NEW Linden Homes 2019 .... WTF!!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What exactly is the big deal about Linden homes? Is it not possible to buy other ones from standard creators to put on one's land? Or is it about the location?

I just don't understand the level of angst over this. Do Linden homes have some sort of extra status attached to them?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

What exactly is the big deal about Linden homes? Is it not possible to buy other ones from standard creators to put on one's land? Or is it about the location?

I just don't understand the level of angst over this. Do Linden homes have some sort of extra status attached to them?

Not status. Prims.

The buildings and landscaping for a Linden home do not count as part of the parcel's land impact, so you get the whole allocation to play with. Which is a considerable boon, as usually the buildings on a parcel take up a considerable portion of the allowance.

• Thanks 2

It's more about the community than a few bonus prims.

If raw prims per US$ was that important then Horizons wouldn't be the ghost town it is. It's is a better deal, you get double and you can call anything you like home.

If anything, the Linden Homes come with a tighter prim budget than most of us are used to for decorating, it's providing a challenge and making it fun. What can you do with a limited selection of homes and a tight 300 Li.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

If raw prims per US$ was that important then Horizons wouldn't be the ghost town it is. It's is a better deal, you get double and you can call anything you like home.

And the BUY IN is astronomical. I do not count that as a great deal. But we each have our priorities. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

It's more about the community than a few bonus prims.

If anything, the Linden Homes come with a tighter prim budget than most of us are used to for decorating, it's providing a challenge and making it fun. What can you do with a limited selection of homes and a tight 300 Li.

I'm so used to making do with under 100 prims... what I could do with 300. Oh man. I think I'm gonna go sit in a corner and sulk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

And the BUY IN is astronomical. I do not count that as a great deal. But we each have our priorities. 

If you hold the plot for 2 years, pay annually and shop around (40Kish, not spending $100K for some coastal BS) .. it works out to be the second best value land prim-per-US$ in all SL, just beaten by the new Linden Homes and only if you factor in and use the bonus house/boat. The kicker is you pay most of it up front. Value calc assumes you have a single premium, and does not factor in that you still own the land at the end and can sell it. 

18 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

There's another category; existing basic users who were not already premium and not renting.

I went premium for the first time a couple of months ago specifically because of the Linden Homes. I would not have bothered otherwise. I know at least one other person in my small circle of friends who has done the same, for the same reason. And I am absolutely certain we're not unique.

Even an uptick of 10% or 20% new  basic-to-premium accounts is still a significant increase in revenue.

Matty, and Lil, this is a good point.  But I am not sure how much revenue it generates, if you take everything into account.  If the new Premium members were homeless before, then yes, it's money in LL's pocket.  But if they were renting on the Mainland or an estate, the money they were paying their landlords (and that the landlords were mostly passing on to LL in THEIR tier) goes away, and is replaced by Premium dues paid directly to LL.  LL no longer has to pay a "cut" to the landlords, but those landlords, now with fewer tenants, may downsize or go away.  So what LL gains in Premium Linden Home owners, they lose in terms of Mainland and Estate rentals.

22 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

If you hold the plot for 2 years, pay annually and shop around (40Kish, not spending $100K for some coastal BS) .. it works out to be the second best value land prim-per-US$ in all SL, just beaten by the new Linden Homes and only if you factor in and use the bonus house/boat. The kicker is you pay most of it up front. Value calc assumes you have a single premium, and does not factor in that you still own the land at the end and can sell it. 

Well I paid under $5000 for my 4096 and pay $5 US per month in tier. So far I have been there over a year. For ME that is a better value :D. Pretty close to free. That was before I was premium. Now I have that and a nice house for about a dollar US a month. Works well for me. I believe in low overhead. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

So what LL gains in Premium Linden Home owners, they lose in terms of Mainland and Estate rentals.

According to Ebbe (on several public occasions) THAT is the plan.  But from the posts we are seeing it doesn't seem like most folks are leaving old rentals. So likely not a huge impact overall --- also likely part of the plan. 

20 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

So what LL gains in Premium Linden Home owners, they lose in terms of Mainland and Estate rentals.

I am still keeping my 2048 mainland, though after upgrading both my alts to premium, I realized it would be better for them to donate their tier to that mainland parcel instead of getting Linden Homes.  I am also still keeping my rental on an estate (which is my main home base).  I've almost always had a Linden Home also, so it made sense to me to move over sooner rather than later (based on LL saying they eventually plan to close out the old linden home continents - besides, the excitement has been contagious). 

