⚡ Linden Homes Security System ⚡

Patch Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 12/30/2021 at 5:48 AM, Abnor Mole said:

If you mean ban lines around the parcel he's been banned from, yes.

...but, there is a setting in the LL Viewer which makes the ban lines invisible, so if it is a neighbours' ban lines, then that fixes the seeing them problem, though doesn't take them away. However, for boating and flying, you need to see the ban lines to be able to avoid them.

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2021 at 10:46 AM, Elena Core said:

Thank you @Abnor Mole. And is it normal he keeps on seeing this yellow stripes around the house?

with official Linden Viewer then toggle menu: World \ Show \ Ban Lines

when toggled off we can't see the yellow tape of the ban line on our screen. Are avatar is still prevented from going onto the parcel tho

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sors Mercury said:

...but, there is a setting in the LL Viewer which makes the ban lines invisible, so if it is a neighbours' ban lines, then that fixes the seeing them problem, though doesn't take them away. However, for boating and flying, you need to see the ban lines to be able to avoid them.

Ban lines only extend a certain distance up from the ground, if you're flying into them, you're flying too low.

Regarding ban lines, it's 50m above terrain height - unless you're banned by name, in which case there's no practical limit. That is the problem with these instant-banning illegal orbs.

Dozens, and in some cases hundreds, of people are being banned illegitimately , even though they are following the rules. Removing the offending orb doesn't clear the illegal ban list. I don't see how (as previously mentioned) LL can't do anything about this.

It's all well and good to say residents have the right to ban whoever they want, and certainly I agree with that, but in this case it isn't a resident doing the banning, it's a device that's not allowed in Bellisseria. Therefore, logically, if the device is not valid to operate there, then surely the resulting action of that device, the banning, is also not valid.

Asking fellow residents to remove names from a ban list doesn't always work either, and when you have a ban list that has over 100 names in it, then in my opinion they are probably even less likely to do so, considering the work involved (or can you un-ban everyone at once?)

Honestly, it's taken a lot of the shine off Belli, when people who follow the covenant end up on ban lists, whilst nothing gets done about the many, many people who are breaking the covenant. :(

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Asking fellow residents to remove names from a ban list doesn't always work either, and when you have a ban list that has over 100 names in it, then in my opinion they are probably even less likely to do so, considering the work involved (or can you un-ban everyone at once?)

The policy also punishes subsequent residents--who weren't the one who employed the offending orb.  They have to take the time to remove a name from the parcel ban list and have no idea if it's harmless to answer this surprise request.  In many cases they also have to learn how to manage a list they didn't even know existed, which may require someone else's time to explain.

Edited by LibGwen

10 hours ago, LibGwen said:

The policy also punishes subsequent residents--who weren't the one who employed the offending orb.  They have to take the time to remove a name from the parcel ban list and have no idea if it's harmless to answer this surprise request.  In many cases they also have to learn how to manage a list they didn't even know existed, which may require someone else's time to explain.

Wow. I didn't know the parcel ban list continues, after someone new takes it over.

• Sad 1

This is a question about the access whitelist. It took me forever to figure out why mine wasn't working ( I didn't hit the allow list button) and helped my sister get her security system up and running, going through the same steps that I did. She got the message that I'm on her whitelist. I'm not getting ejected (YAY!) but it won't let me open the doors or windows or even open the menus. Is there a time limit before it lets me do stuff? I mean I set mine up but it was a week before she was inworld to see if it worked and she can access everything. What are we doing wrong? Thank you in advance!

8 minutes ago, Baiphen Quintessa said:

This is a question about the access whitelist. It took me forever to figure out why mine wasn't working ( I didn't hit the allow list button) and helped my sister get her security system up and running, going through the same steps that I did. She got the message that I'm on her whitelist. I'm not getting ejected (YAY!) but it won't let me open the doors or windows or even open the menus. Is there a time limit before it lets me do stuff? I mean I set mine up but it was a week before she was inworld to see if it worked and she can access everything. What are we doing wrong? Thank you in advance!

In addition to setting up the Access List for the doors/windows/etc.. (as mentioned by Elena), the list then also needs to actually be activated.  An additional step that is not really intuitive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In addition to setting up the Access List for the doors/windows/etc.. (as mentioned by Elena), the list then also needs to actually be activated.  An additional step that is not really intuitive.

