Diane Soulstar

Can you please give us an estimated time frame of releasing the new Linden Homes?

Posted (edited)

Back in 2004-2005 this was discussed ad nauseam on the forums when the first land program was a going thing.

There were people asking for a timeline, so they could better prepare in order to try to catch the land they wished, and those that argued that this would give an unfair advantage to those that follow these forums which, at the time at least, was a vast minority of all Second Life users.

Not taking any side here, but it became clear that LL agrees with the last group since then. These type of things are never given a precise estimate. "It will be available when it's available" is how these things usually go.

As such, I would be very (but pleasantly) surprised if LL gives us anything besides a "soon". Shockingly surprised, even ;) 

It would be one of those times where I would love to be wrong, you know?

Edited by Marsellus Walcott
Spelling
  • Like 2

And yet when the answer changes from "Soon" to "Now", it is the forums that will be updated first and those following the forums will still be in the know before the rest of the userbase that does not follow the forums.  Hard to understand how that helps.  In fact this scheme has one other bad side effect.  Makes things harder for people who are not in US timezones to react when that answer changes to "Now".  At least if there were some notice, non-US people could plan to stay up late/early, etc.

In summary, if you follow the forum and are in the US timezone, you definitely have the advantage over others for availability at release time.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

And yet when the answer changes from "Soon" to "Now", it is the forums that will be updated first and those following the forums will still be in the know before the rest of the userbase that does not follow the forums.  Hard to understand how that helps.  In fact this scheme has one other bad side effect.  Makes things harder for people who are not in US timezones to react when that answer changes to "Now".  At least if there were some notice, non-US people could plan to stay up late/early, etc.

In summary, if you follow the forum and are in the US timezone, you definitely have the advantage over others for availability at release time.

Maybe, depends on the time of day. If they release during the day US-time, many of us are at work, while Europeans are enjoying their evenings and possibly able to read the forums more easily than the working ones. I think they should release on weekends as that is the most "fair" to all, but of course, they don't work weekends. :)

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Not necessarily.

And, again, I'm not (or trying to, at least) taking sides here, just trying to remember arguments from back in the day.

i.e. I did manage to get a house, and learned about it in game, in one of the groups I'm part of before I read it here.

And because people didn't know beforehand, those houses were available for 48hrs. Maybe, if this was given a proper time frame, they would be gone much sooner, as more people that go to the forums would know about it, and prepare accordingly.

By not giving us a precise estimate, the biggest "advantage" we have is that we know when they are available once it's finally released. And those of us that aren't able to claim it at the time (RL issues, no internet, etc) will all be in equal grounds since no one had any information previous to its release.

The argument back then was something of the sorts, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Marsellus Walcott
Spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:

And yet when the answer changes from "Soon" to "Now", it is the forums that will be updated first and those following the forums will still be in the know before the rest of the userbase that does not follow the forums.

Actually there is an official BLOG POST on the main page that comes out first and then there is a note in the forums showing that there is a blog post.  You don't really need to go to the forums at all. 

https://community.secondlife.com/

This same info ALSO shows up (I am guessing at the same time and automatically) on your dashboard.   Being on the forums isn't much of an advantage --- or one at all.  You just need to be watching somewhere.  I never got an email about the new homes if they sent one out. Possibly they were all taken before the official "newsy" email was scheduled to come out and they didn't do a mailing since they were SO VERY BUSY anyway. Don't know. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

Actually there is an official BLOG POST on the main page that comes out first and then there is a note in the forums showing that there is a blog post.  You don't really need to go to the forums at all. 

And for people using the Linden viewer, I believe that the blog feed is on the viewer splash page. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

https://community.secondlife.com/

This same info ALSO shows up (I am guessing at the same time and automatically) on your dashboard.   Being on the forums isn't much of an advantage --- or one at all.  You just need to be watching somewhere.  I never got an email about the new homes if they sent one out. Possibly they were all taken before the official "newsy" email was scheduled to come out and they didn't do a mailing since they were SO VERY BUSY anyway. Don't know. 

The distinction makes no difference as far as I can see, blog, forum, website I see those as pretty much the same.  So you can assume I mean't blog post if you like.
Of course I wouldn't be fully aware of the correct timing or ordering as I would have been asleep when this happened last time most likely.

9 hours ago, Diane Soulstar said:

Hi! Linden Team,

I do appreciate the fact that the team has come up with new Linden homes. They did a great job. It looks awesome and I am eagerly waiting for it.

Just that every day, from office/home I am checking the update page nearly 3-4 times a day, waiting to see if any update after 15 April 2019 on releasing new home…. :) 

We all have office/personal/freelance projects in RL and we also have an estimated timeline for release to clients. It is perfectly OK to say, that the release may take a month or 2 or even 3.

So, would be really nice if at least an estimated time frame provided for new Linden Home release. I understand there is quite a hard work involved and it’s not an easy task either. Just that a small n quick update would do :) 

Thanks, Diane

You can watch your Dashboard where the blog feed is because that will be the first announcement location.  That will be followed very, very closely - I'm assuming - by an update to the Patch thread "The New Linden Homes Update Post".  You can 'follow' that thread and if you notifications are set up such - via your own Forum profile settings - then you'll get an email the minute that thread is updated.

7 hours ago, Wanda6 said:

It will surely only be houseboats. And they will probably be on the bottom left. 