To me, each of these different types of land offer something different, and whenever I've tried to 'scale down' and eliminate one or more of them (rental, mainland, linden home), I end up adding it back after not too long. 

Perhaps I'm in the minority in this regard, but I do hope that in the end it does turn out to be beneficial for LL and for mainland and estate landlords.

Well, I get the old housing options.. so... And yes, I am very much considering canceling premium which I have had for a good 10 years or so... And no the reason I am considering no more premium is because nothing at all is a benefit to me.

Edited by Tarina Sewell
i wanted to add more...

The biggest frustrating comes from the point that people not did have a change to grab or try to grab a home. If you release all homes at the same time it's chaos. And lot's of people cannot be online at that time too. Also the time where unknown so people could not make time for it, or say to bad not going to get one this time.

Linden lab could know better after the first release of the homes. And deploy this batch different.The biggest benefit with premium are the new linden homes, only reason why i did cancel the cancel of premium. So not a surprise if people get frustrated. You pay for something you mabye get when winter is coming.

Normal mainland parcels are not so good as the new linden homes. unless linden lab is going to double prim count on mainland. Enough reason to get a new linden home and enough reasons to get frustrated if you not get one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

According to Ebbe (on several public occasions) THAT is the plan.  But from the posts we are seeing it doesn't seem like most folks are leaving old rentals. So likely not a huge impact overall --- also likely part of the plan. 

Im pretty sure, some people prefer private estates/homesteads over mainland/Linden homes for a good reason, whatever that may be.

Gosh, people are excited about this, huh? I've always had mainland parcels, and always public, always trying to make them seem welcoming to surrounding parcels by being on the ground and terraforming to not make it cubed off, smoothing it trying to make it all flow with neighbors... But then people like putting up privacy screens and ban lines, so I've always had the impression nobody in SL wants to live in a neighborhood community. I'm happy to see that's not the case, and it kinda makes me want one now....

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Morena Tully said:

Gosh, people are excited about this, huh? I've always had mainland parcels, and always public, always trying to make them seem welcoming to surrounding parcels by being on the ground and terraforming to not make it cubed off, smoothing it trying to make it all flow with neighbors... But then people like putting up privacy screens and ban lines, so I've always had the impression nobody in SL wants to live in a neighborhood community. I'm happy to see that's not the case, and it kinda makes me want one now....

Fully agree with you! On my former mainland I had neighbors, who surrounded me with ugly skyboxes which they put on the ground instead of putting them in sky. If you ever visited Xondar you may have noticed, that the sim looks like a complete mess. And thats one of the reasons for me to shut down my House and Club on Xondar and make a new start  with the New Linden Homes ...

• Like 1

Well we have  a homestead this particular one we have had for 3 years but its mostly for business.  I have a mainland parcel for building  (scripts load faster there than at the homestead) and I upped my tier to get a houseboat.  We also have an opensim region.  It all falls within my entertainment budget and since getting out in RL is difficult, its all worth it to ME and not really a huge cost at all since we are lucky enough that the business pays for it all.  (Except the houseboat.  I didn't feel I should use the business money for that as it was only an indulgence I wanted)  The houseboat is going to be our weekend retreat away from business stuff so LL are making more money from me at least with the extra tier I added.

Edited by Cindy Evanier
grammar is hard!
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

The biggest frustrating comes from the point that people not did have a change to grab or try to grab a home. If you release all homes at the same time it's chaos. And lot's of people cannot be online at that time too. Also the time where unknown so people could not make time for it, or say to bad not going to get one this time.

Linden lab could know better after the first release of the homes. And deploy this batch different.The biggest benefit with premium are the new linden homes, only reason why i did cancel the cancel of premium. So not a surprise if people get frustrated. You pay for something you mabye get when winter is coming.

Normal mainland parcels are not so good as the new linden homes. unless linden lab is going to double prim count on mainland. Enough reason to get a new linden home and enough reasons to get frustrated if you not get one.

That‘s the point! If my english would have been much better, I would have posted it in exact the same words you did! 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Well, I get the old housing options.. so... And yes, I am very much considering canceling premium which I have had for a good 10 years or so... And no the reason I am considering no more premium is because nothing at all is a benefit to me.

For 10 years of being premium, what were the benefits that kept you renewing?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ClariceRose said:

For 10 years of being premium, what were the benefits that kept you renewing?

I was to lazy to turn it off.... truth be told. Previously you had to be prem to own land... apparently that is not so now. (private sim)  I liked the live chat help to. Other than that, I think the "gifts" are silly usually and never anything I can use and the stipend is a joke. I am sure of it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.