How to I reply to emails in UK / EU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am traveling in The UK (and will be in Holland and France) and find that unlike in the US, I cannot reply to IMs sent as emails while I am not inworld. At least I assume the change in location is the cause, I suppose it could be something else unrelated.  I can read them fine but the reply-to address just disappears, even when I copy and paste it in. Reply To just has the Avi name, not the usual LL address. 

Has anyone else had this problem? Or know a solution?

37 minutes ago, Sassy Romano said:

Welcome, I hope you enjoy your visit.

Remember to look right when crossing the road but you can cross anywhere you like, there's no jaywalking law.

and remember we have... rain

rain raining GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sassy Romano said:

Welcome, I hope you enjoy your visit.

Remember to look right when crossing the road but you can cross anywhere you like, there's no jaywalking law.

Thank you! That explains a lot!  But I can’t figure out what side of the sidewalk to walk on.

3 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

But I can’t figure out what side of the sidewalk to walk on.

Just do what you'd normally do at home.  They are the ones that do it all wrong.   :D

/me runs and hides from the UK folks

Side note: Did something happen to the picture that is typically part of your signature?  This is what I've been seeing the last few days - I see pics in other signatures fine:
image.png.49916b1b89d6b62d51f8a6040c4d2917.png

ETA: Oh, and as to the email problems part of this discussion, as you mentioned, I'd definitely try some other apps.  I've never done a lot of IM responding while on vacation, but I know I was able to do so from Mexico once.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

7 hours ago, Sassy Romano said:

Remember to look right when crossing the road

Its silly how much of a difference this makes. Couple weeks ago I nearly got hit crossing a road in Cambridge while visiting because out of habit I looked left first :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Oh .. and stripped road crossings, if you wait by one of those, drivers have to stop to let you cross.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_crossing#In_the_United_Kingdom

In theory, the same applies here in the US, but in many places people ignore crosswalks unless someone is actually in them - even then the pedestrian has to be careful.  There are some areas, in popular touristy locations and near schools, where they are very firmly enforced though.

6 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Thank you! That explains a lot!  But I can’t figure out what side of the sidewalk to walk on.

Nobody really cares about that, hence the awkward "dance" when you meet someone coming towards you and neither of you can figure out whether to step right or left. Just say "Sorry!" a lot, you'll be fine.

However, on escalators the rule is strictly "stand on the right, walk up/down on the left". Breach of this law will have you thrown into the Tower of London and beheaded on the next following Bank Holiday muttered at most harshly.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Just do what you'd normally do at home.  They are the ones that do it all wrong.   :D

/me runs and hides from the UK folks

Side note: Did something happen to the picture that is typically part of your signature?  This is what I've been seeing the last few days - I see pics in other signatures fine:
image.png.49916b1b89d6b62d51f8a6040c4d2917.png

ETA: Oh, and as to the email problems part of this discussion, as you mentioned, I'd definitely try some other apps.  I've never done a lot of IM responding while on vacation, but I know I was able to do so from Mexico once.

I don’t know, I see it as I normally do, but all hell seems to have broken loose when I left the country. What a pain to have to log in on a laptop to reply to every email and (cursed) notecard. 

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

This reminds me of the instruction that a good friend of mine gave to her assistant as she left for a week of down time: "If anything comes up, deal with it as if I were dead.  See you in a week."

You mean like, "Go away! I'm in mourning!" ?

*innocent expression*

If there are any tech savvy persons here: 

Any idea why I can open Firestorm on my husbands laptop account login on his laptop but when I use my laptop account login on the same laptop and try to open Firestorm, it hangs? 

I assume both problems are due to connection changes. Although Firestorm could be just fussy and you might need to delete cache and/or user profiles (back any profile up before). Sometimes refreshing DNS on computer works, while on phone it is entering and exiting flight mode. The ability to send emails to IM in SL should not be affected at all as it is connected to your email BUT it could somehow have gotten issues sending. Try different connection? If there is no other ones - consider buying a prepaid pendrive which is a portable modem. EE should have them (it is a mobile network and they have shops everywhere).

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.