People on world map not showing up

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4735 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I'm in a world, I see people's dots on the map, but their names aren't showing up where the screen names usually appear. When I start up, it usually says something about my graphics card not being up to date or something, but I doubt that's the cause. =/

if you mean their names are not showing up in the "nearby" list, it's probably because they are at a largely different altitude... by default, that list only shows names of people within 20m of you, and can be increased to as much as 130m in the people finder... and to the entire region plus if you change the debugsetting "NearbyRange" (I think that's the name of it, it's "near something" to 4112.

Where exactly don't they show up? Nearby people tab or mini map? On the mini map, the names always show up. The list of avatars in a region is technically always retrieved from the region itself, so you always get everyone that is in a concrete region.

But - and that is the case with the nearby people tab: The information a region returns about the position of an avatar is stored in an integer bit mask with 8 bits each for x, y and z position. That means, each value can at maximum be 255. In case of the z position, the value is multiplied by 4. So if an avatar is above 1020m, the returned value for the z position is wrong (usually 0 is returned) and you often see strange phenomena. A workaround - that is actually used for the nearby people tab - is, trying to take the viewer objects of avatars (the representation of an avatar within the viewer) into account. They always have the exact position information. But: This only works if an avatar is within draw distance!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4735 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.