⚡ Linden Homes Security System ⚡

Patch Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 190 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

39 minutes ago, Adair Warwick said:

This may seem ludicrously obvious to most, but bear with me, I am a Luddite.  

Great idea!  I love it.  Linden security system.  Um... where does one *obtain* said system? 

In your mailbox.  Its in in the content creation pack

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, Miller Thor said:

@Patch Linden Is it allowed to use the Casper security system, which can be adapted almost exactly to the building and thus the object to be protected?

You are allowed to use any security system as long as it does not violate the covenant rules for security.  i.e. you cannot teleport home (use eject instead) and you must wait 15 seconds before doing anything and you cannot apply it to people in the 500-1600m range.

Edited the info above based on this post:

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

• Moles
38 minutes ago, Miller Thor said:

Is it allowed to use the Casper security system, which can be adapted almost exactly to the building and thus the object to be protected?

Yes, indeed.,  Your Linden Homes covenant says:

Security orbs are only allowed if they comply with the following restrictions:
     -Minimum of 15 seconds warning time (no shorter)
     -Eject from parcel only (not teleport them home)
     -Effective range cannot include the airspace between 400m and 2000m (to allow for people to fly overhead but not in the airspace where skyboxes are allowed)

If you are uncertain, there is a free security system provided in the Linden Homes Content Pack. It does not have the ability to be set in a manner that does not comply with these restrictions. Click on the house controller outside of your parcel (the one used for changing house models) to get the most current content pack sent to you.

The obvious advantage of using the Lab's system is that you know that it meets the covenant requirements (and it's free).  You are welcome to use another system that you may be comfortable with, as long as you adjust it to comply with the covenant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

• 3 months later...

Is there a MAXIMUM time to still be in compliance with the Moderate Land rules?  For example, can you set up the raunchiest Naked Lizard Queen Dominatrix Cannibal Sorority Sisters on the Moon chapter in all of SL history, unseen behind closed doors, no ban lines but with an orb set to eject after 24 hours?  Is that considered too long?  How about 12 hours?  Six?  One?  Fifteen minutes?

• Haha 2

• Moles
19 minutes ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

For example, can you set up the raunchiest Naked Lizard Queen Dominatrix Cannibal Sorority Sisters on the Moon chapter in all of SL history, unseen behind closed doors, no ban lines but with an orb set to eject after 24 hours?

So, you and your sorority sisters are planning to rent out rooms by the hour, and you want to be able to eject visitors who overstay their welcome?  Yes, you should be able to do that.  There's no upper limit on ejection time.  Just a lower limit.  Remember that you have to enter the time in seconds.....   Be really careful about how visible your sorority's activities are, of course.  I suggest a skybox.  Remember the 2000m lower limit.   😏

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the reply.  No, in the past, I've been under the incorrect assumption that Mature land allowed one to let anyone on your land regardless of activities involved, and that said activities could be out in the open.  This thread has made me aware that I misunderstood how Moderate land works.  I just wanted clarification that I don't need to insta-blast random explorers away;  I can let like-minded individuals use my adult devices for 24 hours if I want, leaving the responsibility for those not into such things to go elsewhere in the hands of the random explorers themselves (provided it's all out-of-view, of course).  Not planning anything in Belli, but used some extra m2 at my tier to get a nice small Moderate mainland place to play around on.  I'll probably keep it set to private anyhow, just wanted to know if it would be considered a Moderate Land TOS violation to say "yeah, sure, I'm making sure to kick folks who aren't group members out...after 24 hours."  Sorry, not trying to be sneaky, it's just the way my mind works, as it is wired a bit differently than the majority of the population, my volunteer work involves scrutinizing bylaws for precise wording, and professionally I've been expected to think outside the box and provide work-arounds on-the-fly.

Edited by Rabid Cheetah
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Is there a MAXIMUM time to still be in compliance with the Moderate Land rules?  For example, can you set up the raunchiest Naked Lizard Queen Dominatrix Cannibal Sorority Sisters on the Moon chapter in all of SL history, unseen behind closed doors, no ban lines but with an orb set to eject after 24 hours?  Is that considered too long?  How about 12 hours?  Six?  One?  Fifteen minutes?

