Landscape Photographs!

On 8/21/2022 at 9:00 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Love the long cinematic aspect ratio of this! It's a great shot! I keep meaning to experiment more with that myself.

Thanks, Scylla doing a few more of these moody shots so will post them in due course when they are all done, I seem to have become a little addicted to my wide pictures.

• Like 1

I started my own little tradition 5 years ago.  At this time each of the past 5 years I've taken a photo commemorating a wildfire.  5 years ago, the Columbia River Gorge burned, and I mourned the loss of trails I regularly hiked. A couple years after that wildfires hit south of me.  2 years ago the wildfires came for me and I had to get out fast.  Luckily, I did not lose my home.

Each time the wildfires were burning my sky turned a dark, milky orange color.  You couldn't see 30 meters or even tell where the sun was in the sky.  The air was thick, hot, and sticky.  Just breathing was hard.   

This morning I woke to the faint smell of another far away wildfire.  So, this year I wanted to try and capture the air from those other 3 fires. I had to do some post processing to get the right orange color.  I didn't get quite as much smoke in the air as I wanted, but I ran out of tools to try in my photo editor.

image.thumb.jpeg.eead63354114da6a8d47b918c131e8ec.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I started my own little tradition 5 years ago.  At this time each of the past 5 years I've taken a photo commemorating a wildfire.  5 years ago, the Columbia River Gorge burned, and I mourned the loss of trails I regularly hiked. A couple years after that wildfires hit south of me.  2 years ago the wildfires came for me and I had to get out fast.  Luckily, I did not lose my home.

Each time the wildfires were burning my sky turned a dark, milky orange color.  You couldn't see 30 meters or even tell where the sun was in the sky.  The air was thick, hot, and sticky.  Just breathing was hard.   

This morning I woke to the faint smell of another far away wildfire.  So, this year I wanted to try and capture the air from those other 3 fires. I had to do some post processing to get the right orange color.  I didn't get quite as much smoke in the air as I wanted, but I ran out of tools to try in my photo editor.

I used to live in CA, and I thought the fires were bad THEN. The whole thing out west has just gotten... insane(r). I'm so sorry you're going through this yet again.

The photo is lovely, scary, somber. Thanks for explaining it. I hate the whole "hopes and prayers" stuff but sometimes...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I couldn't give your picture a 'like' because... wild fires.  However, you did a wonderful job of conveying the sky and air close to a fire. 

I live in California, but we've been lucky in my area with not having any catostrophic wild fires the past few years.  I do live not too far from where the Tubbs fire was in 2017 though, and that is something I won't forget. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made an attempt at landscaping. Added grass, glowing trees, flowers in the grass, hedges. Then added an enchanted forest on the side yard. I'm not certain, but I think I heard a loud voice in the forest exclaiming "GET OAT AH MAY SWUMP!!" I wanted to give my Escy love a beautiful yard in SL.

Snapshot_149.jpg

Snapshot_147.jpg

Edited by Charalyne Blackwood
  • Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...