Beyond Bellisseria - The new Linden Homes Continent and Waterways

Frodo Feila

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,
This post is specially meant to be about the Waterways around Belliesseria
I haven't yet expressed my opinion about or shared my suggestions for Bellisseria in any community topic but I will say in general.. Bellisserisa is AMAZING! it's been exciting (still is) and definitely a major step forward.. or lets say a high jump into the sky in terms of improvements, and SL is the only place in which we can fly without limits!

It's absolutely overwhelming to see this huge amount of attention, participation and love for the new continent, finally a beautifully-made community connects residents together not only through Bellisseria but also through all of the Mainland.

it's all about connecting...

and by this I don't mean the gnarly sim-crossings! which is one of the most challenging issues throughout virtual simulators, of course it depends on various factors but mildly still works to get you there and sometimes perfectly - based on a standard - most of the time when it doesn't go wrong. (lets keep it positive shall we? *wink*)

So, who doesn't like water and everything associated with it? you probably choose a beach or somewhere near the sea when going on vacation!
... now in the matter of discussing water in the virtual world; it's proven that waterfront is the most desired and valued location for land, either for the view or navigating abilities, a parcel of oceanfront land is most likely to be occupied at all times (evidently the quick sell-out of the new houseboats and the high demand on them in particular). Then why not have more of it? 

I suggest adding more water sims while LL has done a brilliant job in that matter.. wow, thank you, more please!

'Openspace' Mainland sims; they're efficient and do the job with minimum costs. Let's hope LL is going to add more and more of Coastal Waterways everywhere on the Mainland, This will revive more areas and best of all connect more and open new possibilities for boating and flying and all kinds of fun water activities.

Here is a cup of water for y'all.. Cheers!

P.S: oops! its water from a Linden Ocean.. is it salty or had LL managed to make it sweet? :)

Edited by Frodo Feila
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Frodo Feila said:

'Openspace' Mainland sims; they're efficient and do the job with minimum costs. Let's hope LL is going to add more and more of Coastal Waterways everywhere on the Mainland, This will revive more areas and best of all connect more and open new possibilities for boating and flying and all kinds of fun water activities.

In case you missed it there WERE many more water regions for awhile around Bellisseria  --- before it opened. There is a whole section of thread -- either in SSP or "Connecting the Continents" I would think  -- about layout of water around Bellisseria and it does appear that more water is planned. So I suggest you look at those thread or perhaps someone that commented on all that can point you to the correct posts. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

In case you missed it there WERE many more water regions for awhile around Bellisseria  --- before it opened. There is a whole section of thread (either in SSP or "Connecting the Continents" I would think  -- about layout of water around Bellisseria and it does appear that more water is planned. So I suggest you look at those thread or perhaps someone that commented on all that can point you to the correct posts. 

Aware of all of that and more. This post is unique and mainly expressing an opinion and suggestion to add MORE waterways in general regardless of whether they're connecting continents, along coasts or through sims.

Edited by Frodo Feila
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I really wish the viewer's interpolation didn't seem to randomize the moment you touch a region border sending you spinning off to oblivion.

That's fixed in Firestorm. Set Avatar->Preferences->Move and View->Movement->Movement at Region Crossing->Stop.

This will fix bogus movement at region crossings, at the cost of a brief stop which bothers sailors with large boats going slowly. I added that to Firestorm last year. It's essential for fast driving across regions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

I'm hoping to see a meaningful water connection to Sansara. As it is (or was the last time I checked) there was a connection to the southern tip of Sansara, but it wasn't very meaningful because it didn't connect to the other Sansara waterways. 

I'm dreaming of the day I can sail from the Marina de Lia in Sansara and down all the way to Jeogeot. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just had a very strange trip.

I have an F-16A aircraft in inventory. I rezzed it at the little airstrip west of Bellisseria, and flew it south and east to Jeoghot. No problems. Circled over the airport in western Jeoghot and headed back. On the north-south waterway between Jeoghot and Bellisseria, I took the plane up to top speed, which is about 150 knots or a region every 3 seconds.

Then something went wrong at a region crossing. The aircraft lost its connection to the keyboard controls. I couldn't steer or reduce power. I could still use the HUD functions, but none of them helped much.

