Deleting my account

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1815 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Maybe I am not on the right place. But I still ask my question. I want to delete my account.

I went to the site and click delete account but the next page is Account summary.  Is my account deleted ? is it in process and I shall wait.  I don't find any button or link I confirme deletion something like that

Is it possible to delete an account ? Or it is hard like deleting a facebook account ? I hope not.

I would understand if the account is not deleted immediatly. But at least I have no message that tells me. You are account is suspended and will be deleted definitively with all your inventory etc.. in xx days. But no message like that. Only

Your Account:

Account Summary

I want to delete my account definitively. I want to have a real life. If I keep it open I risk to use it again. I don't want that.

Edited by anara Ansar

23 minutes ago, anara Ansar said:

I would understand if the account is not deleted immediatly. But at least I have no message that tells me.

It does tell you though. On the account summary page it tells you something along the lines of "Account deletion in progress" or "Account deletion Pending." Not sure which of the two it is, its been a while since I deleted an account.

It is a process because:

Your account will remain open until your billing review date, as account maintenance fees are paid in advance. 

Found here: https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000135218-inactive-or-canceled-accounts

This is a free account.

Yes I see in the middle of the page

Your current status: Cancellation Pending

The cancellation request is received and now I am waiting. How long does that take I don't know. I will check in the next days.  Thank you for your help.

1 hour ago, anara Ansar said:

This is a free account.

The cancellation request is received and now I am waiting. How long does that take I don't know. I will check in the next days.  Thank you for your help.

You're going to be waiting a while then. LL does not cancel accounts immediately. They do give people plenty of time to change their minds. Something in the neighborhood of 60 - 90 days.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, anara Ansar said:

This is a free account.

If it's a free account then it will not delete until,t eh next billing date (the date you pay Land Use fees if you owned any land - and that is always the same date even if you do not own any land) - if you are or were a Premium Member it absolutely will not be deleted until the subscription for that membership is finished - on the renewal date of Premium Membership (even if you've already downgraded back to free account status) and that date is different from any standard billing renewal date.

9 hours ago, anara Ansar said:

If I keep it open I risk to use it again. I don't want that.

If you want to make sure you won't use it during the time it is  pending cancellation, you can change your password to some random bunch of letters (not looked at or written down), so that you will not be able to log in. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, moirakathleen said:

If you want to make sure you won't use it during the time it is  pending cancellation, you can change your password to some random bunch of letters (not looked at or written down), so that you will not be able to log in. 

Until they use the password reset. Email address should be changed as well but then again, a new account can always be made. 

Point being there really is no way to stop yourself from logging in except through shear willpower.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 5

Why bother deleting or canceling the account? 

Log out, uninstall the client and go on with your life - after making sure you won't get random e-mails of course. 

All you're doing is adding an extra step should you ever decide to return, nothing prevents you from making an account. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Why bother deleting or canceling the account? 

Log out, uninstall the client and go on with your life - after making sure you won't get random e-mails of course. 

All you're doing is adding an extra step should you ever decide to return, nothing prevents you from making an account. 

It's one thing to quit Crack by tossing your stash in the river, and a whole other to quit by putting it in a box in the garage just in case you want a hit someday in the future.

Even if the dealer is down the block... getting it out of the house really helps remove the temptation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

It's one thing to quit Crack by tossing your stash in the river, and a whole other to quit by putting it in a box in the garage just in case you want a hit someday in the future.

Even if the dealer is down the block... getting it out of the house really helps remove the temptation.

Tossing your stash in the river isn't quitting. It's just tossing your stash. Same as my brother saying he quit smoking. He didn't quit, he just stopped buying them and started bumming off everyone else.

The only way to quit is to make up your mind to stop and stick to it. Wishy washy won't cut it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

There's are three electric barriers at Chicago they hope will prevent the carp from getting into Lake Michigan. So far, so good, but it's probably just a matter of time.

Even then people won't stop flushing their unwanted goldfish.

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Even then people won't stop flushing their unwanted goldfish.

Those species haven't the destructive potential of the asian carp. And the great Lakes have already been messed up by the zebra mussel and now the quagga mussel. Port Washington sends divers down into the lake every year to clear mussels away from the municipal water inlet. One of them reported that the lake floor is covered in a two foot thick layer of shells from those pesky filter feeders. The lake water is crystal clear these days, unlike my childhood. That's great for photography, but terrible for the food chain.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

Yeah ... no. My brother is simply a cheapskate. He also tries to blackmail family members and then screams about his money when he is making damn sure other family members don't get all of their inheritance.

