The hostess said "show us some Linden love."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1803 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, anniepany said:

Absolutely! and I LOVE this song! Thanks for posting it 🙂

Makes a pretty decent philosophy to live by. ;)

Oh and you're welcome. :D

Aaaand one more for the road.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

What I really don't like are the tip jars with the floating text that not only show who the last person was to tip, but also show the amount of that person's tip.

Is the point of that to express gratitude to the tipper? Or to shame people into tipping more?

One of the reasons I don't like them is that they added to the horrible visual noise at most clubs. Honestly, most clubs in SL fall into one of two camps: they either look like the living room area of a house being rented by college students, or they are kitschy and camp as hell (and not in an ironic or fun way). On top of that, there are huge ugly boards, tip jars all over the place, hideously coloured or glittering dance balls and stands, and floating text over everything.

There are of course exceptions, but generally I personally find most clubs are as ugly as sin.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Slightly moderated my tone because I've had coffee now
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Is the point of that to express gratitude to the tipper? Or to shame people into tipping more?

One of the reasons I don't like them is that they added to the horrible visual noise at most clubs. Honestly, most clubs in SL fall into one of two camps: they either look like the living room area of a house being rented by college students, or they are kitschy and camp as hell (and not in an ironic or fun way). On top of that, there are huge ugly boards, tip jars all over the place, hideously coloured or glittering dance balls and stands, and floating text over everything.

There are a few exceptions, but generally most clubs are as ugly as sin.

I would imagine that people with those types of tip jars would say publicly that the point was to express gratitude, but privately would be hoping that it shames people into tipping more. 

I tend to go to just a very small group of clubs.  I should spend a week or two trying out different clubs each day to get a better sense of what is out there.   For me the biggest issue is whether I like the music or not - more than the visual, I think.

Edited by moirakathleen
added another thought
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, moirakathleen said:

I should spend a week or two trying out different clubs each day to get a better sense of what is out there.

If you find something good, let me know!! I spent a fair amount of time, when I first started logging in again regularly in October, checking out clubs. Some of my old haunts are gone, some are now virtual deserts, and a few have changed in ways I wasn't big on. There are 2 that I go to reasonably often, and another couple I occasionally visit.

My rant about aesthetics notwithstanding, the most important things for me are (obviously) the music, and (less obviously) the social atmosphere. I like clubs that are also social venues, and where there is a lot of chat and banter and a real sense of community. One of my old haunts, a blues club which I am still going to, used to be like that, but has now seemingly become mostly a pick-up joint: chat is nearly all in IM, and I get hit on there more than anywhere else I go. Unfortunately, the music is good, and I have a few friends who also go there, so . . .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If you find something good, let me know!! I spent a fair amount of time, when I first started logging in again regularly in October, checking out clubs. Some of my old haunts are gone, some are now virtual deserts, and a few have changed in ways I wasn't big on. There are 2 that I go to reasonably often, and another couple I occasionally visit.

My rant about aesthetics notwithstanding, the most important things for me are (obviously) the music, and (less obviously) the social atmosphere. I like clubs that are also social venues, and where there is a lot of chat and banter and a real sense of community. One of my old haunts, a blues club which I am still going to, used to be like that, but has now seemingly become mostly a pick-up joint: chat is nearly all in IM, and I get hit on there more than anywhere else I go. Unfortunately, the music is good, and I have a few friends who also go there, so . . .

I do enjoy clubs where there is conversation in local chat - once in a great while I even join in :)    

• Like 1

I'm a host. My job is to welcome people and entertain and offer assistance if needed. Some people seem to see a value in what I do and some of them tip me or thank me, and still others ignore me. I Iike hosting, and I make enough money at it that I never have to buy Lindens to support my SL shopping habits. I treat everyone the same whether they tip me or not. The reason I like hosting is not so much the money but for the way it forces me to go outside my introverted comfort zone and socialize. It's fun.  If it ever stops being fun, I'll quit.  I've never uttered the words "show me some Linden love" or "show the DJ some Linden Love".  My job is not to beg for tips.  If it was, I'd never have become a host.

