Head size

saskia1172003

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Your head size should measure as the size of your shoulders so feel free to do so.

If your shoulders measure 70 than your head should do the same. I think I'm done with it...

Thanks and bye!

Edited by saskia1172003
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

6 hours ago, saskia1172003 said:

Your head size should measure as the size of your shoulders

You shoulders should be 2 head heights wide for women and 2.5 heads for men.

I use a proportion chart when making shapes.  It makes it easy to set everything to normal before you start tweaking for the final shape.  This one is based on 8 head height.  The 7 1/2 head height is more of a classic shape but either one will do fine.

1066159000_2019-05-07_001(2).thumb.jpg.8a3da591b9147f978672b78a590a28d2.jpg

[ETA]

For what it's worth, there is zero correlation between the head sliders and the body sliders.  This is very much a Spinal Tap argument that since this one goes to 11 it must be better.  If your head width just happens to be the same as your shoulders that's just serendipitous luck. The number values mean nothing.  Once you add on mesh parts and how they react as well there is no way a set number on a slider is going to give a pleasing result.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, saskia1172003 said:

Your head size should measure as the size of your shoulders so feel free to do so.

If your shoulders measure 70 than your head should do the same. I think I'm done with it...

Thanks and bye!

Oh hell, no.

My head slider is set to 100 because my avatar is very tall, and even 100 isn't enough to be truly proportional to my height.. 100 on the shoulders slider looks absolutely ridiculous on me.

It's also going to vary from one mesh body to another, and be different again for the Classic body. For example, I use shoulders 60 on Gianni and 75 on Geralt, with both of these giving approximately the same result in appearance.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, saskia1172003 said:

If your shoulders measure 70 than your head should do the same.

I'll feel free to edit my body and head in the way that I want to, not in the way that someone else tells me to.

In addition, your advice sure as hell doesn't work for male avatars. Since I don't want my Signature Gianni body to have massive gym-shoulders and 'bracketed' upper arms I've had to reduce my shoulder width to 50, but to remain proportionate my head size is 82. If my head was also 50 I would look bloody ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

I've appreciated the meshes links but honestly, Gianni 75 is also good for standards, just in case of demos it may also be used without any add ons.

Edited by saskia1172003

13 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Yes I do. Interfaced with my 3d ocular enhancer comparator.

I'd agree but my oculars measure 75 and it is going to get 80 while my shoulders are 50, if I translate it into 3Ds it actually works as a 70 not 75.

Edited by saskia1172003
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I use a proportion chart when making shapes.  It makes it easy to set everything to normal before you start tweaking for the final shape.  This one is based on 8 head height.  The 7 1/2 head height is more of a classic shape but either one will do fine.

[ETA]

For what it's worth, there is zero correlation between the head sliders and the body sliders.  This is very much a Spinal Tap argument that since this one goes to 11 it must be better.  If your head width just happens to be the same as your shoulders that's just serendipitous luck. The number values mean nothing.  Once you add on mesh parts and how they react as well there is no way a set number on a slider is going to give a pleasing result.

I have a hairbrush you can borrow😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

On 5/7/2019 at 4:45 AM, saskia1172003 said:

Thanks and bye!

I did this, just for fun, and I about died laughing at how incredibly bad it looks.

There are a few designers out there though, that I think go by this rule, because their heads are huge with leeeeettle(little) bodies.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, s2Pandora said:

I did this, just for fun, and I about died laughing at how incredibly bad it looks.

There are a few designers out there though, that I think go by this rule, because their heads are huge with leeeeettle(little) bodies.

The SL Funko Pop Limited Edition Collectables.

I'm sorry, I am very ***** (particular) (apparently the 'a' word is a dirty word!) about trying to have proportions that look human in SL --- but in my experience with various meshes, standard and various shapes -- and avatars in both genders what I have found is VARIABLE. 

There is NO magic number that will work for everyone. 

