Skin vs Mesh Skin?

Aerdrie Fabre

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 5/6/2019 at 8:45 AM, Aerdrie Fabre said:

Thanks for this useful tip!  

As an aside, I feel like the general trepidation/misconception of mesh bodies isn't just about the bodies themselves, but about the changes to how SL is used from back in the olden days.  I realize this is obvious to those who have been inworld for recent years as mesh bodies became a thing, but as an oldie, I didn't realize until actually playing with the bodies that really it's just based off of your base avatar shape.  It makes body joints(?) smoother (and more often than not, the rear-end bigger).  I think part of the trepidation for folks who have been on a break from SL and are just now coming back, is that the way you navigate the system feels more complex than it used to be.  Now it feels VERY HUD-heavy and instead of being able to universally use clothing, you have to demo everything before buying it.  Kind of feels like a "how many clicks to get to the outfit you want" sort of thing.  Of course, this increases the power of customization so there is that benefit.

That said, I totally get where Conifer's coming from .  My system body was not far off from my mesh body, even with the smoother curves added.  AND my clothing options are significantly greater - not only because of the amount of time I put into getting those outfits, but because I agree about the "baggy" items.  System clothes obviously fit a bit tighter because well...they're pretty much drawn on the body itself.  An outfit I just got last night for my mesh body looked a little like I had wrapped foam around my body.  Still a great dress, but would have been better if it'd been "thinner", or closer to the body.  (And yes, I did demo it, so I was aware of the effect).  

Anyway, so I don't go too far off topic.  For any other folks using this thread as a way to learn about skins/mesh bodies, thus far I've learned the following that I don't think was mentioned before (or maybe it was and I didn't understand it EDIT: Skell definitely mentioned it...and now I'm repeating it 😛)

If you have a Mesh Head, you don't actually need to buy a new system skin or system/classic skin applier.  Mesh heads seem to come with their own set of skins and body appliers.  So as long as your Mesh Head company has a body applier for your mesh body, it can ensure that your mesh body has the same tone of skin as your head.  This extrapolates to what I have been taught which (I believe) is if you want to find a different brand of skin for your whole mesh head/body, then you need to find the applier for your body and your head for that particular skin.

Following combos (Brand names used as examples...but also because that's what I used):

• System Head
  • System Body
  • LAQ Classic Skin
  • Need: No appliers.
  • Clothing: Look for clothing that says it's for classic/system AVs
  • System Head
  • Maitreya Mesh Body
  • LAQ Classic Skin
  • Need: LAQ Applier for Maitreya Body (gives LAQ tones for Maitreya body)
  • Clothing: Look for mesh clothing that says it's for Maitreya. System clothing will not work though prim attachments should.
  • LOGO Mesh Head (comes with 6 diff tones of skin in customization installer/hud)
  • Maitreya Mesh Body
  • No System Skin Needed
  • Need: LOGO Applier for Maitreya Body (matches your body's tone with your face's tone)
  • Clothing: Look for mesh clothing that says it's for Maitreya.  System clothing will not work though prim attachments should.

Tune in for more adventures :p.

at this point in time i think the first choice for basic avatars both male and female do have mesh heads and bodies... hands feet etc

3 hours ago, ShivaGayatriTheMostAncient said:

at this point in time i think the first choice for basic avatars both male and female do have mesh heads and bodies... hands feet etc

You also thought that your personal thoughtful wisdom justified resurrecting old suggestions with a full quote?

Is there even any mesh body left which doesn't come with hands and feet?

Edited by Lillith Hapmouche

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.