Any update on the last name thing?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

24 minutes ago, ananoelle said:

Will it be happening any time soon? 

Oh yes, SOON.

You have to understand that when a Linden uses the word 'soon' it has a different meaning to any mortal's use of it.  'Soon' to a Linden means 'we will do it sometime'.  'Soon' is the Linden opposite if 'Never'.

And we also note that 24 hours, which we think of as 24 normal hours, when said by a Linden often means "probably this week, or at least quite 'Soon'."

Old Russian Proverb: 'Beware of timescale predictions of programmers.'

• Haha 7

i saw an interview with Ebbe Linden over on Hamlet Au's blog recently

in it Ebbe Linden said that the issue holding up last names is ensuring that there is a robust process to handle when people change their names, that there remains a relationship between all past names (as we could have had more than one) and our current name

a example of this is the intended llName2Key(...) script function. A newer script may be asking for the key of our current name, whereas an older script may be asking for the key of an older name of ours.  Both scripts need to return the same key

he never said when this work would be complete, just that it is being worked on. Which we can take to mean as soon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/15/2019 at 2:08 AM, Mollymews said:

i saw an interview with Ebbe Linden over on Hamlet Au's blog recently

in it Ebbe Linden said that the issue holding up last names is ensuring that there is a robust process to handle when people change their names, that there remains a relationship between all past names (as we could have had more than one) and our current name

a example of this is the intended llName2Key(...) script function. A newer script may be asking for the key of our current name, whereas an older script may be asking for the key of an older name of ours.  Both scripts need to return the same key

he never said when this work would be complete, just that it is being worked on. Which we can take to mean as soon

I find this very fascinating.  When LL stopped last names and made everyone elses last name resident .. just one key to remember for either  i gather. The important thing is for LL to know the relationship of the new name.. so my thought is when the existing scripts ask - it could just be one key still because it will replace the key and notate it somewhere will LL on ones acct not publicly. I dont feel it has to be the worlds business as users would want to change the name for a host of reasons.  I’m not opposed to it disclosing, but if this challenging task is whats “holding up the works” possibly my suggestion should be looked into if its feasible.  If a user wants to disclose what their old name was, perhaps making a new field for users to manually put it may be easier.  I love sl and this new possibility of last names and have been premium since the announcement awaiting this new feature.

They could offer this:

• a web page where you could search for available names.
  • name change as a paid service that would take X number of days.
  • no more than one name change per account per Y number of months.

If it's so freaking complicated and inconvenient, LL should get paid for it.

If it's actually simple and quick, it's still an upsell that people would pay for.

If you had to temporarily stop using your account while the name gets changed, that would simply be one of the conditions of name change.

3 hours ago, Halo Minoptra said:

They could offer this:

• a web page where you could search for available names.
  • name change as a paid service that would take X number of days.
  • no more than one name change per account per Y number of months.

If it's so freaking complicated and inconvenient, LL should get paid for it.

If it's actually simple and quick, it's still an upsell that people would pay for.

If you had to temporarily stop using your account while the name gets changed, that would simply be one of the conditions of name change.

The current rumors, as I know it at this point, are:

• Only available to Premium subscribers
  • Cost to change (somewhere between $15 an and $30 U.S. at last rumor)
  • Write your own first name, choose the last name from a drop-down list (the way it was done originally)
  • An instant name change, likely no delay or penalty before doing it again (other than the cost)
  • Most likely must not be logged into the grid when changing account name (this is just my own suspicion, considering all kinds of under-the-hood changes)
  • Availability: Hawai'ian time: it will be here when it gets here. This is likely one of the most ambitious endeavors LL is attempting in recent memory.

Even if it won't arrive until 2021, I'm good with that. As long as they don't give up on the effort and abandon it. Some things are just simply worth the wait.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.