Catwa Head (Daniel), Belleza Body V2.0 (Jake) - Neck line issue

Trezz Vyper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1352 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

A friend set my mesh avi up and did a brilliant job; she was always good at this stuff. 

However, after returning from a few months break a couple of weeks back, and receiving the Jake (bento V2.0) update, and a few others, I decided to try and have a crack at doing it myself. Well... I've done ok, but can't for the life of me figure out how to fix this neck issue. My friend hasn't logged in, so can't ask her to sort it out.

Found that Mad Dog have neck fix for Catwa and Jake, but try as I might, even re-delivery of both head and body, still can't get that fix to work. Been at this all weekend (it's now Sunday night AU), and after 30 or so Hard-Resets, I'm about ready for the nut-house.

• Catwa Head Daniel - original purchased 2017 (can't seem to locate update - Mad Dog guide references updated HUD which I don't have)
  • Belleza Body Jake - updated Bento V2.0

Surely it can't be this complex and difficult?

Would sure appreciate some help and guidance, thank you :)

P.S. I realise some custom sim lighting can produce a neck color demarcation  line (I can live with that), but what I have here is normal day lighting.

Snapshot_001.jpg.ca1052a878625433102a168b9fe3f524.jpg

Edited by Trezz Vyper
P.S.

Catwa CSR here. Hopefully we can get you sorted out as quickly as possible.

Firstly, I think you mean Stray Dog, rather than Mad Dog ;)

You shouldn't need any neck fix as long as you're using the same skintone from the same skin designer for both head and body. Stray Dog skins fit perfectly well on both Daniel and Jake, so my initial suggestion would be to redeliver your Daniel head and start with a fresh copy. The current version is v3.2, and it now contains a load of new features including motion capture animations. To get an updated copy go to the Catwa inworld store (either of the two regions is fine). At the landing point you'll see several pillars that look like this:

711922804_Catwaredelivery.jpg.3e4003ecf3368ea0a0b3bd60af3a73db.jpg

Click the 'Redeliver' option, and - when the webpage loads - find your original purchase. It won't say 'update' or anything like that; it will just list the first version that you purchased. Click that link to redeliver, then - when you open that redelivery - the updated head will be inside.

I can't tell clearly from your image, since not only are you using default lighting but you're also underwater - but that looks like it might be Stray Dog's 'Tone 04' skin (earlier versions of that were called 'buttermilk'). I can see that you're aware of the whole 'preferable Windlight' thing, but don't want to use it; however - while trying to match skintones - it's always best to do it under such a preferable Windlight, just to ensure you're as close as you can get. The region Windlight setting at the Catwa store is set so that it gives a good light for skin-matching, so if you want to tuck yourself away there while you experiment it'll save you the hassle of having to change your own settings.

Add your v3.2 redelivered head, then re-apply your Stray Dog head applier. You should also be wearing the Stray Dog body skin applier in the same skintone, on your Jake 2.0 body. Do not use the 'Jake' neck size on the Catwa HUD Master M or apply the Stray Dog neck fix. It should not be necessary with the updated Jake body, and it's what's causing that differently-coloured stripe around your neck. Keep that neck size setting to the default 'off', as shown below:

1943142302_Catwamalenecksize.png.6ce35f1421a3b8b7f419697de7a8fea4.png

Do be aware, though, that for some reason it can be difficult to get a good match all the way around a male head and body join. I've used hundreds of skins and some are better than others for matching, but quite often - even with some big name brands - the match might be perfect at the front and sides but there's a visible shading difference at the back. Or the front and back are fine but the difference can be seen at the sides of the neck. Sorry to say that it's usually a case of either trial and error with skin designers, or 'get it as close as you can and ignore the bit that doesn't work so well'.

If you need a guide for working with the v3.2 Catwa Bento heads then I have one on my blog that's written specifically for guys. Come back to this post if the above doesn't fix the issue. I'll keep an eye on it over the long weekend, and I'll be inworld later and able to help you one-to-one if you need more detailed assistance. (I'm in the UK, so tend to be around in the evenings, GMT.) If you need immediate help, search for and join the Catwa Head Friends group inworld, and you can ask your question there (either in group chat, or you can IM one of the other CSRs that are online. All of us are listed in Catwa Clip's profile, or you can see who is online and contact them by means of the CSR boards at the store's landing point).

Edited by Skell Dagger

Hi Skell,

That's what confused me with the Catwa head. It had the original date of purchase of 2017. Live and learn!

Thanks for all the help you've added, I really appreciate it :)

I'll follow your suggestions, and guide (fingers crossed I'll nail it). However, if after a few attempts I don't succeed, I'll return and ask for more help.

Cheers

Trezz

Edited by Trezz Vyper

Welcome, and no problem. I'll be available to help in some way or another (either here on the forum or inworld). If inworld, check my profile. I don't hide my online status, so if I'm showing as offline then I'm offline ;) If I'm online then you'll get my autoresponse initially, but hang on for a few minutes and I should get back to you.

