Mainland property use policies

OrbitalDK

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I own an 8ksqm property in the snowy region that I share with a friend.  This property had no covenant, and was in the middle of a large area of un-owned land.

My friend likes to decorate and landscape her property according to the season.

My question is this: is it a violation of any agreement, silent or otherwise, to decorate your property that you pay tier fees for.  Even if it is in contradiction to the seasonal theme of the land area?

There is no covenant on mainland so anything goes as long as its within the TOS. Decorating out of theme is therefor also allowed.

However, why the HELL would you get snowland and then turn it into a desert or jungle? I personally hate seeing green parcels on ground level on the snow continent. Either stay in theme or buy a grassland parcel. Snowland is pretty rare compared to mainland that is either sandy, rocky or grassy so don't make the snow even rarer =/

Seriously, don't do it, or decorate in the sky or just move.....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, OrbitalDK said:

My question is this: is it a violation of any agreement, silent or otherwise, to decorate your property that you pay tier fees for.  Even if it is in contradiction to the seasonal theme of the land area?

Why do you want to do something like that in the Snowlands? That's not meant as criticism, it's a genuine question, I simply don't understand it.

If it's far from any neighbours and Linden Roads and public areas, you won't do anybody else any harm, so that's ok. And if you don't care abut the Winter Wonderland concept, well fair enough, many people don't - it's not my cup of tea either.

But even so, why make the work more difficult than necessary by picking the most unsuitable spot you can find? It's not as if mainland parcels are expensive to buy or hard to come by.

Edited by ChinRey

@OrbitalDK

it's ok that your friend landscapes the parcel to change with the seasons.  Putting a spring landscape on a snow textured terrain is no different from putting a winter snow landscape on a sandy beach  terrain which people do also as the seasons change

a little effect your friend could add is ice boulders and/or snows mounds on the edges of the parcel to blend it in with neighbours.  So that you get the in-the-middle-of-all this-winterland the sun is shining here, the daffodils are blooming, the trees are budding again, etc  

• Like 2

I’m a snowland owner. I don’t know of any policy this would violate. And I don’t know where in the snowlands this would be . . . but it sure does sound like it would violate the good neighbor rule about not building eyesores. 

At least in my sim and some of the surround sims, there are several of us who buy up land in scenic areas specifically to make sure it stays open for people to visit and that beauty in the area is preserved. Please don’t undo our efforts by building grassy summer scenes and such on the ground. It may not violate the TOS but it sounds like it just would not be nice. 😞

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 1:16 PM, OrbitalDK said:

I think it's great that you asked!  As you can see by earlier replies people won't be pleased if you try to make a break in the snow.  The most neighborly thing you can do is design within the theme of the location, in this case it's Snowlands, and design with consideration for what the neighbor's builds look like. 

I'll often buy a home from the same designer as one of my neighbors so that the build qualities are the same.  If I see a nice tree in the area I'll buy that asset as well so that the tree line matches, and so that people passing through don't have to load any more textures than necessary.  Same goes for driveways, fences, and things like that.

If you're sick of the snow but don't want to move, I cautiously recommend considering a skybox.  Just please make sure it's high up, like 2000m up.

Edited by Branduff Bisnovat
  • Like 5

This question was instigated by a recent communication with another user.  Up until this point the property at ground level has either been left natural, or had a winter themed house on it, butting right up against a big narrow hill that eats up the back third of the property. 

My group-mate had found some neat stuff and asked to do a hot springs/spring theme on the ground.  complete with melt water-falls and a small pool.

It had been there less then a week when we got a very (and i mean very) rudely worded note card stating that we were driving off users and ruining her rental properties.  She had 3 small lots maybe 1024 if that around our property.

Now up until this point we had not received any complaints or communications from other users in the area at all.  At this point i told my friend I would handle it and asked her to move back up to her sky-box.  I then put a nuclear winter themed post apocalyptic wasteland down at the ground level, for a few days. but hey at least it has snow right?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OrbitalDK said:

My group-mate had found some neat stuff and asked to do a hot springs/spring theme on the ground.  complete with melt water-falls and a small pool.

Looking at this from a sim design point of view, why not add the hot springs INTO the snowy lands? There ARE places like this in the corporeal world.  Take away most of the spring look (flowers, mesh grass etc) and find a "snowy early Spring" ground texture for that area of the build. Use STEAM instead of waterfalls and have snow around the hot springs but  not close to the steamy water (fitting in with the RL theme).  Seems like that approach could work for everyone AND be quite engaging.

Good luck. 

And yes I agree the season change  is certainly not against any TOS. We (unfortunately) have dark green dense grass in the middle of the beach sands with trees that would NEVER grow in that climate LOL.  We happily also have fences where I live so it isn't so jarring.   