Also, if you wear a mesh body, the sliders aren't all set to work or to respond predictably.  In general, they are configured according the skill and prejudice of the maker.  One maker told me that she maxed out the torso slider response at 50% for women (even when you have it set at 100%, the mesh will not look different).  This means her mesh isn't for me as I find her bodies spindly on top, even when you have huge breasts... you have thin arms and a very 'girly' shoulder profile that simply isn't remotely natural though it is all over SL. This is compounded by the short arms and tiny hands that a lot of people are running around with.

The fact that I was an athlete in younger life and have well developed shoulders, arms and legs and that I LIKE my (30 year old version) actual body meant I had to keep looking.

Anyway, I digress. 

Heads: I do believe most people -- and this is even more true of most males than females btw -- have heads that are way too small for the proportions of their bodies.  They rock the 'pin head' look.  So many people have small heads, that most people don't seem to notice it after a while.

This is further exacerbated by the fact that most people are more muscular than humanly natural (male) or have (often much) bigger than normative breasts. 

Add to this a neck that is almost always wrong in proportion to the body (mostly too short and too slender for women, and just plain too short for men).  It is NOT flattering and it's not found in nature (at least not in people we consider well proportioned).

A lot of factors affect your head's appearance (and even how big it looks) -- this includes how you have configured the various head sliders, what mesh head you are wearing and even what hair you tend to wear.  Also impacting your head/body proportions will be your body's proportions. 

Rule of thumb:

We aren't 50% anything... many people take the shapes they get and then use as is.  The result for many people is a too small head, too short arms, tiny hands, big hips, narrow shoulders and ***** (breasts) under their chins.  Avis that if human, would barely be able to pick up a package!

Unless you purchased a shape that is locked, you probably will need to adjust it -- and your head needs to (usually) be in excess of 60% on sliders, unless you are creating a tiny avi.  I think mine is somewhere north of 70% and my neck is also a lot longer than any native shape provides (so my ***** aren't under my chin).

Having a long neck in SL makes our too tall bodies look proportionally 'normal'.

No, I'm not saying you must give up your fantasy body! We must have our fun, after all! 🙂 However, if you want one that is humanly pleasing (if a bit 'improbable'), you need to meet at least a few parameters. 

Most people - including most women have shoulders that are at least somewhat WIDER than their hips. Yes, even women.  Pear shape tends to mean your torso is narrower, but genuinely narrow shouldered women whose shoulders are noticeably smaller than their hips are RARE.  Many women in SL are triangular in shape, with shoulders that are significantly smaller than their hips.  This isn't biomechanically likely... or practical.  Our arms fall at our sides... we're not towers with very short arms that slope outward. The reason is that our shoulders are wide enough that our hands fall naturally next to our hips... straight down.  Unless you are obese. 

There are proportion charts all over the internet -- so you can roll your own look if you'd like -- but for those of us who don't want to make a study of it, there's help in SL:

The very best body proportion guide I've found to this in SL is from Strawberry Singh.  https://strawberrysingh.com/2013/06/24/whats-your-digits-take-3-proportions-challenge/ 

(BTW: also buy her (1L) ankle lock off the mp while you're at it, if you're female.  Your ankles will look normal when you sit.  You're welcome!!)

Second Life Marketplace - StrawberrySingh.com by Strawberry Singh

Most makers of mesh, makers of shapes and makers of skins are reflecting what pleases them aesthetically. Some of them have zero clue about actual human proportions (though thankfully, this has improved).  The limits of creating a body from pixels also are a factor, as is the skill of the person creating the body.  All of what this adds up to may not look right for what you're trying to create.  This is why it really does pay to ask for help. Best of luck!!

Blue 

NOTE: I've studied human anatomy in both art and nursing school - so I come to my anatomy obsession by a lot of observation of how the human body works bio-mechanically -- what bodies ACTUALLY tend to do.  As I said, I was also a fairly serious athlete when I was younger.