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue. My configuration is:

• Catwa head  v3.2
  • Belleza Jake  v2.1
  • Belleza Daniel skin

I am using the same skin tones for the head and body and the neck blender is turned OFF.    When I first purchase the three components I was able to get rid of the seam.  However, it seems that in the process of wearing various demos of clothing & attachments I have un-done whatever it is that I did to fix it. 

Below is a pic of the seam (taken in the Catwa region) and HUD's.

Note:  I was advised by a Catwa Help group member that setting my windlight settings to Catwa (or something similar) will cause the seam to disappear.  I have verified this.  However all other users who I ask to look at my neck see the seam.  I would hope that there is a way to blend the seam such that it works properly with any region's default environment settings - e.g., Noon.

Snapshot_003.jpg

Edited by Keith Lordhunter

Hi Keith. Catwa CSR here :)

I note that you state your Catwa head is v3.2, but you're using the v4.5 HUD. Please ensure that you're using the v4.5 head as well as the v4.5 HUD.

Several things could possibly be at play here:

• You're wearing a different skintone applier on the head
  • You've tinted the head
  • You've enabled BoM on the head and/or body and what you're seeing is a combination of skins
  • You've got environment/materials/gloss enabled on either the head or body (most likely on the head)

To ascertain which of those it could be, could you please do the following:

Apply the palest tone of both body and head applier, and check the following after you've done that:

• Do both the head and body change in tone when you use the applier? Doesn't matter if they match; I just need to know if they both change. This is a test to see if you have enabled BoM on either body or head, and to see if either body or head are either descripted or not responding to appliers
  • If they do both change, do you still look relatively 'normal' with only one head and body, or do you look odd with what appears to be a second head/body pushing through your mesh? This is a test to see if you have enabled BoM on either head or body (since using appliers will 'undo' the way that both Catwa and Belleza use BoM and you will see your system avatar poking through the mesh).
  • Does the head look greyish? This is a test to see if you have tinted the head.
  • If you move your camera around you, does your head look a bit shiny as the light catches your skin? This is a test to see if you have enabled environment/shine/gloss on the head

Please post your results, alongside any screenshots that you deem useful, and hopefully we'll get you fixed up quickly.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Keith Lordhunter said:

Note:  I was advised by a Catwa Help group member that setting my windlight settings to Catwa (or something similar) will cause the seam to disappear.  I have verified this.  However all other users who I ask to look at my neck see the seam.  I would hope that there is a way to blend the seam such that it works properly with any region's default environment settings - e.g., Noon.

I note, also, that you have edited your post to include the above. Having spoken to my fellow CSRs they have given me the below image that they took of you at the store:

7267c19e83f0b4c8b8e0e37bbc83164b.png

You were not advised to change your Windlight setting to "Catwa" as that setting does not exist. It's not possible to control how everyone else in Second Life views your avatar. Everyone's computer, graphics card, and graphics preference settings will be different. To someone using the lowest of low graphics settings because they're running Second Life on the proverbial potato your head and body probably wouldn't even rez.

I'm curious as to why my fellow CSR sees you looking perfectly normally but you see what looks like a completely different skintone on your head. That would suggest that something on your end of things may be causing the problem. It could be any of the things that I mentioned in my previous post (which I still want you to check) or it could be your own system/GPU/settings, or it could be a corrupt texture cache, or it could be a corrupt settings.xml file caused by a previous crash.

One might expect an occasional seam to be caused by default midday Windlight, but a complete difference in the entire head from the body is caused by something else.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Hi Keith. Catwa CSR here :)

I note that you state your Catwa head is v3.2, but you're using the v4.5 HUD. Please ensure that you're using the v4.5 head as well as the v4.5 HUD.

Several things could possibly be at play here:

• You're wearing a different skintone applier on the head
  • You've tinted the head
  • You've enabled BoM on the head and/or body and what you're seeing is a combination of skins
  • You've got environment/materials/gloss enabled on either the head or body (most likely on the head)

To ascertain which of those it could be, could you please do the following:

Apply the palest tone of both body and head applier, and check the following after you've done that:

• Do both the head and body change in tone when you use the applier? Doesn't matter if they match; I just need to know if they both change. This is a test to see if you have enabled BoM on either body or head, and to see if either body or head are either descripted or not responding to appliers
  • If they do both change, do you still look relatively 'normal' with only one head and body, or do you look odd with what appears to be a second head/body pushing through your mesh? This is a test to see if you have enabled BoM on either head or body (since using appliers will 'undo' the way that both Catwa and Belleza use BoM and you will see your system avatar poking through the mesh).
  • Does the head look greyish? This is a test to see if you have tinted the head.
  • If you move your camera around you, does your head look a bit shiny as the light catches your skin? This is a test to see if you have enabled environment/shine/gloss on the head

Please post your results, alongside any screenshots that you deem useful, and hopefully we'll get you fixed up quickly.

Thank you very much for the fast and thorough response - I've spent hours trying to fix this and you have no idea how much I appreciate your help. 🏆

Note: all of the pics below were taken in a sandbox with default environment setting (i.e., Noon).

