MissBegotten

Vampire Games

I'd like to chat with someone that knows all the SL vampire games and can give me honest information about them.  Please feel free to contact me in world.

Posted (edited)

♫They never let poor Rhonda join in any vampire games.♪

Then one foggy Halloween, Satan came to say.
Rhonda with your bright face light, won't you suck my ...

wait, that's a line for another thread

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)

@MissBegotten

As far as I know, there are four vampire/lycan gaming systems currently in SL.

• Bloodlines.  This is the oldest system.  Bite requests are visible to the intended victim, and require that they accept the bite request.
  • Progeny.  This system does not require the victim's permission to be bitten ("Silent bite").  Victims must be closer than 3 meters.  There is at least one Progeny detector device available so victims can detect and keep out of range of Progeny vampires.
  • The Hunger.  Like Progeny, does not require the victim's permission.  I am unaware of any detection devices for this system.
  • Afterlife.  This is a new system, similar to Progeny and The Hunger.  I am not sure, but it may be based on the "Angels and Demons" roleplaying system.

All of these systems can be problematic for both players and victims.  For players, they constitute something of a "pyramid scheme", and require a significant and ongoing outlay for devices and accessories.  Victims often view them as unwanted harassment; many people don't care to be an involuntary participant in someone else's roleplay or quest for the next level.

Many people think that the best vampire roleplaying games are ones that don't require any system, accessories, or scorekeeping.  Just...you know, BE a vampire!  Miss Gabriele Graves, who often visits these forums, is one of the best, and sexiest, vampires I know.  She uses no system but herself.  Wowza.

I am not a vampire, nor do I play one on TV.  You now know just about everything I know about SL vampires.  For more information, search for relevant groups and landmarks in world!

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 3

I don't usually respond to threads about vampire games but I will make an exception today because I am in the neighbourhood, lurking :ph34r: and Lindal said such lovely things about me. :x

I guess it comes down to what you want from a vampire game vs. roleplay.  If you like earning points for things achieved at least as much as you like pretending to be a vampire then a formal game is probably your best choice though I cannot recommand any due to not being that interested myself and the issues that Lindal outlined.  Hopefully there are games out there that are less annoying to people who do not want to participate.

However if roleplay is your thing then as Lindal said, nothing holds you back except your imagination.  Most people, despite many expressing vampires in largely negative light, actually enjoy roleplay with us and will have a lot of fun just out in SL when you encounter them.  You can also still choose to frequent and mix with others playing the games due to many roleplay areas allowing both game players and roleplayers.

I have been a vampire in SL since late 2007 but never participated in a points based vampire game and do not like them at all.  I have participated in roleplay in dedicated roleplay sims and as well as out in the general populace of SL and can tell you that both can be very rewarding.  Roleplay sims are a good place to start, they do have characters and a combat HUD but this is much different from a points based vampire game because the aim isn't to get points for bites, it is all about the the stories and character development.  In the points based game, the roleplay is very much an afterthought and not the main aim.

If you roleplay out in the rest of SL, just make sure that the person is interested in your roleplay and disengage if you get the vibe that they are unconfortable or your roleplay is unwelcome.  One way I find most effective is to roleplay a vampire attempting to hide within "normal society", you don't reveal what you are, you hint and play at it until the other people are fully engaged for example.  Above all, be respectful and have fun, vVVv

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I don't usually respond to threads about vampire games but I will make an exception today because I am in the neighbourhood, lurking :ph34r: and Lindal said such lovely things about me. :x

I guess it comes down to what you want from a vampire game vs. roleplay.  If you like earning points for things achieved at least as much as you like pretending to be a vampire then a formal game is probably your best choice though I cannot recommand any due to not being that interested myself and the issues that Lindal outlined.  Hopefully there are games out there that are less annoying to people who do not want to participate.

However if roleplay is your thing then as Lindal said, nothing holds you back except your imagination.  Most people, despite many expressing vampires in largely negative light, actually enjoy roleplay with us and will have a lot of fun just out in SL when you encounter them.  You can also still choose to frequent and mix with others playing the games due to many roleplay areas allowing both game players and roleplayers.

I have been a vampire in SL since late 2007 but never participated in a points based vampire game and do not like them at all.  I have participated in roleplay in dedicated roleplay sims and as well as out in the general populace of SL and can tell you that both can be very rewarding.  Roleplay sims are a good place to start, they do have characters and a combat HUD but this is much different from a points based vampire game because the aim isn't to get points for bites, it is all about the the stories and character development.  In the points based game, the roleplay is very much an afterthought and not the main aim.

