Linden Lab Closed Door Policy

j0Q

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1806 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Adult activity on Moderate land must be conducted "behind closed doors," meaning that you must make every reasonable effort to ensure that the parcel is private. That means turning on Hide Avatars. Clicking off □ Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel. 

I was searching for places to rent and found a really nice skybox with a lot of options. In the rental's description it assured tenants of total privacy that neighbors can not see or chat with you. However it failed to mention that the multiple stacks of people above and below the rental skybox could. So my question is if were to rent the skybox and a Peeping Tom renting above or below me finds my adult activity offensive to them and ARs me, who is at fault me or the property owned landlord? I know I wouldn't be able take the necessary steps to hide avatars so I would be knowingly violating the Closed Door Policy. I don't know if that policy is enforced but I don't want to put myself in a position where I would set myself up to get an AR

Thanks for any replies in advance.

So the Behind Closed Doors is no longer a policy. Got it. I suppose it's time for someone to update things. Left me confused as to what is right and wrong. I decided against renting there. Just the fact that Peeping Toms will undoubtedly cam is enough for me not rent the skybox.

Thank you for your reply.

Technically, if you are in a stacked skybox and your skybox is fully blocking any view from outside, you're not violating the policy. If someone moved their cam view into your home to see you that would be a violation of your privacy and any AR they tried to make is invalid. It would be pretty easy for Linden to verify the situation if they teleported outside the skybox and checked.

However, stacked skyboxes are a terrible idea in my opinion. So good for you. 👍

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, j0Q said:

So the Behind Closed Doors is no longer a policy.

It still is, and Kali’s answer is right: it just doesn’t mean what you think. “... every reasonable effort...” implies that the Adult content mustn’t be easily seen from an exterior observer’s casual point of view. Tenants in those other skyboxes couldn’t claim they see it from their houses even if they didn’t want to, because to do so they would have to send their cam to a considerable distance and make it go inside closed doors. That’s exactly what it means.

3 hours ago, j0Q said:

So my question is if were to rent the skybox and a Peeping Tom renting above or below me finds my adult activity offensive to them and ARs me, who is at fault me or the property owned landlord?

Actually, the Peeping Tom would, for the reasons explained above. Also, in practice it’s very unlikely a Governance agent would come check the AR’s validity while you were still performing the Adult activity (unless you & your partner(s) have a lot of stamina), so this policy more usually applies to static Adult content such as erotic pictures in the interior walls. Either way, as long as it is within closed doors, the AR would still be dismissed.

It’s another thing that a determined Peeping Tom could see the Adult activity or contents: yes, he could, and perhaps the rental’s description was misleading about that. But that’s not about LL-actionable policy, which is what you were asking 😉

• Like 3

6 hours ago, j0Q said:

multiple stacks of people above and below the rental skybox

I'd like to shift the discussion about the 'closed door policy' problem to one about the 'stacked skybox' problem, because to me, it seems a much more problematic one.

sl_view.thumb.jpg.4c0d4b85b9771d9a009a845346dd3622.jpg.6db01d9852492fa04dc8dae608fd4c76.jpg

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, j0Q said:

So the Behind Closed Doors is no longer a policy. Got it. I suppose it's time for someone to update things. Left me confused as to what is right and wrong. I decided against renting there. Just the fact that Peeping Toms will undoubtedly cam is enough for me not rent the skybox.

Thank you for your reply.

That's not what I said. I said that behind closed doors means behind closed doors.  If you are inside your own property, it doesn't matter that others can see you if they cam inside your place, you did your due diligence by being inside.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1806 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.