1) When changing both the head and skin tone to the lightest tone both change. (And as I cycle thru each pair of tones both head and body change.) This is the second image below.   I also included a snapshot of the items which are attached to clarify the version numbers.

2) Yes, the avatar looks normal... no new heads or bodies appear.  The head turns a purple shade for less than a second before turning into the next darker/lighter shade.  I have see the phenomenon of a second avatar appearing in the past (for example, when wearing clothing/attachment demos) and completely replacing my outfit to the base set of Belleza & Catwa components that I originally unpacked fixes this. 

3) Yes, I believe the head does look "grey" or ashy when set at the lightest tone.  it's difficult to see in the pic below but the lightest tone of the face is a more pronounced 'grey' than the body tone. as you can see around the eyes and lips.

4) No, i don't detect any shininess on any portion of the head.

Again, thank you very much for your help with this problem - I really appreciate it.

Inventory.JPG

Snapshot_005.jpg

Thanks for going through those tests so thoroughly, Keith. Appreciated :)

OK, first of all I'd like you to ensure your head isn't tinted at all. Please use the Master HUD to click in the order shown below:

f2327fa7006532e7977153f456833f71.png

I can see that you have no materials set on that second tab of the head, but we also need to check that you have no materials set on the skins tab, so please follow the below:

848709d6906cb0397ffcb6adcf0525ef.png

Then we move to your Belleza body's HUD. I need to you set the HSL values on the skin as shown in this image, and also to click the 'clear' button, as below:

4ce8ad7792065b9a64ae9bb48e6b12fd.png

Lastly, we're going to remove the materials/environment on the body (which Lillith has noted, above). Please push the grey sections of the Gloss and Environment sliders all the way to the left, as below:

899cb3aba37867706bf8a45df81b3c53.png

Let me know how you get on from there.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Thanks for going through those tests so thoroughly, Keith. Appreciated :)

OK, first of all I'd like you to ensure your head isn't tinted at all. Please use the Master HUD to click in the order shown below:

I can see that you have no materials set on that second tab of the head, but we also need to check that you have no materials set on the skins tab, so please follow the below:

Then we move to your Belleza body's HUD. I need to you set the HSL values on the skin as shown in this image, and also to click the 'clear' button, as below:

Lastly, we're going to remove the materials/environment on the body (which Lillith has noted, above). Please push the grey sections of the Gloss and Environment sliders all the way to the left, as below:

Let me know how you get on from there.

1) Catwa Skin Diffuse -> white.   I believe this was already set but followed your steps anyway. below is a screenshot of that.

2) The Skin Materials - both Apply's are checked.

3) HSL = 0 0 100, clicked 'Clear'

4) Moved Gloss slider to far left. Environment already was far left.   Below is a screenshot of steps 2-4. 

I believe that the only thing that changed was the Gloss; I cannot see any difference in appearance when changing this.

It does appear to me that the head is still "grey'ish" when head & body are set at the lightest skin tone.

This may be irrelevant, but I did notice a body item from my legacy avatar attached - see the third pic with the inventory screenshot.

Snapshot_007.jpg

Snapshot_008.jpg

Snapshot_009.jpg

Edited by Keith Lordhunter

OK, after logging in, changing into fresh test versions of Belleza Jake v2.1 and Catwa Skell v4.5, switching my environment settings to default midday, then tweaking around, I've discovered the root of the problem. Thanks additionally go out to to Majer - one of my fellow CSRs - who also changed into the Jake/Skell combination and ran her own tests. When we compared results she got the same issue that you're experiencing, whereas I did not. I asked her for a screenshot of her viewer's graphics settings, and immediately saw what was different between her settings and mine.

Watch this video: https://i.gyazo.com/0da3d73f9221d185fe751c04f444a5d9.mp4

Screenshot version:

jakeneck01.jpg.791e0ebeb81f5d47baf145a62a3ece91.jpg

jakeneck02.png.1439b4b58e3c16162189b3f74a2e345f.png

Set your graphics preferences so the Shadows are 'Sun/Moon' as indicated in that second image, and the problem should go away.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

OK, after logging in, changing into fresh test versions of Belleza Jake v2.1 and Catwa Skell v4.5, switching my environment settings to default midday, then tweaking around, I've discovered the root of the problem. Thanks additionally go out to to Majer - one of my fellow CSRs - who also changed into the Jake/Skell combination and ran her own tests. When we compared results she got the same issue that you're experiencing, whereas I did not. I asked her for a screenshot of her viewer's graphics settings, and immediately saw what was different between her settings and mine.

Watch this video: https://i.gyazo.com/0da3d73f9221d185fe751c04f444a5d9.mp4

Screenshot version:

jakeneck01.jpg.791e0ebeb81f5d47baf145a62a3ece91.jpg

jakeneck02.png.1439b4b58e3c16162189b3f74a2e345f.png

Set your graphics preferences so the Shadows are 'Sun/Moon' as indicated in that second image, and the problem should go away.

Voila !!!

The seam vanishes.

Thank you very much for your time and assistance with this... and patience with a noob problem!    🏆🏆🏆

image.thumb.png.9ae4033509c0b75b2f795bb49e98c146.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1352 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.