• Like 7

23 hours ago, MrsSeren said:

Interesting how each venue differs in what requires to be promoted during a set; example one I'm current host; I have to mention DJ, venue - naturally plus currently RFL related donations, any RFL related events we may be hosting or any club related events like concerts, what is on sim and any shops we have and where as another venue I used to work at we had set times tor use the gestures for set things. 

I'm sure glad I don't work at that venue!  I don't promote anything other than fun and laughs.  I don't think begging for tips works, the people that are going to tip, will tip anyway, and the ones that don't, don't anyway. Begging doesn't make much difference and it's a downer.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

I'm sure glad I don't work at that venue!  I don't promote anything other than fun and laughs.  I don't think begging for tips works, the people that are going to tip, will tip anyway, and the ones that don't, don't anyway. Begging doesn't make much difference and it's a downer.

I totally agree, I'm old style host, I love having fun with the VIPs and my DJ if they have fun then I know I done my job right and then that makes me happy! :) 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

I'm a host. My job is to welcome people and entertain and offer assistance if needed. Some people seem to see a value in what I do and some of them tip me or thank me, and still others ignore me. I Iike hosting ... The reason I like hosting is not so much the money but for the way it forces me to go outside my introverted comfort zone and socialize. It's fun. 

Awesomes. I'm a DJ and know for a fact being a good host is the hardest of the two jobs, never missing an arrival and making folk feel relaxed and welcome can be a tough call, concentration intensive. Begging for tips makes me cringe, if people are going to tip they do, and if they're not they don't. It's not rocket science.

Most of the time I find hosts terribly annoying and distracting. What value does it have is someone just says HI to me when I land, only because its their "job"? The hosts I like are the ones who actually entertain the party, with silly banter and fun relevant chat (not spamming disturbing gestures).

My fav host in SL is actually a DJ who is always personally welcoming and chatting with everyone on the floor, continuously keeping the party going in local chat. Not needing "specialized" people to entertain the party for her. Never asks for a single tip except maybe for the venue if they don't get much, yet I see her tip jar fill up faster than any other DJ or host I've seen so far.

• Like 2

Ahahaha. They are still saying that? :::throws up a little in my mouth::: I'm a very generous tipper, but as soon as someone says that, or something similar, I get all tight with the virtual wallet. The clubs I go to almost never mention the tip jar, and yet seem to get a decent percentage of tipping. Unless we are no longer talking about monetary gratuities at music venues, and Linden Love means something all different now. I'm so out of the loop.

• Like 1

(I'm so glad they have me listed as an "advanced member" (which sounds risque) because I have no idea how to quote or reply to a specific comment because I haven't done this in years, yeehaw.)

On 5/15/2019 at 12:12 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I enjoy ALTITUDE and Blue Orange. Both do a lot of Indie stuff, a lot of European, and I have no idea how to categorize some of it. ALTITUDE had a fun reggae day yesterday. Aesthetics are so individual, but neither of these places is a big neon box with screaming things. A few cats and ducks, yes.  My old faves are also long gone or so changed that they aren't appealing anymore.

11 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I enjoy ALTITUDE and Blue Orange. Both do a lot of Indie stuff, a lot of European, and I have no idea how to categorize some of it. ALTITUDE had a fun reggae day yesterday. Aesthetics are so individual, but neither of these places is a big neon box with screaming things. A few cats and ducks, yes.  My old faves are also long gone or so changed that they aren't appealing anymore.

Oh, thanks! I'll check these out, especially as I like Indie!

(I can handle cats and ducks. Cute, undemanding ones, anyway.)

12 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

(I'm so glad they have me listed as an "advanced member" (which sounds risque) because I have no idea how to quote or reply to a specific comment because I haven't done this in years, yeehaw.)

Nice to see you back, Seicher. 🙂

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1803 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.