Best location to build a home that looks castle-y?

Rhiannon108

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you own/rent a mainland parcel then you can plop your castle there no matter the neighbourhood and given the castle fits within your parcel dimension.

If you own/rent a parcel on a private sim, you will need to read the covenant in the about land window. A lot of private sim owners have rules that limit the height of a build to say, 20m but not all do this and there is plenty of private estates where anything goes is the norm, too.

I believe that only mainland can be auctioned.  It may or may not always be the best way to buy, but it certainly is one way to find and look at some of the parcels that are for sale on mainland.  Once you get to a location on mainland, open up the map in the viewer and click the boxes for showing land for sale and for auctions.  Parcels for sale on the map will show up yellow, and you can select them on the map and then teleport to them for a closer look. (I think parcels for auction show up as purple on the map).  Finding parcels by using the map has been my usual way for finding land for sale. 

If you're new and haven't owned land yet, it might be worthwhile to attend the free class at Caledon Oxbridge University inworld "How to Buy and Rent Land in SL".  The instructor will cover all the ins and outs, as well as show you things to check to make sure that you're not getting taken advantage of.   The class is on Saturdays at 12 noon SLT.

4 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

If you own/rent a mainland parcel then you can plop your castle there no matter the neighbourhood and given the castle fits within your parcel dimension.

As Syn said, you can pretty much do whatever you like with a mainland parcel but that doesn't mean you should. Try to find a parcel where your castle would fit in with the surroundings. Not only is that the decent thing to do, it will also make it easier for you to build and save you a lot of unnecessary conflicts and headache in the future.

4 hours ago, Rhiannon108 said:

Thanks for the reply. I assume that the best way to buy a parcel on the mainland is to go to the auctions, right?

No, not really. There are thousands of available parcels on mainland and only a few dozen are listed in auctions. Many of the others are lsited in in-world search but not nearly all.

Two better ways to find the right mainland parcel are to use the big map or look for abandoned land.

Select World Map in the World menu (shortcut Ctrl+M) and check the Land Sale checkbox:

1959004160_Skjermbilde(2153).png.71dc5114df9b0c967f1df1c8550445dc.png

All parcels that are for sale will show up in yellow and you will be amazed how many there are. Check out some of them until you find one with the right size, shape, price and location for you. Don't go for the first one you drop on  to - you're spoilt for choices.

Much - maybe most - of the mainlad regions are abandoned land. If you find an abandoned parcel you like, open a support case and ask LL to sell it to you. Most likely they will do that at 1 L$/m2 but they may decide to offer it on auction instead. If they do and you don't win the bid, try again.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the advice! Yes. My original question was based on wanting to put a structure somewhere where it makes sense to me and others. Now looking for areas where people put structures like castles and similar homes. If anyone has suggestions, feel free to share. I like forests and places with a sense of magic. I'm not super dark but fit well with non-humans.

I would like to find a small piece of land in Elvion. I tried doing the map thing described above. But, the map only showed some of the square plots (I'm on a Mac...so, maybe my interface isn't working great?). Any suggestions of how to find land in that region?

1 hour ago, Rhiannon108 said:

I would like to find a small piece of land in Elvion. I tried doing the map thing described above. But, the map only showed some of the square plots (I'm on a Mac...so, maybe my interface isn't working great?). Any suggestions of how to find land in that region?

It looks as though that's a parcel on a quarter of a standalone sim. I'd say it's very unlikely that the people that rent it are looking for sub tenants, but you can always ask.

If you're wanting to put your castle in an environment of similar builds, you would probably do well to look at renting in one of the themed estates. Be aware though, the covenants are usually very detailed to ensure tenants maintain the theme so be sure to check that. If you would sooner 'own' the land (ie, be paying LL through having the 1024sqm allowance in having a premium account) then the mainland is the only place you will be able to place a castle. You'll be quite hard pushed to find a themed area, but you may find others with similar builds to what you're wanting to place and be able to buy a parcel on that sim.

Another point worth remembering, a 1024sqm parcel will give you 351 prims... as an owner of several castles over the years, you're going to be pretty hard pushed to make that stretch to holding a castle (the size may well be too restricting too) and its furniture. But there are always possibilities :)

The 'websearch' tab on the Firestorm viewer has a sub section for 'land and rentals'. You can do a search in that with a word in the main search box like 'castle' or 'Forest', and then have parcel sizes and sales or rentals selected in the sub section. That may open things up for you in your search a little.

Good luck, and I hope you get to realise your dream :)

1 hour ago, Walpurgisnacht said:

The 'websearch' tab on the Firestorm viewer has a sub section for 'land and rentals'. You can do a search in that with a word in the main search box like 'castle' or 'Forest', and then have parcel sizes and sales or rentals selected in the sub section. That may open things up for you in your search a little.

It's worth trying but most parcels for sale are not listed in search for obvious reasons. 30 Lindens a week isn't much but if it's a small parcel and slow to sell, you may well end up paying more for advertising than you can manage to sell the parcel for. Many sellers probably aren't even aware that they have to pay to get the parcel listed in search, they just assume it's automatically listed there when they put itup for sale.

14 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

It's worth trying but most parcels for sale are not listed in search for obvious reasons. 30 Lindens a week isn't much but if it's a small parcel and slow to sell, you may well end up paying more for advertising than you can manage to sell the parcel for. Many sellers probably aren't even aware that they have to pay to get the parcel listed in search, they just assume it's automatically listed there when they put itup for sale.

Hi Rey! :D

I agree with you, but in this instance the OP was looking for a specific theme or setting and so I was suggesting this as a way to try and find it, not as a guide to buying  land generally in SL.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 12:12 PM, Walpurgisnacht said:

After many years of using Firestorm I didn't know that - I always use the land sales tab, set the size parameters and the look on the map to see where the plot is.  That way you get all the land marked for sale. Of course, it takes a bit longer to narrow down the land you are looking for.

13 hours ago, Fortyniner Beck said:

After many years of using Firestorm I didn't know that - I always use the land sales tab, set the size parameters and the look on the map to see where the plot is.  That way you get all the land marked for sale. Of course, it takes a bit longer to narrow down the land you are looking for.

Just to set the record straight, "websearch" is not a Firestorm feature, it's LL's standard inworld search fucntion.

On 5/4/2019 at 1:52 AM, Rhiannon108 said:

I'm new. Not sure if one can plop a home that looks like a castle anywhere. Looks like some places have fairly conventional looking homes. Any suggestions of where to try to buy a small plot of land (1024)?

Welcome to SL :)

I don't think anyone would mind (or even notice) if you rezzed another castle here :

turkish-chateau-burj-al-babas-turkey_dezeen_1704_col_1.thumb.jpg.374127b3d942df4b277ecb93937b3358.jpg

https://www.dezeen.com/2019/01/18/drone-abandoned-turkish-chateau-burj-al-babas/

Sorry Rhiannon i couldn't resist :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.