While the current work area is down there on the bottom left, that entire houseboat / sand-island area will be replacing the 1/2 land, 1/2 sand long skinny island on the eastern side of the continent.  So it will be like this:
image.png.d946904439e45933a33c005f0cef0494.png

5 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Last time the blog was updated first followed super closely by forum posts -- and it was all done at roughly noon SLT.  So it was really the Europeans that were in the best position, time-wise, to be able to see the announcements and claim a house, since it would have been evening / after-work time for many of them, rather than middle of the work day.  At my company, I can't spend much time on the forums or even with my Dashboard page up - and it would be very much frowned upon if I had my eyes glues to my personal phone throughout the day.

I imagine they are already having discussions around when would be the best day and what time of day would be best.  If they opt for a weekend, they'll likely have to get quite a few LL folks to work that time that normally wouldn't be working then.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Last time the blog was updated first followed super closely by forum posts -- and it was all done at roughly noon SLT.  So it was really the Europeans that were in the best position, time-wise, to be able to see the announcements and claim a house, since it would have been evening / after-work time for many of them, rather than middle of the work day.  At my company, I can't spend much time on the forums or even with my Dashboard page up - and it would be very much frowned upon if I had my eyes glues to my personal phone throughout the day.

I imagine they are already having discussions around when would be the best day and what time of day would be best.  If they opt for a weekend, they'll likely have to get quite a few LL folks to work that time that normally wouldn't be working then.

Thanks, I really wasn't aware of the European timing and so I take my statements back.  It seemed from all the vast amounts of complaining conversations I read that it favoured the US and was mostly over when everyone else awoke.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

While the current work area is down there on the bottom left, that entire houseboat / sand-island area will be replacing the 1/2 land, 1/2 sand long skinny island on the eastern side of the continent.  So it will be like this:
image.png.d946904439e45933a33c005f0cef0494.png

Well, based on this new thread, the above placement, that many of us speculated on, seems to be incorrect.  The new location has been spotted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

On the subject of the dashboard.  I don't know about other people but I rarely spend any time on that page.  I have a saved bookmark directly to the forums and the only other areas I use like Marketplace and My Account are also bookmarked.  There are many areas of the secondlife.com website I don't visit much, if at all including the blogs which I seldom read.  So it isn't a given that everyone will automatically look there unless they know there is something to look for.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

The distinction makes no difference as far as I can see, blog, forum, website I see those as pretty much the same.  So you can assume I mean't blog post if you like.
Of course I wouldn't be fully aware of the correct timing or ordering as I would have been asleep when this happened last time most likely.

Well you had 24 - 48 hours depending on whether you wanted a houseboat or a house :D

• Like 3

Just now, Chic Aeon said:

Well you had 24 - 48 hours depending on whether you wanted a houseboat or a house :D

Yes, I know and I did manage to get a house later that first day.  I had no complaints.  I was giving my opinions based on my understanding of how things played out in response to Marcellus which I realise now was incorrect.  However, I was never saying there wasn't enough time.

13 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

On the subject of the dashboard.  I don't know about other people but I rarely spend any time on that page.  I have a saved bookmark directly to the forums and the only other areas I use like Marketplace and My Account are also bookmarked.  There are many areas of the secondlife.com website I don't visit much, if at all including the blogs which I seldom read.  So it isn't a given that everyone will automatically look there unless they know there is something to look for.

I'm pretty much the same way.  I seldom ever go to my actual Dashboard page.  I was working when the first batch was released and not checking the forums at all that day - there are actually many days when I never see the forums from work.  Due to other RL stuff, I actually didn't even know until around 7:00 or so that evening, would have been about 6:00 SLT, so 6 or so hours after release.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

You wanted a time frame, here's the latest update from our beloved Patch, posted 12 minutes ago:

Yes, this is perfect and it is good to see LL responding in this way.  Well done Patch :)

• Like 1

They say sooooon :) so hope if my chances come this time... and specially cos I am not in US time zone.. so doubt that I would get one this time too... lets hope :) 

3 hours ago, Diane Soulstar said:

They say sooooon :) so hope if my chances come this time... and specially cos I am not in US time zone.. so doubt that I would get one this time too... lets hope :) 

I have a nagging suspicion they'll all be gone within the first 5 minutes, LOL. @Patch Linden was recorded saying ca. as of 7 AM SLT, which would be about 16:00 hours (4 PM) my time (Netherlands). That would be a pretty decent time for us Europeans. :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I have a nagging suspicion they'll all be gone within the first 5 minutes, LOL. @Patch Linden was recorded saying ca. as of 7 AM SLT, which would be about 16:00 hours (4 PM) my time (Netherlands). That would be a pretty decent time for us Europeans. :)

Yeah definitely

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Well, if they release at 7:00 am SLT, all US folks that work typical daytime hours will be at work - pretty much like the last release.  Since claiming one only requires access to the web page, quite a few can probably manage that during the work day.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I just realised that this is 2am for me in NZ :(

I watch GoT and it's released 03 am for me. I just have to go to bed early, and drink energy drinks at work....😣

I have to get up 0530 anyway. So I can stretch it to 04 am.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I watch GoT and it's released 03 am for me. I just have to go to bed early, and drink energy drinks at work....😣

I have to get up 0530 anyway. So I can stretch it to 04 am.

Sadly that doesn't work for me and I don't drink energy drinks.  I need at least 7 hours and whatever I do needs to be fixable with a strong coffee.  I can stretch out getting up until 7am but no further unfortunately.  We shall see :|

OK, ignore everything I just said, I am going to stay up just this once.  Coffee is on standby.

Edited by Gabriele Graves