Choosing a name

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 5/5/2019 at 3:30 AM, RaeLeeH said:

^ So much this! 

Whether it's my old lady eyes or ADHD brain I cannot comprehend half of what those fancy weird dyslexic-looking letters in display names even say, so while people think they're being cool and unique really they're just making themselves appear nameless to folks like me who have no other option than to call them by their username, whether they go mental at me for it or not.

I came about after the surnames had been done away with so was lumped with the generic Resident. As for how my username came to be; Raeleeh is a shortened abbreviation of my real life names. Makes it easier to remember (since most days I know who I am, though ADHD brain, remember?) but is also not exactly my name so if I get stalked, harassed, trolled, griefed, made to jump through fiery hoops, sent random death threats (with those fancy weird dyslexic-looking letters), or anything else horrific then it's not likely to bleed out of SL and into my RL. 

When I did role play (which feels like lifetimes ago now) I frequently changed my display name to suit my character at-that-time, but Rae's usually the predominant one I go by.

As for the project to change our surnames; Ideally I wish we could choose our own (especially for the proposed fee planned with it), but also understand that it won't happen as there's always someone out there looking to ruin it for the rest of us. Beyond that, I'd probably choose something I thought was funny at the time and get AR'd for offending someone accidentally, such is my low-brow sense of humour. 

I tend to look at those accounts with surnames as "old timers"; not as old people per se, but the generation that came before. Those who lived through pre-mesh and bling and flexi and painted on pink polka dot dresses, and still managed to stick it out to this day. It's like a badge of honour I suppose. Maybe I'm just too nostalgic about it. Some of my best friends are "old timers", and they're the ones I go to when I have a SL related issue or forget how to do something after another 3 months sabbatical. 

I agree with this entire post especially the part about the generation before us with the last names I literally call them the originals lol so guess I'm nostalgic with you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FashionEye said:

I agree with this entire post especially the part about the generation before us with the last names I literally call them the originals lol so guess I'm nostalgic with you.

The funny thing is having the first and last name for so long and having to live with the choice one made before knowing *at all* what you're doing tends to give one ana amazing hindsight. You know how mom and dad always harped on making good decisions because you'll have to live with your choices the rest of your life? LOL

I'm actually tired on this name. I've been planning to change it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Oh sure, when I've just about learned to spell your name without looking it up, you're gonna change it.

...sets you on fire.

Hahaha Okay, then I will remain mixed Russian and Chinese in my name LOL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.