Edited by DeepBlueJoy
clarity?! word substitution for words misconstrued as dirty
  • Like 2

On 5/7/2019 at 11:05 AM, Rhonda Huntress said:

[ETA]

The avi here is not obeying the rule.  The head is quite a bit smaller than it should be - if you look at the drawings, you'll see what I mean.  The head should fill up the square.  It's subtle, but it does make a difference.  Actually, the avi is not proportioned like the drawings at all... it is 'squat' compared to the body in the picture, though it is more or less within normal parameters, it could be more flatteringly proportioned.  The neck is too short and the hips are high b/c the legs are longer by proportion than is usual.  That last one is variable in normal people, however. I am short-waisted, and my inseam is the same as my husband, who is 4 inches taller than me.  (I'm all leg :-) )

I have always struggled with head size because I have a relatively full figure for SL and so what looks proportional sometimes seems huge especially when, as has been noted, a lot of heads appear to be on the small side.

Anyway, a wrinkle about head size not mentioned here is that many people camming in to look up your nostrils are using alt-zoom. It's the SL equivalent of walking up close to someone with a wide-angle lens, and in that sense the effect is quite realistic: the center is hugely distorted. Using the ctrl-0 zoom (or phototools view angle setting) is more akin to a digital zoom, which simulates a longer focal length by cropping the original view. This is more "accurate,"  but if people are viewing and setting their own shapes through an inherently distorted lens, who's to say what's correct, I guess.  If you already knew this and thought "Everybody already knew this!" ... I think you'd be surprised. If you didn't know this and think it can't possibly be true, try it and see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeepBlueJoy said:

The avi here is not obeying the rule.

You are absolutely right.
Rules are made to be broken ;)   However you need to know what the rules are and how to break them properly.  Like I said, start with the norm and then tweak from there.

My point was, it is all about ratios and not about an arbitrary number on a slider.  At 6' 1"  (the height of the board) my head size is not going to be the same an a similarly proportioned shape at 5" 4" for example.  There is no static one size fits all value.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 12:47 AM, saskia1172003 said:

You can set your height by the first option (modify your shape) at the body section window by the first scroll from 0 to 100.

For exmple, I'm tall 184 cm than I will set my height at 84.

Feel free to do the same.

Bye!

On 5/7/2019 at 2:45 AM, saskia1172003 said:

Thanks and bye!

Are you bored?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

You are absolutely right.
Rules are made to be broken ;)   However you need to know what the rules are and how to break them properly.  Like I said, start with the norm and then tweak from there.

My point was, it is all about ratios and not about an arbitrary number on a slider.  At 6' 1"  (the height of the board) my head size is not going to be the same an a similarly proportioned shape at 5" 4" for example.  There is no static one size fits all value.

What struck me about the chart you posted was seeing the high heels on the woman model.  The hair style also suggests some bygone era, but it just struck me as odd given the subject of body proportions, as she doesn't seem to be wearing anything else - just the high heels (or is that the heel size more commonly referred to as 'pumps'?  in my mind, anything with a heel is high heels).

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

or is that the heel size more commonly referred to as 'pumps'?

Pumps is the American word for court shoes.  It just means the top of the shoe is open, just barely covering the toes with no straps, buckles or other fasteners.  As such, pumps can have various heels like wedge, stiletto, etc.  I think the drawing here assumed a 2" heel.

There are many more proportion charts available.  This is just the one I grabbed because it has a matching male version and I use these boards in world for making shapes.

Here's one that is a bit more contemporary and probably closer to what I make.

end_1271358261.jpg

My arms (as in me in the meat space) are not this long.  With my arms at my side I can draw a straight line from the first knuckle of my thumbs that is also tangent to the bottom point of my crotch.  Since I scale my SL body to be just like my RL body ((yeah, we'll go with that)) my arms in SL are shorter than the drawings but also longer than most animations allow for.  But that's another rant all together.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.