Looking for AFK Poetry Site

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry if this has been asked before!

I'm looking for a place where I can read poetry -- whatever poetry I want -- to AFK avatars.

Setting and location is somewhat important. A Lake District cottage, or one in the New England countryside, would be great, but best would be a recreation of the Algonquin Hotel. Also acceptable would be an 18th-century salon (although I'd have to buy some blue stockings lol).

Animations would be nice, but a place that uses scripted responses in chat (eg. "I always feel a little dirty after hearing a villanelle, don't you?" or "Bring on those spondees!," or "Enjamb me again, Mr. Eliot, enjamb me again and again!") would be my preference.

Does anyone know how long the avatars usually stay AFK? I've been feeling in a bit of an "epic" mood of late.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So..they won’t be listening?

Would you?

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Does that make it “performance art”?

Sure! I get nervous reading poetry around people who are actually listening.

Fortunately, that seldom happens.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CheriColette said:

Will you be reading in voice?

Only if my audience is AFK!

Seriously. I love poetry, but even I hate my own voice reciting it.

So I'll probably have the sound turned off when I do it.

If you want, I could park one of my alts somewhere and you can read to it to your heart's content. I can not be held responsible for the behavior of said alt though. I'm always having to turn media off after one of them logs out.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

If you're just wanting to RP reading to an audience, but don't want anyone to actually be there listening, maybe set up the scene you're looking for on your land and just add in some fake mesh or animesh avatars (the animesh avis move around, they're super realistic)? Or, maybe finding a place themed like you desire that allows rez, and setting up your own avis?  There's also some Bot services that use SL avatars and can be programmed to say things at certain times. although you would have to pay for each one so it would be pricey to have multiple ones.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Does anyone know how long the avatars usually stay AFK? I've been feeling in a bit of an "epic" mood of late.

At least 24 hours.
My ISP forces a reconnect every 24 hours. But as it happens very fast, SL maybe even wont notice it and an avatar could stay online for several days!?

But that doesnt cover the risk of being disconnected by a region restart. The solution for that problem would be to use the Android Lumiya app, which offers a automatic relog option.
Combined with RLV and a force sit you could talk to afk avatars until your tongue falls off. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stephy Silvercloud said:

There's also some Bot services that use SL avatars and can be programmed to say things at certain times.

I bet its preferred to have them being silent. But it would be too funny, if once in a while the bot shouts "i want my money back", or throwing popcorn or peanut particles.

3 hours ago, Stephy Silvercloud said:

although you would have to pay for each one so it would be pricey to have multiple ones.  

Thats why you should go for copyable items.

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

If you want, I could park one of my alts somewhere and you can read to it to your heart's content. I can not be held responsible for the behavior of said alt though. I'm always having to turn media off after one of them logs out.

Thanks, Selene!

Do they have a convincing squirm animation?

10 hours ago, belindacarson said:

Just visit any of the bot filled infohubs 

Interesting idea! A little like the way in which they pipe classical music into shopping malls to keep the teens away?

LL may have just found a cost-effective and full-proof method of cleaning out the Infohubs! Ahern will never be the same.

8 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

But it would be too funny, if once in a while the bot shouts "i want my money back", or throwing popcorn or peanut particles.

Someone threw the volume 2 of the Norton Anthology at me once.

I kept it.

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Interesting idea! A little like the way in which they pipe classical music into shopping malls to keep the teens away?

LL may have just found a cost-effective and full-proof method of cleaning out the Infohubs! Ahern will never be the same.

From what I've heard about the infohubs, poetry using voice would be a positive improvement.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Combined with RLV and a force sit you could talk to afk avatars until your tongue falls off. :)

I gave some thought to this -- with, you know, maybe a good scripted rope object -- before thinking of the AFK thing.

The danger is that, if I decide I want to read any of the more "interesting" libertine poets, they're going to want to tie me up instead.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.