To answer Elena's question, we did make sure that I was on both lists. I was there when she put me on the house list. She said that activated the two, I saw the chat that stated I was on the access list for both and I had assumed that since I wasn't ejected from her property when she turned her security system on that she did something correctly. What button does she need to hit, I told it was the allow list because that was the one I'm pretty sure I used (it was a week ago and sometimes my memory is caca). But if you could tell me what button I can direct her to this post and maybe it'll work this time. Maybe I wrote the steps down wrong?

• Like 1

In a nutshell:  

The Linden Homes Security System controls access to your parcel.

The control panel just inside the from door of your house controls access to your house.

The two systems are independent.  They do not talk to each other.

When you use the Access button in your control panel or your Security System, you must first create a list. To do this, Add a name by clicking its Add Name button.  Once you have one or more names in the access list, you always have three choices for setting access permissions:

Use List activates the access list and lets anyone on it have access 

Anyone lets any visitor have access

Only Me lets you be the only person with access.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

In a nutshell:  

The Linden Homes Security System controls access to your parcel.

The control panel just inside the from door of your house controls access to your house.

The two systems are independent.  They do not talk to each other.

When you use the Access button in your control panel or your Security System, you must first create a list. To do this, Add a name by clicking its Add Name button.  Once you have one or more names in the access list, you always have three choices for setting access permissions:

Use List activates the access list and lets anyone on it have access 

Anyone lets any visitor have access

Only Me lets you be the only person with access.

Thank you! I can now send her over so she can read and understand. You're a doll! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is not at all helpful, as not all Linden Homes actually have visible controllers. I’ve looked all around my property and there is nothing there. And, just tonight I’ve had the experience of someone landing in my house while I’m in bed with someone and had to eject him. But don’t tout features such as the “house controller” and the accompanying security if it’s not actually available in the homes we are paying for. It’s weak. 

2 hours ago, MaratKirilov said:

This is not at all helpful, as not all Linden Homes actually have visible controllers. I’ve looked all around my property and there is nothing there. And, just tonight I’ve had the experience of someone landing in my house while I’m in bed with someone and had to eject him. But don’t tout features such as the “house controller” and the accompanying security if it’s not actually available in the homes we are paying for. It’s weak. 

You can obtain the security orb by going to your mailbox and getting the content kit. Inside the content kit you will find the box that contains the security orb along with instructions on how to install and use it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MaratKirilov said:

This is not at all helpful, as not all Linden Homes actually have visible controllers.

No, ALL Linden Homes in Bellisseria have control panels.  (If you are in an old-style home (not in Bellisseria), you're right; those old homes were built with a completely different technology.)  In Bellisseria, though, the control panel in every single house is just inside the front door.  And as Blush says, you can get a copy of the separate Security System from your mailbox out front of your home in Bellisseria.  It's included among the extras in the content package.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MaratKirilov said:

Here is a picture of the "House Controller" for every type of NEW Linden Home.  Touch it and there will be an option for a "Content Creation Pack".  Rez that box and inside you'll find the security package.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:New_Linden_Homes_2019#House_controllers

• Like 2

On 1/15/2022 at 3:16 AM, MaratKirilov said:

Sorry you had such an uncomfortable experience of intruder during a "private moment." That has got to be annoying.

If you recently moved into your house, it could have been a friend of the previous owner who had logged out from there and just logged back in, or possibly a friend coming to visit the previous owner and was unaware that the person had moved.

Or it could have been a troll or a pervert... hard to say.

I personally keep my homes PG so that there is nothing adult for visitors to see or play with. I have no need of a security system, so I dont use one. However, I would use it if I were in your situation.

I recommend that you click your house controller (the mailbox outside the property that lets you select the style of house to Rez) and select the "Content Creation Pack" from it. It will deliver you a box. Rez and open it. Then look for "Security System" object and rez/open it. This is the boxed security controller. 

Once you have the security system unpacked, you will find instructions to use it and the system itself. It is only 1 LI and sorta nice looking. Go ahead and rez it and set it up.

Even with the system, it gives 15 seconds warning before it ejects people, so there is still the possibility of getting unwanted guests for brief periods of time. If some creep keeps popping back in after being ejected over and over again, you can manually ban him/her.

This is not as "foolproof" as mainland or private region homes where you can disallow guests not on an access list, but it works very well most of the time.