Those species haven't the destructive potential of the asian carp. And the great Lakes have already been messed up by the zebra mussel and now the quagga mussel. Port Washington sends divers down into the lake every year to clear mussels away from the municipal water inlet. One of them reported that the lake floor is covered in a two foot thick layer of shells. The lake water is crystal clear these days, unlike my childhood. That's great for photography, but terrible for the food chain.

It was the idea, not the actual species. People wonder why gators can be found living in sewers. Well, if parents would stop flushing the kid's pet, there wouldn't be any gators in the sewers.

16 hours ago, anara Ansar said:

Maybe I am not on the right place. But I still ask my question. I want to delete my account.

I went to the site and click delete account but the next page is Account summary.  Is my account deleted ? is it in process and I shall wait.  I don't find any button or link I confirme deletion something like that

Is it possible to delete an account ? Or it is hard like deleting a facebook account ? I hope not.

I would understand if the account is not deleted immediatly. But at least I have no message that tells me. You are account is suspended and will be deleted definitively with all your inventory etc.. in xx days. But no message like that. Only

Your Account:

Account Summary

I want to delete my account definitively. I want to have a real life. If I keep it open I risk to use it again. I don't want that.

The fastest way to prevent re-entry into SL is to open a text editor and type in 20--30 characters of gibberish. Then go to the "Change Password" page and paste the gibberish into the password and confirmation fields. Submit the new password and immediately quit the text editor without saving changes. Now you'll have no idea what your password is and the hassle of tying to recover your account should prevent you from even trying.

• Like 1

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

The fastest way to prevent re-entry into SL is to open a text editor and type in 20--30 characters of gibberish. Then go to the "Change Password" page and paste the gibberish into the password and confirmation fields. Submit the new password and immediately quit the text editor without saving changes. Now you'll have no idea what your password is and the hassle of tying to recover your account should prevent you from even trying.

This is close but a simple "forgot password" request will send an email with recovery instructions.

Take it a few steps further ....

• First, generate two 16 character passwords at  https://passwordsgenerator.net/ and copy/paste to notepad.
  • Use the first to create a new gmail account.  Use the second as that account's password.
  • Change your SL email to the new gmail account.
  • DO NOT change your account to basic -- leave as premium
  • Delete payment info
  • Change your SL password to the second generated password
  • Close notepad without saving
  • With your web browser active, press Ctrl Shift Del
  • Clear history, cache and forms for the past hour
  • Uninstall SL
  • Navigate to {your User directory}\AppData\Local\
  • Delete the SecondLife folder
  • Empty your Recycle Bin
  • Defrag your hard drive

This will kill an account beyond any recovery.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

This is close but a simple "forgot password" request will send an email with recovery instructions.

Oops, you're right, Rhonda! I forgot to say to change the account's e-mail address as well so password recovery won't work.

Your instructions seem to handle everything!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

2 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Take it a few steps further ....

• First, generate two 16 character passwords at  https://passwordsgenerator.net/ and copy/paste to notepad.
  • Use the first to create a new gmail account.  Use the second as that account's password.
  • Change your SL email to the new gmail account.
  • DO NOT change your account to basic -- leave as premium
  • Delete payment info
  • Change your SL password to the second generated password
  • Close notepad without saving
  • With your web browser active, press Ctrl Shift Del
  • Clear history, cache and forms for the past hour
  • Uninstall SL
  • Navigate to {your User directory}\AppData\Local\
  • Delete the SecondLife folder
  • Empty your Recycle Bin
  • Defrag your hard drive

This will kill an account beyond any recovery.

Well yeah, except if they are really determined to get the account back they can provide certain bits of information that is still on record. Keyword there being still. So they need to take it a couple of more steps and completely wipe from their memory both the user name they registered under and the email address they used to register the account. There's also other info but those are details only LL will know.

ETA: The rest depends on whether or not LL feels like messing with it and/or you pay the small reinstatement fee.

Thank you for your tips about forgetting password. And clearing my local date on my computer. This is good information to remember. On my computer this is mine. I am the owner. But that is not what I want. I am probably addicted but not as bad. as real drug. I am ok.

I just want my account been deleted for real. Even in the database on the server of LL.

I know that Linden Lab is an american company. But here we have a law "european data protection". I accept if the deletion time is 30 days just in case I change my mind or whatever. I can wait.  But that information should be clear and easy to find.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/policies/data-protection-reform/

I have the right to ask for deletion of my data (account). That information should be clear, understandable and easy to do. Sometimes deletion is so hard that people just let the account and don't use it. I think the database of LL should be full of non active accounts. But that is not my problem.

My deletion is pending so all is fine.

Capture du 2019-05-02 11-45-40.png

Edited by anara Ansar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1815 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.