Need help setting up multiple viewers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I need help. This is what I want to do. I need to start 3 multiple instances of SL v.2.6 that have preferences set at the lowest possible lag settings. I play Tiny Empires and when Trader comes I need to open 3 viewers for my Alts and don't have time to reset the viewers prefs with such a lag rate that running 3 viewers causes on my computer.

Can I make a copy of SL v.2 and set the preferences and shortcut to that copy of SL? Or does the program share preferences. Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Lib

You don't have to make copies of the program. You just need to launch separate instances using --multiple as a parameter.

The easiest way to accomplish what you want is:

1. Make a copy of settings.xml (or settings_phoenix.xml, etc.) and rename it (ex.: settings_Altapalooza.xml). (See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User_settings for location, etc.).

2. Create a new shortcut using the --multiple parameter and also add --settings settings_Altapalooza.xml. (ETA: There is more than likely a --settings parameter already in the shortcut, just edit it to reflect the new user settings file.)

3. Launch the viewer using the new shortcut and edit your preferences.

4. Close the viewer.

5. Copy the new shortcut so that you have one for each of the alts that you want to log in.

6. Add this parameter to each --login <firstname> <lastname> <password>, filling in the info for each without the brackets.

Don't delete your original shortcut. It will still launch using the preferences you have set for your main.

There may be other parameters you want to experiment with. See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_parameters

ETA: Skip steps 5 and 6 if you don't want to store your PWs in this way. Just makes it easier to log in multiples.

be careful with the --login parameter, currently there is a bug in the v2x viewer where enabling this option causes some menus not to be initialized (the delete button, and all the select/cut/copy/paste actions, possibly others)

there is a fix in the dev version of the viewer for that (an other things) but it hasn't made it to the release or beta versions yet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.