Good luck :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

Sorry you had such an uncomfortable experience of intruder during a "private moment." That has got to be annoying.

If you recently moved into your house, it could have been a friend of the previous owner who had logged out from there and just logged back in, or possibly a friend coming to visit the previous owner and was unaware that the person had moved.

Or it could have been a troll or a pervert... hard to say.

I personally keep my homes PG so that there is nothing adult for visitors to see or play with. I have no need of a security system, so I dont use one. However, I would use it if I were in your situation.

I recommend that you click your house controller (the mailbox outside the property that lets you select the style of house to Rez) and select the "Content Creation Pack" from it. It will deliver you a box. Rez and open it. Then look for "Security System" object and rez/open it. This is the boxed security controller. 

Once you have the security system unpacked, you will find instructions to use it and the system itself. It is only 1 LI and sorta nice looking. Go ahead and rez it and set it up.

Even with the system, it gives 15 seconds warning before it ejects people, so there is still the possibility of getting unwanted guests for brief periods of time. If some creep keeps popping back in after being ejected over and over again, you can manually ban him/her.

This is not as "foolproof" as mainland or private region homes where you can disallow guests not on an access list, but it works very well most of the time.

Good luck :)

Thanks for that, but in my particular home, there’s no mailbox or anything. There’s a control panel just inside the front door that has choices that are: Accessory Controls; Complete Texture Sets; and, Home Detail Textures. My understanding is that not every home has this option available and so, especially after my really unsettling experience, I’m annoyed they don’t make it available in every Linden home.

BTW, the guy who came in was using voice only, and saying things like “This is a moderate region, you can’t do things like this here. You’re going to be thrown out.” And later he said “Both of you f@gs are going to die.”

I did buy a CasperSafe system but I’m still trying to figure it out. Mostly, I just wish that SL made what they are touting in the OP available in all Linden homes.

9 minutes ago, MaratKirilov said:

Thanks for that, but in my particular home, there’s no mailbox or anything. There’s a control panel just inside the front door that has choices that are: Accessory Controls; Complete Texture Sets; and, Home Detail Textures. My understanding is that not every home has this option available and so, especially after my really unsettling experience, I’m annoyed they don’t make it available in every Linden home.

BTW, the guy who came in was using voice only, and saying things like “This is a moderate region, you can’t do things like this here. You’re going to be thrown out.” And later he said “Both of you f@gs are going to die.”

I did buy a CasperSafe system but I’m still trying to figure it out. Mostly, I just wish that SL made what they are touting in the OP available in all Linden homes.

Several people have already pointed out the answer to you... I will do it again.

EVERY BELLISSERIA HOME has 2 different kinds of panels.   ONE is inside the home next to the front door.  This panel does NOT contain a security system.  That is strictly for things like changing the color of your home or locking the doors etc...

the SECOND control panel is in the form of a mailbox... it is located in front of your house just OUTSIDE the parcel boundary.  It is the same box you use to cycle through the choices of home styles.  ALSO inside that mailbox is an option to receive a content pack.  INSIDE that content pack is a Linden made security system.  You will have to rez out that system inside your parcel and use it there.

This is available in every linden home and I'm happy to swing by your house and show you where to get it if this does not explain it clearly enough.

Now if your Linden Home  is one of the old ones...

MEadowbrook, Tahoe, Elderglen, or Shareta Osumai

These are the old style homes and you can use ban lines on these if you wish.  They dont have the same set of controls as the Bellisseria Homes

Edited by Evangeline Ling

8 minutes ago, MaratKirilov said:

It is possible that you are in an old Style Linden Home, which are actually slated to be deprecated in a few more years.  Those did not have House Rezzers and thus the content packs that are in those rezzers.

Do you know what type of Home you are in?

I don’t remember what it’s called, but I know it’s an older one. It looks like I’m somewhere in Southern California (which as a Russian, appeals to me) and there’s lots of windows. The house is very boxy and has two floors. Again, I really loved the house, but I am so profoundly disturbed by what happened that I can’t stay.

26 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is possible that you are in an old Style Linden Home, which are actually slated to be deprecated in a few more years.  Those did not have House Rezzers and thus the content packs that are in those rezzers.

Do you know what type of Home you are in?

Ok. So it was Belliseria/Upper Skylight. But I have left. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.