I was straight and level at about 400 meters, and headed north. The aircraft brushed the edge of the world west of Bellisseria and stayed pointed north. All the way past Bellisseria and into Sansara. All the way north through Sansara, until finally it ran out of world at Help Island 2. When it hit the edge of the world, it went into a vertical climb, all the way to 4096m. Then, finally, it went off-world, and I was kicked out of the aircraft and falling. I fell all the way to Help Island 2.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, animats said:

I have an F-16A aircraft in inventory. I rezzed it at the little airstrip west of Bellisseria, and flew it south and east to Jeoghot. No problems. Circled over the airport in western Jeoghot and headed back. On the north-south waterway between Jeoghot and Bellisseria, I took the plane up to top speed, which is about 150 knots or a region every 3 seconds.

Then something went wrong at a region crossing. The aircraft lost its connection to the keyboard controls. I couldn't steer or reduce power. I could still use the HUD functions, but none of them helped much.

I was straight and level at about 400 meters, and headed north. The aircraft brushed the edge of the world west of Bellisseria and stayed pointed north. All the way past Bellisseria and into Sansara. All the way north through Sansara, until finally it ran out of world at Help Island 2. When it hit the edge of the world, it went into a vertical climb, all the way to 4096m. Then, finally, it went off-world, and I was kicked out of the aircraft and falling. I fell all the way to Help Island 2.

I hope you were wearing a parachute!

• Haha 5

On 5/1/2019 at 2:46 AM, animats said:

OMGoodness!  I think I saw this on an episode of Mayday on Discovery Channel! 

Hmmm nope, but a good emergency to present in Flight Simulator!  😉 

• Like 2

On 5/1/2019 at 2:12 AM, CoffeeDujour said:

How is this different from just disabling regular interpolation and enabling ping interpolation ?

A pause at the border is only slightly more acceptable than careening off randomly, still wouldn't call it a fix.

The new Linden Lab maintenance viewer has an adjustable limit for how long your movement is interpolated after a crossing - once you hit the limit your vehicle stops moving forward until the crossing completes (it will still pitch or roll continuously though.) It defaults to 1 second but the time can be adjusted with a debug setting. I found that setting it to two seconds works well for vehicles that cross quickly but tames the Mr. Toad's Wild Ride for vehicles that don't cross as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/1/2019 at 1:12 AM, CoffeeDujour said:

How is this different from just disabling regular interpolation and enabling ping interpolation ?

A pause at the border is only slightly more acceptable than careening off randomly, still wouldn't call it a fix.

How does one do that? Disabling and enabling

Edited by MarzipanJones

3ssSI56.png

Develop menu > Network .. Velocity is on by default

If you disable both you get no interpolation at all, your avatar movement is pretty much exactly what the region sends to everyone (and is a great way to demonstrate why no amount of messing about with settings will make someone better at combat games).

Right. If you turn off "velocity interpolate objects", everything will move in big jerks, moving only when the viewer gets an object update message. This is for debugging viewer problems, but not for normal use.

There's always a momentary freeze at a region crossing, because, during the period when the object's data is being copied from server to server, the object is not moving. The viewer tries to hide this by faking some reasonable motion during that delay. This doesn't work all that well.

I put the "Stop" on region crossing code in Firestorm, as I mentioned above. That made crossings for land vehicles driveable without wildly wrong positions. Wrong positions make drivers try to steer, and then they crash. Wasn't a perfect fix. Slow sailors like the continued movement during sim crossings, even though it means a rubber-band jerk back when the new sim takes control of the boat. On open water, you barely notice.

LL is trying something that's more tuneable, where you get to adjust from "full stop" to "2 seconds of interpolation", with 1 second being the default. It will be interesting to see how that works.

(I have some ideas on how to do this better and more automatically, but I'm not going to touch that area again unless and until LL gets the sim side of crossings fixed. Changing viewer behavior in that area while the sim side is also being changed would confuse everyone.)

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2019 at 8:46 AM, animats said:

Then something went wrong at a region crossing. The aircraft lost its connection to the keyboard controls. I couldn't steer or reduce power. I could still use the HUD functions, but none of them helped much....

I have had that a lot recently, both in slow ships and fast aircraft, both in Blakes and around Bellisseria.  The only way out I have found is to fly/sail in mouselook, which sometimes works, to landing/mooring, then stand and resit.  Which suggests it is some viewer-server connection issue?  You are the expert Animats.

Edited by anna2358

On 5/1/2019 at 2:46 AM, animats said:

I was wondering where that plane in the water over by my place came from.

• 3 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 12:46 AM, animats said:

That must have startled the new players lol

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.