Choosing a name

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there! I joined SL on April 22nd and I still haven't chosen a name (I'm currently going by my username). I know some people go by their real life first name with a made up last name (I'm thinking of doing this option), or even by completely made up names. I've seen a lot of unique names while inworld and I was wondering: how did you guys choose your SL names? 

There is nothing wrong with just going by your username.  However, if you want to use a display name, I would strongly suggest to not use your real life name - I would go with a completely made up name.  

Even when you use a display name, your username may still be visible.  I use settings in my preferences that show both display name and username for others, because sometimes I can't read a display name that uses fancy fonts, and because display names can be changed but usernames stay the same*. 

Using fancy fonts in a display name is something that is NOT suggested, for readability issues for others and because some fonts cause the display name to be cleared. 

*As Selene mentioned, there is a project in the works which will allow people to change their current username to a firstname lastname format, with the last name chosen from a list.  Details of how much this will cost and any other requirements have not been announced yet.

Edited by moirakathleen
fixed a typo
  • Like 6

When I signed up, I was given a list of last names that I could choose from. 

Much to my delight, one of the last names that I could choose from was Gothly.

Not long before, I had watched a documentary on the Thervingian Gothic leader Fritigern and chose to go with that name, even though the historical figure was male. 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Jules Catlyn said:

I have experienced many cases where people go absolutely mental when you call them by their username instead of their display name.

And those are the ones that usually have a display name full of fancy fonts and symbols that make my eyeballs hurt trying to decipher. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jules Catlyn said:

I have experienced many cases where people go absolutely mental when you call them by their username instead of their display name.

They'll just have to go mental then. If I can't read it, I can't use it. Display names were meant for "special" names like when two people get SL married and they want the same last name, or they roleplay a character that isn't human, etc. I can always block them if they become abusive, after ARing them, of course.

• Like 3

When I joined in 2006 I was given a list of last names to choose from and so I only had to pick a first name. LL changed the list of last names every so often so when you'd start seeing newer last names you sort of had some idea when they were "born". The worst thing LL did was to let people choose their last names or keep "Resident" in my opinion. I also dislike display names. Some people have a multitude of names they go by and it gets confusing. I call everyone by the name they originally chose because I have display names turned off. 😀 

15 minutes ago, Linda Reddevil said:

The worst thing LL did was to let people choose their last names or keep "Resident" in my opinion

We've never been able to choose last names other than whatever was presented via the lists that you remember.  That is the same and only option that will be available when they bring last names back.  When last names come back though, it won't be for everyone, like it used to be.  Only if you are a Premium member AND choose to pay an additional fee to pick a last name.  So there will still be tons of new people that get the default last name of 'Resident'.

Molly, a Display Name is completely optional.  You don't have to choose one at all, especially if you are happy with your username, which most people would simply shorten to Molly Kat or Molly.

As others have said, don't use your Real Life name, and please don't use weird characters or fonts...keep it pronounceable and easily typed!

14 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

There is nothing wrong with just going by your username.  However, if you want to use a display name, I would strongly suggest to not use your real life name - I would go with a completely made up name.  

Even when you use a display name, your username may still be visible.  I use settings in my preferences that show both display name and username for others, because sometimes I can't read a display name that uses fancy fonts, and because display names can be changed but usernames stay the same*. 

Using fancy fonts in a display name is something that is NOT suggested, for readability issues for others and because some fonts cause the display name to be cleared. 

*As Selene mentioned, there is a project in the works which will allow people to change their current username to a firstname lastname format, with the last name chosen from a list.  Details of how much this will cost and any other requirements have not been announced yet.

^ So much this! 

Whether it's my old lady eyes or ADHD brain I cannot comprehend half of what those fancy weird dyslexic-looking letters in display names even say, so while people think they're being cool and unique really they're just making themselves appear nameless to folks like me who have no other option than to call them by their username, whether they go mental at me for it or not.

I came about after the surnames had been done away with so was lumped with the generic Resident. As for how my username came to be; Raeleeh is a shortened abbreviation of my real life names. Makes it easier to remember (since most days I know who I am, though ADHD brain, remember?) but is also not exactly my name so if I get stalked, harassed, trolled, griefed, made to jump through fiery hoops, sent random death threats (with those fancy weird dyslexic-looking letters), or anything else horrific then it's not likely to bleed out of SL and into my RL. 

When I did role play (which feels like lifetimes ago now) I frequently changed my display name to suit my character at-that-time, but Rae's usually the predominant one I go by.