If you roleplay out in the rest of SL, just make sure that the person is interested in your roleplay and disengage if you get the vibe that they are unconfortable or your roleplay is unwelcome.  One way I find most effective is to roleplay a vampire attempting to hide within "normal society", you don't reveal what you are, you hint and play at it until the other people are fully engaged for example.  Above all, be respectful and have fun, vVVv

Thank you for this reply. I've played two systems. Bloodlines and Progeny. What I liked about both was I got a lot of friends really fast. And most of them were fun.  Between the two i liked Progeny better. Sneaking up on people and biting them without them knowing took time to learn.  I had to get creative.  What I disliked about it was there was lots of fighting with other families or groups or whatever. Anyplace I went off my family's land I could be attacked.  Fighting other vampires wasn't what I had in mind and no one told me about that part of the game. I wasn't allowed to stay neutral. I spent lots of $L trying to buy gadgets to protect myself but, in the end, i just had to quit the game. But I miss the friendships.

How do you play outside the games? What compels you to take blood? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissBegotten said:

Thank you for this reply. I've played two systems. Bloodlines and Progeny. What I liked about both was I got a lot of friends really fast. And most of them were fun.  Between the two i liked Progeny better. Sneaking up on people and biting them without them knowing took time to learn.  I had to get creative.  What I disliked about it was there was lots of fighting with other families or groups or whatever. Anyplace I went off my family's land I could be attacked.  Fighting other vampires wasn't what I had in mind and no one told me about that part of the game. I wasn't allowed to stay neutral. I spent lots of $L trying to buy gadgets to protect myself but, in the end, i just had to quit the game. But I miss the friendships.

How do you play outside the games? What compels you to take blood? 

It comes down to imagination and that is really all you need.  If you were in a pure roleplaying game where there were no HUDs or points, you would roleplay the need for blood and the many ways of seeking it.  Why?  Because you have to imagine you are that character and how they would be motivated by the thirst.  You could even make up stories around applying for jobs at blood banks and act them out.  This is how stories in a pure SL roleplay environment works.  Out in the general population you cannot really create long winded stories and there is no continuity of other characters around you and so this is harder unless you have friends who like to play along and that is a possibility to explore.  You could find a like minded bunch of folks and form your own small roleplay group.  You don't need land, just an agreement to gather to roleplay someplace and there are many great sims to do that in.

Failing that you could imagine yourself as a lone vampire in a sea of food humans and create smaller stories about staying undetected and feeding without being caught.  A lone vampire can be as vunerable as the prey they hunt when they are that outnumbered.  It would help to create a backstory about your character, where you come from and how you became a vampire, etc.
If that sounds far too hard, I would recommend trying to find a roleplaying sim that doesn't use points-based HUDs and starting with them.  It will give you experience in the art of weaving a story around your character, other people to roleplay with and allow you time to learn how pure roleplay enviroments work and what rules they have.  Once you have done that for a while, it is easier to then roleplay outside of that environment should you want to.

[ As the last of her words hang in the air, Gabriele once more fades silently into the shadows leaving behind a faint aroma of roses ]

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2019 at 12:07 AM, Lindal Kidd said:
  • The Hunger.  Like Progeny, does not require the victim's permission.  I am unaware of any detection devices for this system.

I buildt one myself based on old info in their pages - but a field test in their sim proved it does not work.

A&D and Afterlife seem HUD based. The only way to detect those is to join the game, add the HUD and rat out all fellow players to your security system - sounds extreme but there is at least one club I suspect doing so (they don't dissallow them but they forbid active biting/fighting). I have no freakin idea about estate owner's possibilities - but disabling the IP adresses of their servers for LSL http calls should end biting. If you cannot filter out specific IPs for http connects consider filing a JIRA for this feature. I bet it will be welcomed (well OK, maybe not among the leeches :D).

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

I recently found a script which is anti-vampire. 10 years and I didn't know such existed. Boy happiest time of my life. It's said the script sends an overload signal through the TCP connection to the other user. SL is FUN :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Daffao said:

It's said the script sends an overload signal through the TCP connection to the other user.

Well ... don't believe everything you read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Daffao said:

I recently found a script which is anti-vampire. 10 years and I didn't know such existed. Boy happiest time of my life. It's said the script sends an overload signal through the TCP connection to the other user. SL is FUN :)

Sure it does.  And a fat man in a red suit comes down your chimney to bring you presents at Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've played Bloodlines... I have a vamp avie and a human one... I don't like the pyramid scheme aspect of it -- but then, that only applies if you choose to play it as intended. If you don't worry about such things, it's more fun. 

Also, there was a sim, Sunnydale, based on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and another one that reminded me of Fangtasia from True Blood. I'm sure there are others, you just need to know the ring fangs to find them, or better yet -- stalk them like prey & see it takes you. ;)

• Like 1

Bloodlines is the big one.  The only downside I can see to it is that any newcomers are rather late to the party.  There are a lot of people already quite well established in the system.