Slow rezzing everywhere

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Even with the CDN and our own cache, we depend on getting the ID code for the content (usually a URL) before we can see it. And that has to come from Linden Lab, through their network. And it wouldn't surprise me if one of my bad login events was due to the old problem with attachments vanishing on a sim crossing. It isn't unusual to detach the vehicle HUD and see other attachments vanish. Is that down to the network they're working on, or a UDP packet getting dropped on the wider internet?

I don't know, but that's the sort of mechanism that can mess things up. In the days before CDN, when UDP was used a lot more, getting a corrupted texture in cache was a problem. We have a much more reliable system now.

I've said it before. Linden Lab documentation, and its cousin the Status Page, often feels like the bigger problem. When the message is "Logins have been temporarily disabled" it's not a warning. It's the middle of the night in California, numbers are low, it's the rational timing, but I'm not in California and it reads more like an "Oops" than a planned activity. But how much warning should they give? Would folk rush to log in? I'm told that we could have expected a four-minute warning of the end of the world.

19 minutes ago, arabellajones said:

I've said it before. Linden Lab documentation, and its cousin the Status Page, often feels like the bigger problem. When the message is "Logins have been temporarily disabled" it's not a warning. It's the middle of the night in California, numbers are low, it's the rational timing, but I'm not in California and it reads more like an "Oops" than a planned activity. But how much warning should they give? Would folk rush to log in? I'm told that we could have expected a four-minute warning of the end of the world.

I'm pretty sure I know you, Arabella. But we have been warned on this maintenance for a number of days now from various sources.

• Like 1

I would have preferred something more like "We are about to shutdown access to the Grid for several hours as part of the planned network maintenance." Yeah, that's British English. I suppose that if there had been a nuclear war, the BBC would have reported "One of our cities is missing."

That, I think, is actually useful. The messages on https://status.secondlifegrid.net are rather vague

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2019 at 12:29 AM, arabellajones said:

I would have preferred something more like "We are about to shutdown access to the Grid for several hours as part of the planned network maintenance." Yeah, that's British English. I suppose that if there had been a nuclear war, the BBC would have reported "One of our cities is missing."

That, I think, is actually useful. The messages on https://status.secondlifegrid.net are rather vague

Often that is deliberate vagueness. Some maintenance tasks increase the system vulnerability to attack. Being vague makes the window of opportunity a moving rather than static target.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.