I think as long as the filth-too-degenerate-for-my-Christian-SL can't be accidentally stumbled on from the ground level, you're good.

Like, no signs/pictures that could be seen from outside the house, etc. If you have a teleporter to a separate skybox, that's all you probably need, but I'm no Linden.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moles

Hmmm.. Without an idea of what error message you may be seeing, it's a little hard to know where to start.  I can't replicate the effect myself.  If you can replicate the effect, gather as many details as you can and put them into a JIRA BUG report so we have something to work with.

Edited by Dyna Mole
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mateo Firecaster said:

i haven't tried to add anymore people on it so i don't no the exact script error, as for rezzing a new copy yes i've done that & get the same results

Just pick a name at random -- @Dyna Mole for instance -- and try adding them so that you can capture the error.  

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 7:44 PM, Mateo Firecaster said:

LH - Security System // V2.3.1: Too many llRequestUsername requests.  Throttled until average falls.

Too many llRequestUsername requests.  Throttled until average falls.

thats the script error, i now currently have 18 on my white list but keep getting that error if i try to add more

• Moles
11 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

Thanks, Mateo.  That gives me a starting point. I'll see what can be done.

Hmmm.  The problem is a server throttle.  The script uses an LSL function (llRequestUsername) that makes the servers complain if you call it too many times in a short period of time.  When you have a rather long list of people in your whitelist and the script is verifying that each name is valid, it apparently hits that throttle limit. It's not a limit that I was aware of when I created the system. Short of rewriting the script's logic to make it slow down, there's not much we can do, but I will make a note to address it in a future upgrade.  For now, I suggest keeping your whitelist to 15 or fewer of your close friends, since you know that's the number that the servers seem to tolerate.  Sorry about the less than exciting reply. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

Hmmm.  The problem is a server throttle.  The script uses an LSL function (llRequestUsername) that makes the servers complain if you call it too many times in a short period of time.  When you have a rather long list of people in your whitelist and the script is verifying that each name is valid, it apparently hits that throttle limit. It's not a limit that I was aware of when I created the system. Short of rewriting the script's logic to make it slow down, there's not much we can do, but I will make a note to address it in a future upgrade.  For now, I suggest keeping your whitelist to 15 or fewer of your close friends, since you know that's the number that the servers seem to tolerate.  Sorry about the less than exciting reply. 

Thank you, at the moment i have 20 on my whitelist & holding, so far no problems. no rush on an update, so far everything has been quiet at my home lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 3:01 AM, Josephina Bonetto said:

I get the same script error but did manage to get up to 16. I am not an orb user but I fell asleep afk and found someone trying to do heinous things to my fully dressed avatar. I decided if this security system was a non annoying one then I'd start using it.

Sorry that you went through this.  It's creepy when a stranger does it.

That said, I've been known to build cages around friends when they go AFK, and snap a picture.  Or rez innocent-looking objects and place them in such a way that it looks like my friends are engaging in really out-there stuff.  Then I snap a picture and IM them:  "Caught you with Clairabelle the Cow.  Bessie's gonna be furious when she finds out."  🐄

That's all fun and games.  I'd like to say "it's just a game" and laugh at situations like you've described, haha it's just pixels, they're just having fun with little cartoon people...but I can't.  Regardless of the rationality, or lack thereof, of the emotions that occur when this happens, those emotions are very real.  I've had random creepos do that to me when just lounging on a chair at the beach;  You DO feel violated.

So, despite my strong opinions about orbs (I'm firmly planted in the "This is the worst thing since Autotune" camp), I concede that they do, from time to time, have very practical uses.

Edited by Rabid Cheetah
me hate typ0s;
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Script errors aside, the Linden Home security system has worked really well for me in keeping my SL perv free since I posted. I will never use security orbs anywhere else, but here it does help me get a bit of peace (my mainland plots are public "destinations" so I use my Linden Home for down time).

I did get a bit creeped out by that guy helping himself to my avatar while I was afk in my home. I know it wasn't "me" but it is still sinister somehow that someone does not need you to be mentally there in order to ...... finish. But that is a whole other debate LOL.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 190 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.