can you be raped in second life?

Quebrado

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2300 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am very new to the community. I was very excited to have found such a place online. I invited my daughters to check it out. Two of the Three took to it right away. Now one of them has come to me saying someone teleported them against their will to a location they could not leave, and sexually assaulted them. She really loves the community. She doesn't want to talk about it. Please Help with some info. Thanks...

Quebrado

Look at the date on this thread. The last post was over 6 years ago -- not just old but ancient. You're looking at comments made under different conditions than today, some of them made by people who are no longer in SL (like the OP). Be very cautious about accepting any report of "rape" in SL at face value, especially one that is this old. Among the legitimate posts by people who have truly experienced some form of sexual violence in SL, you will find a fair number of unsubstantiated accounts, often posted by trolls who have nothing better to do than create drama in public forums. It's virtually impossible to tell fact from fiction.  It's unprofessional and potentially misleading or harmful to take anecdotal accounts like these without a large grain of salt.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Look at the date on this thread. The last post was over 6 years ago -- not just old but ancient. You're looking at comments made under different conditions than today, some of them made by people who are no longer in SL (like the OP). Be very cautious about accepting any report of "rape" in SL at face value, especially one that is this old. Among the legitimate posts by people who have truly experienced some form of sexual violence in SL, you will find a fair number of unsubstantiated accounts, often posted by trolls who have nothing better to do than create drama in public forums. It's virtually impossible to tell fact from fiction.  It's unprofessional and potentially misleading or harmful to take anecdotal accounts like these without a large grain of salt.

Just because something happened years ago doesn't mean it doesn't matter anymore. 

Your are right about the fact that people may no longer be active on SL, but when we're doing academic research we try everything even if the chance of getting a feedback is 0,01%. 

We are all are aware that internet is a platform where people can lie about their lives (just as irl) and of course we are precocious about everything we are told. 

Doing research, we may be told 1000 stories and only rely on 2 of them, because the rest is not valuable. There is nothing unprofessional about searching for witness and you don't know my methodology, so please don't judge something that you're not part of. 

1 hour ago, BatGirlMeow said:

Literature says there is, police reports say there is. 

there are miles of literature that says the earth is flat ...

there are thousends of policereports about ufo's ....

btw if you really do research, publish your educational institute contact information, your own contactinformation, and verifiable name, and what you really try to find out. Everybody can claim what you post now.

We had our share in SL about "investigations" "questionaires" "surveys" and  questioning by fakers and pretend to be persons.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, BatGirlMeow said:

I am here to collect data. If the topic doesn't concern you, I don't really see why you are debating about it. 

Let's not waste each others' time :) Have a good day! 

i dont see how you waste my time.

you don't feel comfortable with sharing details, but you want to get the traumatized and very personal information from others?? ...

Have a good day too...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i dont see how you waste my time.

you don't feel comfortable with sharing details, but you want to get the traumatized and very personal information from others?? ...

Have a good day too...

When talking to a person in private, of course I will share my name, the institution etc. There are papers that those to give their testimony will have to sign in order to accept the terms and conditions. Everything is officially contextualized by the University. I will not collect data until the person doesn't sign the documents. 

I'm sorry if that detail was not obvious, I was not clear enough.

By wasting your time, I was referring to having a debate on whether or not there is rape and violence that has a real impact on people's emotions. We seem to not agree on the subject, which is fine. But there is no need to go further. :)  

6 hours ago, BatGirlMeow said:

Literature says there is

We are all very much aware of the fact that "literature' can claim all sorts of things.

police reports say there is. 

I have searched and searched, but can find absolutely nothing that supports this claim. Do you have any specific links?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

We are all very much aware of the fact that "literature' can claim all sorts of things.

I have searched and searched, but can find absolutely nothing that supports this claim. Do you have any specific links?

I am French so if you speak french, sure. There is an article about an incident in Belgium. https://www.cairn.info/revue-cahiers-de-psychologie-clinique-2010-2-page-57.htm#no5 

I'm not sure that you can read it without paying, since it is a university issues site. 

11 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It also appeared in the journal « De Standaard », Belga press agency. 

