*** in the General Discussion Forum

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 4/26/2019 at 6:41 PM, Amina Sopwith said:

I discovered that "wrist watch" has to be two words. 

I hope nobody here ever has to refer to a certain industrial town in North Lincolnshire whose MP is Nic Dakin.

Those of us who grew up in Lincolnshire refer to that town as "Sunny Scunny". Ironically, of course, due to the smog from the steelworks. Which I think are closed down now. I always hated that place.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Those of us who grew up in Lincolnshire refer to that town as "Sunny Scunny". Ironically, of course, due to the smog from the steelworks. Which I think are closed down now. I always hated that place.

oh is he the ***** in S-cun t-horpe

marches the elephant back outta the room

Edited by eyeye Afterthought

6 hours ago, kathyparnes1 said:

Are we chatting about town names? how about in austria there's a place called f***ing ! Google it!

Yep, I've heard of that, but my understanding is that it doesn't mean anything rude in any of the native languages. 

In the UK, there is also Greatbottom, Greatbottom Flash and a tiny village in Dorset that some people are trying to rebrand Sitterton, but where the majority of locals don't want to lose the all-important H from the correct name and prefer the original. Funnily enough, the name actually does refer to sewage. From the Anglo Saxon word schitte,  which in this case refers to a stream that the locals once used as a privy (a very long time ago, I hasten to add). I read a newspaper article about it once, and apparently the locals are very happy with the name and don't care what anyone else thinks, though they do wish visitors would stop nicking the signs.

I've just looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently we also have S*itlington Crags and S*ittlehope, but it's only S*itterton where the name really does refer to sewage.

I hope you all have a great day with this knowledge.

Edited by Amina Sopwith

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Yep, I've heard of that, but my understanding is that it doesn't mean anything rude in any of the native languages. 

In the UK, there is also Greatbottom, Greatbottom Flash and a tiny village in Dorset that some people are trying to rebrand Sitterton, but where the majority of locals don't want to lose the all-important H from the correct name and prefer the original. Funnily enough, the name actually does refer to sewage. From the Anglo Saxon word schitte,  which in this case refers to a stream that the locals once used as a privy (a very long time ago, I hasten to add). I read a newspaper article about it once, and apparently the locals are very happy with the name and don't care what anyone else thinks, though they do wish visitors would stop nicking the signs.

I've just looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently we also have S*itlington Crags and S*ittlehope, but it's only S*itterton where the name really does refer to sewage.

I hope you all have a great day with this knowledge.

I know where I should have been sitting while reading that. Could use some fresh reading material.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

What about Sunny Skeg or Skeg-Vegas?  I'm bit further down in Lincolnshire so hai neighbour!!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.