⚡ Linden Homes Security System ⚡

Patch Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there a way, I wonder, for LL or the Moles to send out notices continent-wide to the residents to alert them of things like the new security orb, sort of like they do for restarts or something similar? I've been in SL for over a decade and until the last week or so, never looked at the forums. 

With this being a new community experiment sort of thing, and an awesome one at that, it might be super helpful for LL to have a way to communicate changes, etc., to all the residents inworld like other land owners do through group notices instead of hoping people look at the forums to see them. 

• Like 7

On 5/2/2019 at 8:38 AM, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

My assumption is that the box is 5 LI simply because of the various buttons attached to it. I would think that if the moles did have magical powers that allowed them to set any LI they wanted to anything they wanted, surely they would not have left the security panel at 5 LI.

You can make complex control panels with 1 LI by making the panel a single and using llDetectedTouchPos to tell which button was pushed. This is a pain, because the script has to know where the buttons are on the surface. So it's not done much. I've seen a few large control panels which work that way. You can even do sliders that way. The Particle Organ near the Ivory Tower is set up that way.

genteknoc_001.thumb.png.300e7a8547f30f2114fbe9c9866902b6.png

Network Operations Center Many buttons on those big consoles.

(There was a time when you could dial 911 on Gentek phones throughout SL, and an operator here would answer. They had connections to all the various roleplay emergency services within SL, and would connect to the appropriate service and deal with the problem.)

27 minutes ago, animats said:

You can make complex control panels with 1 LI by making the panel a single and using llDetectedTouchPos to tell which button was pushed. This is a pain, because the script has to know where the buttons are on the surface. So it's not done much. I've seen a few large control panels which work that way. You can even do sliders that way.

The controller for my own rezzing system consists of 28 distinct objects (mainly just hidden/invisi, complex-shape prims inside, that can hold 'parcel media' data on them, good for a near 256Kb storage device), with just a single outer mesh container set as root. All set to have a physics shape of 'None' (except the outer hull), the entire controller is only 6 LI. I suspect a similar thing can be done for almost all complex controllers. I mean, all those buttons, they don't really need collision (yes, LOL, I get the irony of that statement). All that's often required is that you just won't be able to walk right thru your controller. Physics shape is your friend. :) 

16 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Is there a way, I wonder, for LL or the Moles to send out notices continent-wide to the residents to alert them of things like the new security orb, sort of like they do for restarts or something similar? I've been in SL for over a decade and until the last week or so, never looked at the forums. 

With this being a new community experiment sort of thing, and an awesome one at that, it might be super helpful for LL to have a way to communicate changes, etc., to all the residents inworld like other land owners do through group notices instead of hoping people look at the forums to see them. 

Perhaps some kind of message sent out via the content packs that also delivered the orbs? Suggestion from someone who has not yet managed to get a spot on Bellisaria.

11 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Why would anyone want to roleplay working in a call centre ?

Somehow that old Monty Python skit about the place you can go to so you can get an argument, verbal abuse, or hit on the head comes to mind. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Female Winslet said:

Perhaps some kind of message sent out via the content packs that also delivered the orbs? Suggestion from someone who has not yet managed to get a spot on Bellisaria.

Except the content packs aren't automatically delivered. It's an option in the menu where you choose your houseboat or house type. 

I think a lot of people don't even know the orbs exist or that the covenant has been updated. They clicked their buoy or mailbox when they first got their parcel, chose their style, and forgot about it. Since there was no inworld message to let anyone know it was updated with an orb, unless they read the forums, they wouldn't know about it. 

• Like 1

I've been out and about flying and have run into several orbs with settings not set properly according to the new guidelines. I have sent a message to each orb owner telling them about the changes and that they can check the covenant for themselves to see the changes. In all but one case, the owners have responded thanking me for the information and saying they have reset their orbs.

• Like 16

11 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I've been out and about flying and have run into several orbs with settings not set properly according to the new guidelines. I have sent a message to each orb owner telling them about the changes and that they can check the covenant for themselves to see the changes. In all but one case, the owners have responded thanking me for the information and saying they have reset their orbs.

I think I probably would have also grabbed an LM of each location, in case an owner doesn't change it and you hit it again.  Then you know that you have already pointed them to the info and so it might be time for an AR.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Would probably be best if everyone just used the official Linden orb, I think. I will.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Would probably be best if everyone just used the official Linden orb, I think. I will.

I like the fact we can use our own orb as long as it meets the standards and regulations posed by LL. I prefer having a bit of wiggle room for people than having only one option. There are bound to be hiccups on any new venture and patience is always key.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kiramanell said:

I prefer the functions of mine that the official one lacks, not to mention it's not 5 LI

I think what would actually be best would be for everybody to follow the covenant.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

I prefer the functions of mine that the official one lacks, not to mention it's not 5 LI

I think what would actually be best would be for everybody to follow the covenant.

I's probably just easier to use the Linden one, was my idea. I mean, it can't operate between 500-2,000m, needs a 15 secs delay, cannot TP you home, etc. The Linden one just automagically conforms to the Covenant.