10 minutes ago, BatGirlMeow said:

I am French so if you speak french, sure. There is an article about an incident in Belgium. https://www.cairn.info/revue-cahiers-de-psychologie-clinique-2010-2-page-57.htm#no5 

I'm not sure that you can read it without paying, since it is a university issues site. 

Back in 2007 the Brussels police investigated a single allegation to see if a crime had been committed.  There is nothing anywhere that states they ever actually found evidence of a crime. 

A single report of an investigation into something that someone claimed happened does not make said event a reality.

I have no doubt that some people can be traumatized by things that happen in SL, but that usually means that they are having difficulty separating reality from fantasy.  There is a big X in the upper right corner for a reason.

• Like 4

We are all are aware that internet is a platform where people can lie about their lives (just as irl) and of course we are precocious about everything we are told. 

Doing research, we may be told 1000 stories and only rely on 2 of them, because the rest is not valuable. There is nothing unprofessional about searching for witness and you don't know my methodology, so please don't judge something that you're not part of.

Thank you, BatGirl. I do not doubt your sincerity or your good intentions.  If your research protocol has survived the scrutiny of your university's Institutional Research Board and meets the standards of your profession, then your methodology has also taken into account many of the questions that others are raising here or are likely to raise.  I made my comment earlier simply because it is clear that you are a newcomer to Second Life and may not yet have enough experience to know what is possible, what safeguards exist, and what the cultural norms are here.  As you may gather from the reactions posted so far, the topic of sexual behavior (and misbehavior) in SL is a touchy one.  This community has seen an unfortunate number of mal-informed investigative reports by self-professed journalists or researchers and has grown skeptical of others who come asking the same questions. As an academic myself, I want to be sure that you keep your eyes and ears open and your mind clear. There's plenty of emotion, opinion, and misinformation to make your job difficult.

Literature says there is, police reports say there is. 

The definition of rape makes it impossible to happen in Second Life.

Anyone who claims otherwise is either too unfamiliar with Second Life, has not taken care on how "rape" is definied (and I think that is quite important, especially if you want to do scientific research that needs to be taken serious from anyone familiar with the subject) or wants to stirr up drama for a personal reason.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Right — can you imagine walking into a police station to file a report that you were robbed/attacked/murdered/raped in a video game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Back in 2007 the Brussels police investigated a single allegation to see if a crime had been committed.  There is nothing anywhere that states they ever actually found evidence of a crime. 

A single report of an investigation into something that someone claimed happened does not make said event a reality.

I have no doubt that some people can be traumatized by things that happen in SL, but that usually means that they are having difficulty separating reality from fantasy.  There is a big X in the upper right corner for a reason.

As I said, I am a psychology student. I literally study peoples' feelings. 

I do not investigate rape in general, I only want to learn about how people represent this kind of violence in their real lives. 

Of course this person that we talk about in article has a problem of dissociation of reality and fantasy, you are totally right. But we are not here to judge. 

I am not here to say it is true or false, I am only here to determine what pushed this person to go this far. 

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Thank you, BatGirl. I do not doubt your sincerity or your good intentions.  If your research protocol has survived the scrutiny of your university's Institutional Research Board and meets the standards of your profession, then your methodology has also taken into account many of the questions that others are raising here or are likely to raise.  I made my comment earlier simply because it is clear that you are a newcomer to Second Life and may not yet have enough experience to know what is possible, what safeguards exist, and what the cultural norms are here.  As you may gather from the reactions posted so far, the topic of sexual behavior (and misbehavior) in SL is a touchy one.  This community has seen an unfortunate number of mal-informed investigative reports by self-professed journalists or researchers and has grown skeptical of others who come asking the same questions. As an academic myself, I want to be sure that you keep your eyes and ears open and your mind clear. There's plenty of emotion, opinion, and misinformation to make your job difficult.

Thank you for the reply. 

I did come to the conclusion very quick that it is a tabu subject. I really don't want to offend anyone and I can understand that people are attached to SL. 

You are right, I am a newcomer and currently educating myself on the vocabulary, the rules and the general context of SL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:

The definition of rape makes it impossible to happen in Second Life.

