Encroachment

Jaine444

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How do you resolve encroachment on two different sides of a new property.  I have sent messages to the owners but still awaiting response.  If they do not respond do I remove the massive objects?  LOL two look to be rather large parts of a small mountain.  Not sure what would happen if I tried to move them?  Don't even see an edit so would have to return whole thing.  Puzzled - Jaine444

If items are encroaching onto your parcel, sending a message to the owners of the objects is a good first step.  Not everyone is in-world as often as others, so I would allow for that in waiting for responses (also, if you sent an IM, follow that up with sending a notecard).  If there isn't any response, after a few days or a week,  I would then see if you have the option to return the item, and if you do, use that option.  If you don't have the option to return the item, then you would need to escalate the issue to LL to take care of.  I'm not sure if it would be via filing an abuse report or via a support ticket.  (I haven't actually had this particular situation arise, which is why I'm unclear on this last part). 

Good luck!

• Like 1

If the items have their root prim off your parcel, it's highly unlikely that you are going to be able to remove them. If the prim count for it is showing on your parcel, then you can return them. This is assuming of course that you actually own the property. You say it is a new property, does that mean you've just acquired it? And if so, were the items encroaching before you bought it? If the price was a bargain, that may explain why 😕

You've got in touch with the owners, which is the perfect first step. I don't know how long ago it was that you sent your message, but you may have to wait a few days, people are different with their frequency of log ins.

You can't just nudge over the object... you will have to return the whole thing. When it's a really clear case, I don't send messages. I just return the thing. It's not like someone didn't notice the giant house they placed covered half my stuff. They were hoping I wouldn't log in and notice.

The idea of sending a message is nice, but it's not very practical for most small parcels. I've had things cover my stuff that block access or cover my products for sale. That's going back the moment I find it, not after two weeks to see if they'll respond.

So, if you need someone to say it's fine to return it, I'm saying it. If the system lets you return it, the item was where it shouldn't have been. Don't feel bad about it. Don't feel you have to put up with it being in the way for weeks whilst you wait for a response.

• Like 2

Thank you so much.  I bought it last week but the encroachments were in the water and I did not immediately see them.  I may have to return if possible because I will be trying to put a boat there.  It's encroachment from two neighbors lol, I checked out inside and outside but these were dark enough to be "hidden" !  Thank you, I will try to let you know the resolutioin.  Jaine444

Oh and the root may be in the other property, not sure but they are massive jagged rock.  Have never run into this but on my properties I always check and double check because want to be a good neighbor!  Still will continue to be if I can in this situation.  Thank you guys!!!!  Jaine444

WOW oh WOW!  Am floored.  Both owners came and fixed their problems.  Sent them thank you's and if I can return favor - which they don't appear to need.  They had to do some major rearrangement to remove large obstacles but they are definitely on their sides now.  Whew - thank you all and end of story!  Jaine

• Like 9

I check to see if they are in any open join groups, if the've been logged in in the last week or two, I'll send a polite note asking them to please resolve the issue. If I don't get a reply or they haven't been on in the recent past, I just return the items and let it be on them. The root prim doesn't have to be on your parcel to do this. If any part of an object or linkset goes over the parcel border onto your parcel, you can return the whole thing. If you're using Firestorm, you can see the parcel borders from seafloor to max build height so it's easy to check. 

7 hours ago, Crim Mip said:

The root prim doesn't have to be on your parcel to do this. If any part of an object or linkset goes over the parcel border onto your parcel, you can return the whole thing.

I didn't know this had changed... very good to know, thanks Crim!

12 hours ago, Walpurgisnacht said:

I didn't know this had changed... very good to know, thanks Crim!

It has changed... but not always.

You can make a sculpty that visibly covers someone else's land and if you position it right, they can't return it. Even if they CAN return an object right next to it.

Likewise, you can make a mesh that is 100% visibly inside your land, with even more than a 0.1m gap, and sometimes the neighbor CAN return it even though the entire thing appears to be inside your land even when viewed in wireframe mode.

- I've learned both of these facts the hard way in recent months...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Off-parcel rocks in water off the edge of the world are quite common. Especially where land runs almost to the edge of the world with a tiny strip of water. You can buy special rocks for that on Marketplace, all the way up to an island with a lighthouse almost 64m off the edge of the world. Off the world edge, they're harmless. But you don't get to use those on real land.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.