Bellisaria Covenant and commercial activity

Maitimo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I could have sworn that when I took my Bellissaria Home, there was a clause in the covenant that prohibited the use of the Linden Home for any kind of commercial activity, including tip-jars. However, I cannot find this clause in the covenant now. Has it been removed, or was I imagining that it was there in the first place? And if it's been removed, was that intentional, or an accidental omission?

Does @Patch Linden know anything about this?

While it would be nice to be able to put out a tip jar in my pub or hire a DJ for a party, I'm hoping it's accidental and that someone at the Lab is going to hurriedly put it back in before the whole place turns into a giant mall.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Phew, what a relief! Thank you!

(It ought to be in the in-world Covenant too, though).

I totally agree! All it has is a vague reference to the Linden Homes Terms and Conditions, and no clue as to where one might read them! (I know it's what we all agreed to when claiming our homes, but hey, can we have a reference copy, please?)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

At least that explains why I remembered reading it but couldn't find it again.

I remember the tip jar statement. That is true on other Linden properties. I see that it is not in the current covenant and I also see a new thing that I don't remember being there -- so maybe the covenant has changed.  It certainly COULD be that the "tip jar" rule was on the Linden Preview Home land tab at the Home Expo (which I read many times) and that was changed when the region opened. Don't no that, just a guess.  Maybe someone official can comment. 

But it wasn't just you. OR it is both of us and we were over in Reality 9757B LOL 

Edit: I went back to the Linden Homes preview site which was still up not long ago but now I am not allowed into that region. It seems to still be there though. 

ALSO "I read" the non-commercial as not being able to take money from sales (and tip jars can sometimes be included  or not). There are certainly some decorated houses that were set up for commercial purposes, but they aren't SELLING things, just SHOWING things.    

Would be good I agree to get a more concrete idea on what the covenant was meant to impart. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Thanks 1

The Linden Homes wiki page says:

You may not:

• Remove or replace the Linden Home completely, nor may you modify the external appearance of the home, except with the house control panel.
  • Deed the land to a group or sell it to another Resident. If you no longer want the home, you may abandon it to Linden Lab.
  • Use the home or parcel for an in-world shop or other business, except in areas where commercial activity is specifically allowed.

I suppose that leaves open a possibility that LL might decide to allow commercial activity at some time, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that it's allowed now.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Use the home or parcel for an in-world shop or other business, except in areas where commercial activity is specifically allowed.

AHHHHHH.  Most of us missed that (well I don't think that same info is in the LAND TAB Covenant as I just reread that so I guess it depends where folks are getting there info) BUT we have been wondering what a section of the SSP map is ---- it looks very much like a commercial area and YOU may have the missing key there.

Good sleuthing.    

image.png.8dccaf7503c6fc9df3131fdd1eb9eaa7.png

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The Linden Homes wiki page says:

You may not:

• Remove or replace the Linden Home completely, nor may you modify the external appearance of the home, except with the house control panel.
  • Deed the land to a group or sell it to another Resident. If you no longer want the home, you may abandon it to Linden Lab.
  • Use the home or parcel for an in-world shop or other business, except in areas where commercial activity is specifically allowed.

I suppose that leaves open a possibility that LL might decide to allow commercial activity at some time, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that it's allowed now.

If you can't modify the exterior appearance what about all the addons i have been seeing for these homes? I saw a really cool front porch and a back deck I want to get for when I get my home will LL say we can't use them?

5 minutes ago, Dragon692014 said:

If you can't modify the exterior appearance what about all the addons i have been seeing for these homes? I saw a really cool front porch and a back deck I want to get for when I get my home will LL say we can't use them?

Patch said add-ons are fine and in fact, encouraged. What you can't do is change the outside of the actual house itself. The house is no mod so it's impossible to change the exterior of the building. 

Here's his post in regards to this subject. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Patch said add-ons are fine and in fact, encouraged. What you can't do is change the outside of the actual house itself. The house is no mod so it's impossible to change the exterior of the building. 

Here's his post in regards to this subject. 

Awesome thanks so much can't wait until i get my house I put my down payment down (Just became a premium member 2 days ago) just waiting for them to build it lol

• Like 2

On the main site it states it prohibited for business and any large events. Mainly due to not having people have parties with large crowds on the sim interfering with others ability to be n the sim. 

They may have a shopping mall later , the questing is will they charge extra. 

I wouldn't be surprised if a region is added with a night club and other venues.

15 minutes ago, anthonytorino said:

On the main site it states it prohibited for business and any large events.

I haven't noted anything about large events, certainly about business though. I certainly could have missed it though.

Can you please let is know where that is stated? Thanks.  

The covenant has changed a few times and I'm guessing they missed the 'commercial' exclusion this time.  Here is a link to the original covenant from the Preview area that Chic posted back in March:  https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/426577-ssp/?do=findComment&comment=1870291

And here is a comment by Blush where she mentions that the covenant does not exclude commercial use - and then later modifies that statement after the covenant was apparently changed (probably due to that commercial restriction oversight).  https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/426577-ssp/?do=findComment&comment=1870258

Back in March, the covenant was not matching in all places.  My guess is that when they added the Security Orb part the other day, they grabbed the original version that was missing the commercial restriction.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Cam Mode said:

Did they ever figure out if the old Linden homes can now have skyboxes since the newer rules  that say OK to them are what you click to agree prior to getting assigned to one.

Someone did clarify that - in the SSP thread, I believe.  The old Linden homes covenant is not changing, so no skyboxes.  The covenant is what it says in your about land, not what is on that sign up page.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

ALSO "I read" the non-commercial as not being able to take money from sales (and tip jars can sometimes be included  or not). There are certainly some decorated houses that were set up for commercial purposes, but they aren't SELLING things, just SHOWING things.    

Would be good I agree to get a more concrete idea on what the covenant was meant to impart. 

I put in my profile that I wasn't sponsored, and have open house, because I participate in the community's "Parade of Homes".

Just for good measure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, anthonytorino said:

[1.] They may have a shopping mall later , the questing is will they charge extra. 

[2.] I wouldn't be surprised if a region is added with a night club and other venues.

1. Unlikely.

2. I would be.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, anthonytorino said:

Skyboxes are not allowed for first-generation Linden Homes."

I saw a lot of skyboxes on Petunia (LH) and they were all far below 2000 meters.

However, the saying “Where there is no plaintiff, there is no judge” also comes to mind here as this prohibition has often breached in practice. 

1 hour ago, AngieRath said:

If I want to shop or go to a nightclub, I prefer to take a taxi to other locations.

A cafe or something like that would be ok.

I agree, it's a home region, why have nightclubs and stores on the doorstep? There's a whole lot of mainland out there with a lot of things that people are asking for. And for those wanting to 'travel' to them, well, Sansara, Heterocera and Jeogeot are within flight range.

I know a couple of homes that have been made into cafes, and very nice they are too! My personal favourite has to be the Pub though.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

AHHHHHH.  Most of us missed that (well I don't think that same info is in the LAND TAB Covenant as I just reread that so I guess it depends where folks are getting there info) BUT we have been wondering what a section of the SSP map is ---- it looks very much like a commercial area and YOU may have the missing key there.

Good sleuthing.    

image.png.8dccaf7503c6fc9df3131fdd1eb9eaa7.png

Maybe it's apartments!   Or a homeless shelter for those waiting for new homes..lol.

• Haha 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.