Anyone who claims otherwise is either too unfamiliar with Second Life, has not taken care on how "rape" is definied (and I think that is quite important, especially if you want to do scientific research that needs to be taken serious from anyone familiar with the subject) or wants to stirr up drama for a personal reason.

I used the term rape because this is how they name it in the scientific article that is the origin of my research work. 

The thing is that we are not here to decide whether it was a real rape or not (which it clearly wasn't anyway), but to determine why the person considers it was a rape and what pushed her to go that far. I am simply doing research on people's emotions. 

I am aware that rape is a very delicate subject and this is why I am interested in this. Because there could be fake rape investigations on a person that did not commit it and this is important. I just want to understand the mechanisms. 

3 minutes ago, BatGirlMeow said:

Thank you for the reply. 

I did come to the conclusion very quick that it is a tabu subject. I really don't want to offend anyone and I can understand that people are attached to SL. 

You are right, I am a newcomer and currently educating myself on the vocabulary, the rules and the general context of SL. 

Good luck with your work.  By the way, if you are using the article that you referenced earlier as a starting point for your research, look carefully at its conclusion:

" Autrement dit, si les mondes virtuels ne garantissent pas le maintien à la fois du lien et de la séparation – au sens d’une différenciation – de ces deux réalités, l’investissement de ces mondes par des individus psychiquement fragilisés – par structure, traumatisme ou via la confrontation à un environnement trop défaillant – peut engendrer de réelles difficultés comme celles, par exemple, rencontrées par Adam."

Beware that Adam is not only psychologically fragile but also a teenager. Second Life is an adult world. Under the Second Life Terms of Service (Sect. 3.1), "By accepting this Agreement, you represent that you are at least eighteen (18) years of age (or the legal age of majority in your jurisdiction, if greater) and you have the legal authority to enter into this Agreement. If you are less than eighteen (18) years of age (or the legal age of majority in your jurisdiction, if greater), then your parent or legal guardian must read and accept this Agreement, your use of the Service, participating in the Service, and providing any personal information in connection with the Service on your behalf."  As a minor, Adam is restricted to visiting areas of Second Life that are rated for General access.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Good luck with your work.  By the way, if you are using the article that you referenced earlier as a starting point for your research, look carefully at its conclusion:

" Autrement dit, si les mondes virtuels ne garantissent pas le maintien à la fois du lien et de la séparation – au sens d’une différenciation – de ces deux réalités, l’investissement de ces mondes par des individus psychiquement fragilisés – par structure, traumatisme ou via la confrontation à un environnement trop défaillant – peut engendrer de réelles difficultés comme celles, par exemple, rencontrées par Adam."

Beware that Adam is not only psychologically fragile but also a teenager. Second Life is an adult world. Under the Second Life Terms of Service (Sect. 3.1), "By accepting this Agreement, you represent that you are at least eighteen (18) years of age (or the legal age of majority in your jurisdiction, if greater) and you have the legal authority to enter into this Agreement. If you are less than eighteen (18) years of age (or the legal age of majority in your jurisdiction, if greater), then your parent or legal guardian must read and accept this Agreement, your use of the Service, participating in the Service, and providing any personal information in connection with the Service on your behalf."  As a minor, Adam is restricted to visiting areas of Second Life that are rated for General access.

Thank you! :) 

You are right, Adam is a teenager, which makes it even more complicate because teenage years are a period of tourment. 

Haha yes, but I also remember being underage and lying about it to subscribe on different sites on the internet. I guess Adam is a regular teenager on this issue. 

23 minutes ago, BatGirlMeow said:

I guess Adam is a regular teenager on this issue. 

Well, regular teenager in the realm of lying about his age to do something he shouldn't, but not necessarily a regular teenage in not being able to separate his virtual world from the real one.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Well, regular teenager in the realm of lying about his age to do something he shouldn't, but not necessarily a regular teenage in not being able to separate his virtual world from the real one.

No, I didn't say that. I was saying that regular teenagers lie about things. 

Of course, average teenagers don't have problems in dissociating virtual reality and real life ! :) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2300 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.