but I got the email after I had claimed a houseboat in the 2nd wave.  I knew they were coming because I follow the forums.  Even without the forums, I knew from the first release of homes in the official LL blogs that a 2nd wave were coming so I kept my eye on developments.  My life  (SL or RL)  wouldn't end if I didn't get one but after a couple of page resets and a couple of error notices... there it was.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Grabbed two shots yesterday ... this one was moments before they opened the new houseboats plot at Bellisseria ... 

fff.thumb.jpg.aeeb4d73c5e944f3d096adbcc65ed9b6.jpg

And this one was the lucky new houseboat owners holding an impromptu beach party on the new island not an hour after the land opened ...

222.jpg.514a4ce49b88e3ace94833fea2302b33.jpg

:)

 

 

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I'm not so sure about that, Alyona.

I'm happy, of course, that everyone is excited about the new Linden Homes, and that those who have them seem to be enjoying them.  I'm even happier that there seems to be a sense of community in the new Linden Home areas.

But let's think about this...where are the Linden Home residents coming from?  The Linden Homes are not driving an infusion of newcomers to SL.  I doubt that anyone outside of SL even knows or cares about them.  So the residents must be coming from 1) existing 512 Linden Homes, 2) Mainland renters, and/or 3) Private Estate tenants...in short, the existing user base.

This means that the new homes are revenue-neutral for LL.  They aren't increasing LL's income from tier.  In fact, a resident who gives up an existing Linden Home is getting a free "gift" from LL of another 512 square meters and 175 prims.  LL is, in effect, providing twice the land for the same amount of revenue.  A resident who moves out of a Mainland rental means less income for her landlord, who then may have to downsize her holdings and her tier payments to LL.  A resident who moves from a Private Estate means one less tenant for the Estate Owner.  If that Estate Owner loses enough tenants, he'll have to close down some of his regions, again cutting into LL's income.

In the extreme, all of SL might become nothing but houseboats and traditional Linden Homes...

Beyond what Lil has said in response, I think maybe that LL is playing the long game here. At least, I hope they are, and that this proves a pattern for future decisions.

Whatever the immediate impact upon their revenue stream, LL has achieved two things. First, they have generated excitement and enthusiasm of a sort that I haven't seen here forever. Yes, this is almost entirely evident in those who already here, but the word will get out, even if only to a small degree.

More than this, however, they have engineered real communities. Nearly everything we've seen them do around this decision -- the provision of attractive communal spaces, the care taken to ensure that there are functional land, water, and air routes through the regions, and the provisions in the covenant regarding ban lines and security orbs -- has explicitly been about creating communities.

And that's enormously important for the long term health of SL. One of the most oft heard complaints about SL, from newbies especially, is that it is empty. Where are the people?? Well, LL has ensured that any new resident who chooses premium will be plugged directly into a pre-existing community. And the care they've taken to ensure that these are attractive and bustling places to be means that they will actually be communities, and not merely (as is the case with the old Linden homes) acres of empty and fenced-off houses.

In the long term, this will assist retention, and it will, even if only slowly, remake SL's image in the larger VR and social gaming community.

At least, I hope it will.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

And this one was the lucky new houseboat owners holding an impromptu beach party on the new island not an hour after the land opened ...

222.jpg.514a4ce49b88e3ace94833fea2302b33.jpg

:)

 

 

This is amazing.

ETA: This reminds me of the wild impromptu dance parties I used to be a part of back in 2008 and 2009, mostly at Mill Pond. I haven't seen anything like that in SL in years.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

... More than this, however, they have engineered real communities. ....

Great point. This is becoming a big success story for SL and well deserved. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing for sure, the new homes create strong feelings.

It is not boring LL homes anymore. Now they go as hot cakes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

One thing for sure, the new homes create strong feelings.

It is not boring LL homes anymore. Now they go as hot cakes.

Yeah, they got it right this time they most surely did. By the way some lindens and some moles called by that party it was quite a shindig went on 6 hours or more ...

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

Great point. This is becoming a big success story for SL and well deserved. 

I think it's genius -- although it's pretty clear that LL itself was caught off guard by their own success!

I imagine -- I hope -- that the LL brain trust is hard at work right now brainstorming ways to apply the lessons they're learning here to other aspects of SL, perhaps starting with the mainland.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...