EEP for blondes?!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Isn't there some sort of EEP course for blondes? LOL. Cuz I feel mightily confused. Some folks, on channel, the other day, kept referring me to a large wiki page about it, but I can't say that made things much clearer for me.

It starts with creating objects in inventory? Wait, wut?! I don't want to create environments objects: I just want visitors to see the exact windlights I set per parcel (and heights), hassle-free (I have a great many windlights defined, btw, for the FS viewer). If the idea is for me to hand out environment objects to visitors first, then I'm out. Period.

I was really hoping LL had implemented a way to do per-parcel windlights that didn't involve having to share objects. But I'm really working under the presumption that I simply misunderstand the entire process, as having to share objects first, honestly, sound pretty dumb.

Also, even if I manage to create a windlight object, is there a way I can convert my existing FS windlight settings (on the description of your parcel) to an object? Recreating those from scratch, by hand, seems like almost undoable. I mean, why does the Linden viewer not have an 'Create EEP object from current windlight in effect for this parcel' function?

Seriously, someone should be teaching a course on EEP -- a beginners course, preferably. :)

To set an environment for your parcel:

1. Create an environment setting.
  2. Apply it (to region or parcel).
  3. You're done!

To view the environment setting enabled for the current parcel:

1. Select World > Environment > Use Shared Environment
  2. You're done!

This is the process described by the wiki.

I don't think the old "windlight presets" can be used with EEP.

I also don't think that the method of sharing the old windlight presets is supported by the official LL viewer, or work at all if you have a custom windlight.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

To set an environment for your parcel:

1. Create an environment setting.
  2. Apply it (to region or parcel).
  3. You're done!

To view the environment setting enabled for the current parcel:

1. Select World > Environment > Use Shared Environment
  2. You're done!

This is the process described by the wiki.

Thanks for your help. :)

The documentation could definitely use some polishing. And/or the entire process, really. Cuz you can apparently also do any of these things from the Region Manager. And some of it is (confusingly) also tied in with Experiences, it seems.

My blondeness is slowly wearing off a bit, LOL, after reading up on it more, but I'm still stuck on per-parcel height. (Yes, I have several parcels defined on my region, al with like 3-4 different height Windlights) Way I understood is, that you can only set 4 global heights (per region). That kinda sucks. Someone on channel said he thought there was a way to set different height levels per parcel too, though, but I haven't found out yet (something about 'tracking' -- didn't quite get that part).

But yes, as Whirly said, you can apparently import 'legacy' windlights (which I presume will be all saved in a windlight directory, so including custom fs windlights). That's at least a good start.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.