Unsubscribe Link Requirement

Lance Swain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think I remember a while back that businesses are required by LL to have an unsubscribe link in IMs to customers. I might be mistaken, but I can't seem to find this in the TOS or anywhere else on the website.

Does anyone recall this?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jules Catlyn said:

Unsubscribe from what? Newsletters and such?

All messages that come from Second Life have the "unsubscribe" link, which is really just your preferences to receive offline communication found on your account page. As for in-world creators/merchants auto-subscribing you to those amazingly-annoying marketing messages, etc., the only way to unsubscribe from those is to block the creator, which I do within the blink of an eye the moment I get in-world and before I finish rezzing. It works like a charm.

• Thanks 1

You may also need consider if the business in question uses subscrib-o-matic kiosk.  Those do not take up user group space, but you will have to go to that particular store in question, find the subscribo and hit it to "unsubscribe".  Be sure and wait for your choice to be confirmed before you teleport away. Subscribos also have a way for you to view and manage all your subscriptions online. 

16 hours ago, Rockridge Constantine said:

You may also need consider if the business in question uses subscrib-o-matic kiosk.  Those do not take up user group space, but you will have to go to that particular store in question, find the subscribo and hit it to "unsubscribe".  Be sure and wait for your choice to be confirmed before you teleport away. Subscribos also have a way for you to view and manage all your subscriptions online. 

This is what I was referring to. Blocking the owner is faster and easier for me. LOL

• Thanks 1

Yeah I find this one of the most annoying practices in SL... The first part of my login day is usually TPing around and unsubscribing from stores IF I CAN... many of these merchants don't even provide an unsubscriber so then plan B is to send them a notecard explaining to them I do not want to be on their spam list and to kindly remove me from them... if Plan B does not work then and only then do I block them... I honestly hate blocking people in SL and I don't have a very large block list but I would be willing to guess most of the people on that block list are spammers

I agree though... if you are going to have a group like that there should be a policy that a person needs to opt into a subscriber and not be placed on automatically cause you happened to walk into their land or purchased a demo on the MP...

Merchants... If you are reading this thread...  Just STOP it

31 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

Yeah I find this one of the most annoying practices in SL... The first part of my login day is usually TPing around and unsubscribing from stores IF I CAN... many of these merchants don't even provide an unsubscriber so then plan B is to send them a notecard explaining to them I do not want to be on their spam list and to kindly remove me from them... if Plan B does not work then and only then do I block them... I honestly hate blocking people in SL and I don't have a very large block list but I would be willing to guess most of the people on that block list are spammers

I agree though... if you are going to have a group like that there should be a policy that a person needs to opt into a subscriber and not be placed on automatically cause you happened to walk into their land or purchased a demo on the MP...

Merchants... If you are reading this thread...  Just STOP it

Why would you hesitate to block someone if you don’t want to hear from him? You can always contact him if you have something to say.

1 minute ago, Pamela Galli said:

Why would you hesitate to block someone if you don’t want to hear from him? You can always contact him if you have something to say.

Because I just don't feel like anytime someone annoys me for one reason or another that my first option should always be to block that person... I also feel that also enables the culture of spam lists... We will keep on spamming and you can go ahead and keep on blocking... fine that is sort of the current state of things and probably most people deal with it that way. It's the easiest way i suppose... And it ultimately is my last resort method... 

I am just not an inherently trigger happy blocker... that's me... that is my personality online in general (maybe with the exception of twitter I will block like crazy on twitter)...

I never send advertising IMs and who is in my group by free will, is getting only group message about new item.

But sometimes I send critical update or enhancement or completely rebuilt update, eg. after some buyers feedback or if I find something I'm not happy about and do not want to sell the item like that, esp if that item was brand new not older than few weeks.

So for me blocking seller ad hoc after buying something before you even received any advertising IM might not be very smart @Alyona Su...
If some merchant or anybody else sends unwanted IMs = instant block in eye blink of course.

Unfortunately there are some retailers that make up their own mailing lists -- sometimes from info in the visitor log  and sometimes seemingly out of the blue.  I have received (via alts) unsolicited messages over and over again even after blocking and even after writing to the owner of the delivery method. Sometimes they change the name on the delivery kiosk each time making blocking  not work. Sometimes they change the owners.

It seems pretty obvious that this is their PLAN.  By law in the US (not sure about other countries) businesses are supposed to remove folks from any mailing lists if asked to do so. But sometimes the folks sending out don't comply.  You can (and I have) reported the owner of the mailing kiosk in an AR under "excessive spam" or something akin to that.  That has worked for me in the past. After I finally get OFF their lists, I don't return to the store.  

The info in the notecard doesn't need to go to a webpage, it can be just a note saying "send a notecard to XXXXXX if you would like to be removed from this mailing list. 

• Like 1

Wouldnt that fall under a violation of the TOS?

(ii) Post or transmit unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, or promotional materials, that are in the nature of "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation that Linden Lab considers to be of such nature;

I personally cant stand it , i have never filed an abuse report but maybe that would stop it. I get it from events, stores and singers. I NEVER subscribe to a list so I know for a fact I didn't add myself. Sometimes, the "person" that sends it says "if you have received unsolicited advertising , please send me a notecard with 'remove' on it and you will be removed from the list as soon as possible" 

I have a better idea, how about not angering your customers and making us do extra work to be removed from your spam!

Ok, i feel better now.....

• Like 1

I get this all the time like many others.  I have written a notecard for this that quotes the relevant TOS section and warns the vendor that I did not sign up to the subscriber and do not agree to receiving stuff they are sending and if they don't desist, I will AR them to LL.  So far this is 100% stopped the spam from all vendors who do this, often with an apology and confirmation of removal as a response.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.