• Like 2

On 5/1/2019 at 8:16 PM, OrbitalDK said:

This property had no covenant, and was in the middle of a large area of un-owned land.

11 hours ago, OrbitalDK said:

She had 3 small lots maybe 1024 if that around our property.

Is it just me, or is there a slight contradiction here?

11 hours ago, OrbitalDK said:

It had been there less then a week when we got a very (and i mean very) rudely worded note card stating that we were driving off users and ruining her rental properties.

So, you couldn't care less about your neighbour. That's fair enough in the sense that it's allowed on mainland. But if you want to play it rough and create conflicts, you better accept that others may respond in the same way. So stop whining. If you feel other people treat yuou bad, I suggest you reflect a bit on hwo you treat them.

Edited by ChinRey

When we originally bought the property back in like October of '18 there was no one there.  Sorry I'll try to be more clear next time.  The whole area had recently been abandoned and split and we got one of the largest plots right in the middle that we have since expanded to 8192.

About me not caring less about my neighbor:  I get in to SL to create and to explore, but i am more oriented toward my avie then I am toward building.  I put together my house and it has not changed much in months.  My group members are a little more creative then that, but only one of them really has the funds to drop on lindens to explore it.  She asked, so i let her.

I did this because I personally think it is neat to be able to see what other people create.  I like being able to get ideas and see the items that they are able to create and find in this world.

I made sure that all of my friends know how to block hostile communication if it becomes necessary, and that they know how to De-rez object or avies that they may find offensive.  I never expect anyone to restrict their creativity on land that has no covenant, and i will discourage anyone that holds that opinion from doing so.  If i happen upon something i don't like i take it upon myself to de-rez and then i go on my merry way.

Finally in reply to my "playing rough and creating conflicts" 

Point one:  No-one had contacted us until we got this mean note.  not even the people that had "already left because of us"  Sorry I'm not psychic, i cannot respond reasonably to silence.  Point two:  Was it necessary that i create a post apocalyptic wasteland on the ground, no.  But I'm kinda passive aggressive  that's my bad.  I also mentioned i took it down after a few days. 

And finally point 3:  In response to the stop whining thing.....what?  If you bring me a reasonable complaint, I will respond with reason.  If you go off on a diatribe filled with profanity, well you won't get a direct response, but you will get something.

This will be my final word on the subject.  I honestly got my answer in the very first sentence of the first reply.

I own a largish plot of snow land (30,000 m2) and, although I would respect your right to "seasonalise" it as you wish, I would feel a little miffed that someone has brought snow land (that there isn't a great deal of) and is changing it to summer for example.  If it was next to me I'd probably try to screen it off so that my visitors didn't see the clash in seasons.

As I say though, there's nothing to actually stop you doing it but ...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 2:16 PM, OrbitalDK said:

I own an 8ksqm property in the snowy region that I share with a friend.  This property had no covenant, and was in the middle of a large area of un-owned land.

You do you.  It is incumbent upon other residents to derender what they find objectionable, especially if you are surrounded by unowned land and there is no covenant.  If you had neighbours bordering on your property, you could have a conversation with them about it. But you wouldn't be obliged to because it's your property, not a rental whose landlord exerts control over things.  "Good neighbours" are more than decor-minded; they are those who JUDGE NOT each person's preferences (and believe me, there could be plenty to judge in all of us) and freedoms if they are doing absolutely nothing to damage other people.  In my opinion.  You do you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It irks me when people try to control what other people can do with their land.  If a rental company isn't renting enough, that's not land-owners' problems.  Mainland, no-covenant living is  chaotic and democratic in the messiest ways possible because if a person has purchased the parcel then the person can do whatever he or she wants with it.  It feels great to have that freedom and to change things as often or as little as you want.  There are regions dedicated to themed builds and more restricted freedoms if people want.  My vote is to decorate your parcel how you see fit because it is your parcel. You do, however, have maturity obligations based on the rating of the region (adult or general for example). 

• Like 3

"Democratic" -- what I meant was, the op poses a question asking for opinions and rules; it's a kind of democracy.  Polling the residents and being swayed (or not) by popular opinion.  Lots of residents do that of their own volition, and lots certainly don't.

I am very glad the regions are largely not democracies of their own but are still blissfully chaotic.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calinda Brune said:

My question is this:.is there a way i can get more prim for the land if i all ready have 8192 m2  mainland.......and also if i want to own more land and keep it at 1024 do i have to pay tier it to are not?

if you are premium you can hold up to 1024 sqm without additional costs (+10% if you donate it to a group)
If you own 8192 sqm ( or any other size) and you want more LI (prims) you simply have to buy more land. The Li is tied to the sqm you hold.

perhaps confusing, but two examples:
your additional tier level of 8192 gives you the possibility to own 8192 + 1024 (+10% group)
a additional tier level of 1024 gives you 1024+1024(+10% for group)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.