You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Looking for a bit of advice.

My partner has been renting a plot of land for over 3 years. Has always paid rent on time, never in arrears and kept within prim limit. 

It's a small island plot within a sailing sim.In the covenant it says that the waterways are to be kept clear. 

To soften the edges and to create some realism, he added the Skye beaches and waves. It has been like this for 3 years. 

The sim owner has been to the sim on many occasions and has been to the plot numerous times and so is aware of how it looked. Has had no issue as the prim is technically on the land and using the prim allowance from his island. There is a slight over hang of the boundaries but no where near blocking any waterways.

Like I said, the sim owner has seen the set up on many many occasions and has never had an issue. 

Anyway, out of the blue stuff started to be returned. My partner is away on vacation, but things like grass started to get returned to myself. 

I questioned the sim owner and she said it is being returned as hanging into the waterways. The was no reasoning with her as I am not the 'plot renter' despite she knows I pay rent too. 

I find the whole thing a little unfair seeing as has been like this for 3 years, and shes been aware of it all that time and even complimented how it looks.

About 1/2 the plots use these kind of additional beaches and waves and nothing has been enforced on them.

Is there anything we can do seeing as this isn't a new addition to the plot and that she's been fine with it up until now or would I be fighting a lost cause? 

Thanks for any advice given :) 

Edited by Kimmy Sweetwater

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

In a nut shell. Her land, her rules, even if she makes them up as she goes along. She can ban you for any reason or no reason at all. LL will not get involved in resident disputes.

Yeah, I was worried this might be the case.  :(

Just so upsetting and frustrating as has been our home for so long and has never been an issue. Then out of nowhere....lost and found folder starts being bombarded with no word :(

3 hours ago, Kimmy Swee*****er said:

Yeah, I was worried this might be the case.  :(

Just so upsetting and frustrating as has been our home for so long and has never been an issue. Then out of nowhere....lost and found folder starts being bombarded with no word :(

It's why I rented a private homestead with full estate rights for so long and would again if I could. I'd even go back to where I was although the land company has been taken over by someone else. 

I obviously have no idea why she is doing what she is doing, but if I were to guess. I would say someone else has complained to her about stuff in the waterways. It could in fact be there for years an no one cares because it isn't creating an issue, then along comes someone new who has an issue, and they contact the land owner. At this point the land owner takes action, because as we all know, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, it is a bit like telling a cop that you have been driving over the speed limit for years and never got a ticket. Well be happy you got lucky for so long, but your luck has run out.

Edited by Talligurl
  • Like 4

@Kimmy Swee*****er I do have some sympathy for you. Yes the landlord has a covenant, yes it is their region, yes its their rules, yes its their lawn.  Which they never enforced for 3 years.

and it appears the landlord never had any conversation with you before sending your stuff back. A simple IM to tell you that the covenant is now to be enforced, because other tenants also now, so please pick up your stuff would have been nice, after 3 years of you and your partner paying them rent

a thing about why your stuff needs to be returned. It may be that your stuff is non-phantom, preventing the other tenant's boat from actually using the water channel

3 hours ago, Mollymews said:

@Kimmy Swee*****er I do have some sympathy for you. Yes the landlord has a covenant, yes it is their region, yes its their rules, yes its their lawn.  Which they never enforced for 3 years.

and it appears the landlord never had any conversation with you before sending your stuff back. A simple IM to tell you that the covenant is now to be enforced, because other tenants also now, so please pick up your stuff would have been nice, after 3 years of you and your partner paying them rent

a thing about why your stuff needs to be returned. It may be that your stuff is non-phantom, preventing the other tenant's boat from actually using the water channel

Just a simple IM or something and a bit of time to amend would of been so appreciated!

About half of the other plots use the same design as us, with some of them having the beach/waves right out on the waterways. Their plots remain untouched :(

I am sure ours was set to phantom. Even if not, it could of been amended in less than 5 mins as I was online at the time she cleared our plot. 

Just incredibly frustrating and annoying we were the only ones targeted. 

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

You were not "targeted" - someone lodged a complaint about your parcel, the owner acted on it.

Simple.

Being "targeted" requires something more than a complaint.

I completely understand she has to been seen as acting towards a complaint. Just a little heads up or a quick IM saying a complaint had been made can you sort it. 

If I ever had an issue with someone else's plot (which I doubt I ever would do as never like to invade someone else's land) I would just say something direct to them. Guess not everyone works the same way *shrugs*

I like and use those waves and beaches. The waves aren't the most sophisticated, but they're not bad.

As I recall, however, they have an option to enable some sounds that neighbors might find annoying after a while. Maybe. (This is just casting about for some reason/excuse for your waves getting returned when others don't.)

Also, can you be 100% sure that the landlord didn't try to contact your partner while on vacation? Or perhaps the IM got lost or accidentally ignored.

It seems as if there must be some explanation for what's otherwise pretty irrational behavior by this landlord.

As has already been mentioned, 'their sim, their rules', there really is very little you can do. It is especially frustrating when you feel that you're being singled out for a violation that seems to be being committed by others all around. It must be even more frustrating that you're unable to get any communication, but as a sub tenant, this isn't unusual, especially if the landlord is feeling maybe a little guilty over doing what they've done.

Maybe you can find out the answer to all this once your partner returns, and hopefully it can be resolved amicably. If I were in your position though, I'd be looking for a new place to rent so you can move straight away if your partner agrees that that's the option to take if there's no resolution.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I like and use those waves and beaches. The waves aren't the most sophisticated, but they're not bad.

As I recall, however, they have an option to enable some sounds that neighbors might find annoying after a while. Maybe. (This is just casting about for some reason/excuse for your waves getting returned when others don't.)

Also, can you be 100% sure that the landlord didn't try to contact your partner while on vacation? Or perhaps the IM got lost or accidentally ignored.

It seems as if there must be some explanation for what's otherwise pretty irrational behavior by this landlord.

They were added just to provide some realism and approve the appearance of the plot. 

The sounds were off as sometimes I find them annoying, especially when I am trying to concentrate on creating something. We also ensure any sounds are limited to the parcel as don't want to be 'those' neighbors.

He had only been offline 24 hours at the time, nothing sent through to emails.....no IMs before he went away. When I notified him on skype yesterday he was just as shocked as I was. 

I am hoping a NC has been sent to my partner with an explanation but we won't know until he returns.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.