As for the project to change our surnames; Ideally I wish we could choose our own (especially for the proposed fee planned with it), but also understand that it won't happen as there's always someone out there looking to ruin it for the rest of us. Beyond that, I'd probably choose something I thought was funny at the time and get AR'd for offending someone accidentally, such is my low-brow sense of humour. 

I tend to look at those accounts with surnames as "old timers"; not as old people per se, but the generation that came before. Those who lived through pre-mesh and bling and flexi and painted on pink polka dot dresses, and still managed to stick it out to this day. It's like a badge of honour I suppose. Maybe I'm just too nostalgic about it. Some of my best friends are "old timers", and they're the ones I go to when I have a SL related issue or forget how to do something after another 3 months sabbatical. 

Edited by RaeLeeH
Highlighting pertinent point for effect. And ADHD brain.
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, xomollykatxo said:

Hi there! I joined SL on April 22nd and I still haven't chosen a name (I'm currently going by my username). I know some people go by their real life first name with a made up last name (I'm thinking of doing this option), or even by completely made up names. I've seen a lot of unique names while inworld and I was wondering: how did you guys choose your SL names? 

It is not compulsory to have a display name, but they are changeable after a week, so your name can change every seven days if you feel like it. I personally do not have display names showing, it is hard enough keeping up with everyone, without something being someone else the next day. They often do that for holidays on plurk and it is a mind mess knowing who is talking, at least in SL you get to see both. The real names as display names was what SL imagined was a need, for RL companies to come in for meetings and the like, and be able to identify correctly. 

Even if you never use display names most will just call you Molly or MollyKat and if you are fine with that, then leave it as is :)

3 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

I tend to look at those accounts with surnames as "old timers"; not as old people per se, but the generation that came before. Those who lived through pre-mesh and bling and flexi and painted on pink polka dot dresses, and still managed to stick it out to this day. It's like a badge of honour I suppose. Maybe I'm just too nostalgic about it. Some of my best friends are "old timers", and they're the ones I go to when I have a SL related issue or forget how to do something after another 3 months sabbatical. 

*taps you with her walker*  it is ok youngun,  we feel the same about you. For reference, the pink polka dot dresses were new to us oldbies, those came around in the big library overhaul of I think 2008ish and there is a group dedicated to them that only wear them and ask Sachi Vixen the creator to do a mesh version all the time....it is the library item with its own cult following.

Technically I turned 13 the other day, so I am now an SL Teenager, I need to start climbing out windows before I TP.

Edited by Sasy Scarborough
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

If I can not read the display name within a fraction of a second I will fall back to the legacy name and will use that or extract  a part of it. If I do not want to use that too then you are "nobody". If you complain I will mute and forget you.

So choose what you want but face the consequences. 😁
(I don't take that serious but I will do what I described - hehe)

If we have a japanese/korean/chinese/whatever display name - I'll need to do some meditation about this. 😎 On the other hand - most probably I will see only boxes instead since I didn't install that languages. Should I use "Mr. or Mrs. boxes" instead of "nobody" then? decisions decisions

Edited by Nova Convair

Had to pick a last name from the list presented by LL, I liked Vandyke because it originates from Dutch (and I am Dutch) and with a wink to the "d y k e" part.

For surname I had absolutely no idea or inspiration what name to use, but had just watched a movie starring a very sexy Catherine Zeta Jones, and I picked Zeta from her name (since Catherine was a bit to fancy for me)

Edited by Zeta Vandyke
filter workaround
  • Like 1

I've told people about my name too many times, so I won't repeat about the Rolig part of it.  The Loon part, though, is partly regional and partly laziness.  My part of the world is lousy with loons.  We wake up the sound of their calls daily and we see them gracing the ponds and rivers.  In a very Zen-like way, I am one with the loon.  (Take that any way that you like.  I have heard them all.) On the practical side, the name Loon is incredibly easy to spell and mercifully short to type.  Being both lazy and mildly dyslexic --at least in my typing -- I view shortness as a major virtue.  When I remember, I thank the all-wise masters of Linden for having made the name Loon available when I was starting out 12 years ago.

2 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Had to pick a last name from the list presented by LL, I liked Vandyke because it originates from Dutch (and I am Dutch) and with a wink to the "d y k e" part.

Every time I see that last name, I think of the old sitcom in the US called "The Dick Van *****" show.  I loved watching the old reruns when I was young.

• Like 2

When I chose my last name from the list given, I liked it because it was basically "moon" and "sea".

I didn't even put 2*2 together to realize it was also "lunacy" until quite some time later on. Had I done that math I probably would have gone with another one 😋

It has made for some interesting pick up lines through the years, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.