4 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I's probably just easier to use the Linden one, was my idea. I mean, it can't operate between 500-2,000m, needs a 15 secs delay, cannot TP you home, etc. The Linden one just automagically conforms to the Covenant.

So does mine, because I read the directions and set it up that way. They only do what you tell them to do.

But explain please how removing the freedom of choice for others and requiring the use of the LL one will make the improper ones magically disappear? They are illegal now, they wold be illegal then.  If there is no active enforcement - rules are useless.

If they want to restrict it to official only, well...  We can still enable damage.

Edited by Gryphon Ronas
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

So does mine, because I read the directions and set it up that way. They only do what you tell them to do.

But explain please how removing the freedom of choice for others and requiring the use of the LL one will make the improper ones magically disappear? They are illegal now, they wold be illegal then.  If there is no active enforcement - rules are useless.

If they want to restrict it to official only, well...  We can still enable damage.

I was never talking about 'removing the freedom of choice for others.' All I said was, 'Would probably be best if everyone just used the official Linden orb.' :) Just easier, is all.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

oooooooo! naughty!!

Warning! warning! You have 15 seconds to vacate this restricted airspace or you gunna get a missile up your tail pipe! 😛

Even worse if they are walking...  No vehicle / engine / tailpipe...  well, sorta

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kiramanell said:

I was never talking about 'removing the freedom of choice for others.' All I said was, 'Would probably be best if everyone just used the official Linden orb.' :) Just easier, is all.

I think everyone knows what is best for themselves just as you do for yourself.  One size of anything never fits all.  People have choices ranging from easy to more challenging, choices are a good thing.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I think everyone knows what is best for themselves just as you do for yourself.  One size of anything never fits all.  People have choices ranging from easy to more challenging, choices are a good thing.

Been reading these security threads, and read about ppl chasing misbehaving orbs, and sending out notecards to their owners and such. So, clearly not everyone's got it right. Looking at it that way, wouldn't it then just be easier if peeps just used the Linden orb? Would save everyone a lot of hassle.

15 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Been reading these security threads, and read about ppl chasing misbehaving orbs, and sending out notecards to their owners and such. So, clearly not everyone's got it right.

There is nothing to suggest those people are having difficulty making their orb compliant.  It is far more likely that they either didn't get the memo about the rule change, didn't realise the LL orb was available yet and still think the old rules apply or just don't care.

On the other hand for those people who do know what they are doing, and remember that the vast majority of the orb problem has vanished, there is no reason to expect them to have to use something with training wheels on if they want something more customizable.

15 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Looking at it that way, wouldn't it then just be easier if peeps just used the Linden orb? Would save everyone a lot of hassle.

Easier for who?  Why would it have to be more hassle for anyone else? If people who want to use something different wanted it easier then they would use the easy option.  Sometimes people don't want easier and for people who don't intend to be in non-compliance or a problem, why should they?

You are coming across as very pushy by expecting people to follow what you think, you should respect that people think differently to you.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gabriele Graves said:

You are coming across as very pushy by expecting people to follow what you think, you should respect that people think differently to you.

Actually, it's ere the other way around: you are coming off as very defensive over... pretty much nothing: basically just me wondering (out-loud) whether it might be easier if everyone were using the Linden orb, is all. 

Just now, kiramanell said:

Actually, it's ere the other way around: you are coming off as very defensive over... pretty much nothing: basically just me wondering (out-loud) whether it might be easier if everyone were using the Linden orb, is all. 

I have nothing to be defensive over, I don't intend to use an orb at all myself.  You made statements about what you think people should do and why which in my opinion crossed way over the line from mere wondering out loud.  If this is all nothing then why persist with it?  You have said your piece and some of us disagree strongly, that is all.

You know, I don't recall her saying that LL should force anyone to use the official orb. She said it might be easier if everyone did so. I took that to mean that it would be easier for the USERS as well as passers-by. I don't see why there is an argument about to start over such a simple musing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ones I contacted changed the settings on their orbs to be compliant. There wasn't anything difficult about it. They were just unaware of the change in policy. Once informed they complied. They didn't need to use the LL provided orb. There's nothing difficult about it. It's easier for a person to decide what meets their needs best and then use that method. Unfortunately, for many having an orb that is 5 LI does NOT meet their needs. 

The simplest thing to do is do what works for you and not suggest how others should do what is best for them. There's always more than one way to get to the desired outcome. :)

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

You know, I don't recall her saying that LL should force anyone to use the official orb. She said it might be easier if everyone did so. I took that to mean that it would be easier for the USERS as well as passers-by. I don't see why there is an argument about to start over such a simple musing. 

Thanks. :) That's exactly where I was coming from. Reading the various issues ppl appeared to have encounted with misbehaving orbs, I simply figured it might be easiest if ppl just used the offical Linden orb. Like I said, so will I. Even though scripting my own security system is something I could easily do, why bother? I mean, I'm just gonna slap that Linden thing on the wall, and be done with it. Easy-peasy. :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.