Can someone PLEASE help me I downloaded Second Life but my computer won't run it.

AvaFaye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm having issue's running the game. I've searched all the forums and contacted customer support with no response and I don't know where else to go. When I click on the game is says detecting hardware, something about VFS, and then it says a problem caused the program to close. I've tried rebooting the computer, uninstalling and reinstalling the SL Viewer and nothing works.

24 answers to this question

okay I wen't to my computer information and this is what I found I hope this is what you meant.

Manufacturer: Acer

Processor AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core Processor BE-2350 2.10 GHz

Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB

System type: 32-bit Operating System

And i have Windows Vista Home Premium

If I can run the sims 2, the sims 3, and World of Warcraft on my computer sould I be able to run second life? I don't know much about computers but my uncle says it's an extremely good computer and it should be able to run anything.

when I looked at the system requirements page I saw

Graphics Card for XP**: •NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better

•OR ATI Radeon 8500, 9250 or better

•OR Intel 945 chipset

Graphics Card for Vista

or Windows 7 (32-bit only)

(requires latest drivers)**: •NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better

•OR ATI Radeon 9500 or better

•OR Intel 945 chipset

when I went to my computer this is what mine says:

Adapter type: ATI Radeon X1250

chip type: ATI Radeon X1200 Series (0x79 1E)

Total Graphics Memory: 895 MB

Dedicated Video Memory: 256 MB

I think your graphics card is better than what the system requirements demand, so that should be fine. Do you have the latest drivers for your graphics card installed? Though, if the error message mentions VFS, the graphic card (and its drivers) might be completely unrelated to the problem.

Can you give us the exact wording of the error message?

You're a little weak on the graphics but SL should run for you..........at mid-low to mid settings. Go to ATI/AMD's driver download site and get the most recent driver for you video card. That video adapter will work but it just won't work well. You didn't mention what your system memory is (RAM) which will be important since the 256 VRAM for your card is lacking for good proformance........your system will have to make up the difference. From experience Vista 32 requires at least 800 megs to run........SL is looking at a minimum of 500 megs. That's 1.3 gigs that any computer will need between the graphics dedicated and system just to launch. If you are running 1 gig of RAM with your Vista machine you are marginal at best.......remember your anti-virus, firewall, and other services running in the background are using RAM too. A Vista machine with less than 2 gigs or RAM and a video card with less than 512 megs dedicated will struggle with SL.

Your Uncle is probably correct that your computer should run most anything. But what your Uncle probably doesn't know is that SL uses OpenGL for graphics rendering where most online (and even local games/graphics programs use DirectX). So comparing World or Warcraft as a comparison is not valid. I believe most of your problems is you needing an updated video driver...........one with OpenGL 2.0 support or greater.

Actually I don't even get an error message. Nothing shows up it has the little grey box that says detecting hardware and the VFS thing but they a windows message pops up and says something caused the program to close. it doesn't have any solutions for it either. No error message no help from windows nothing. i'll take a picture of what shows up and post it

No.........as long as those programs are not running your computer doesn't know they exist. If they are running while you are trying to use SL that would make a big difference...............I trust you are not trying to do that, though. I think you're problem is your driver.

Is you video onboard or dedicated? What I'm asking is whether you video adapter is intergrated with your main board (motherboard) or a separate, dedicated (plugged into a slot on your motherboard). If it's dedicated, take the Catalyst driver.....if onboard (or IGP) take the Intergrated driver. You can look at the point where your monitor connects to the computer to tell.............the plugged in video will be down where the removable "tabs" are located. The intergrated will be up near where your USB devices connect. I'm assuming you have a desktop computer and not a laptop.

Does the windows error message say "application failed to initialize. (0xc00000142)". If so, this is a known problem in some versions of the viewer, fixed but not yet released. The work-around is to find the directory where your viewer is installed and delete the file winmm.dll from that directory (not from elsewhere). I don't know where the installation directory is in Vista. It will be called "Second Life .....". If that is not the error message, ignore this answer completely.

Well I looked at my graphics card again and it says I have the most recent graphics card. Do you think it will work if I try downloading the Phoenix viewer or whatever it is instead?? I read about it somewhere on here.

hy i have some problems can u help me ?i downloaded second life but the answer was:is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly are out of date or are for unsupported hardware please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest try reinstalling them.if you continue to receive this message contact the second life support portal.and i did try all of this but it doesn t work.please help me i really want to play  this game i have play it for 2 years and now it doesn t work at all.i m waiting for an answer .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.