lindons home

cindy20au Harvy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

12 answers to this question

LL have turned off the ban lines settings for the whole new Lindens Homes estate. Which means that the ability to add people to your access list is also turned off.  Anybody can come onto your home parcel, (anybody includes your friends) unless you specifically add a person to your parcel ban list

basically it means you can't ban Everyone except for the people on your access list

you have to ban everyone else (who are not friends) individually and specifically by name. Up to 300 everyone elses

• Like 1

They're also going to supply some sort of scripted security feature; until then, you're allowed to use your own which could theoretically have about the same effect as the banlines. We don't know what will be possible with the Linden-supplied script (or rather I don't know, but I haven't really been paying attention lately).

Dunno 'bout you, but I sure wouldn't think it worth my time to set up my own security script knowing it will be replaced Real Soon Now.

4 hours ago, Mollymews said:

LL have turned off the ban lines settings for the whole new Lindens Homes estate. Which means that the ability to add people to your access list is also turned off.

Proactive neighborhood beautification...good for them!  Ban lines are such ugly things.

54 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Proactive neighborhood beautification...good for them!  Ban lines are such ugly things.

only when we totally insist on not ticking off menu: World \ Show \ Banlines. It always makes me laugh a little bit when people (not looking at anyone :D ) insist on not ticking this off. Like since 2007. Thank you Jack Linden :)

@Qie, as an aside I am going to be interested in how LL implement the security

I was kinda thinking out loud about it in another thread. Would be quite good if they did it as an experience, teleported to an estate zone of some kind, rather than the whole get sent home thing. If the ethos of the estate is to be  a non-harsh community feel then some kinda experience-based thing be a whole lot softer

Even softer yet, an orb can be scripted to llEjectFromLand instead of llTeleportAgentHome, which is a kinder, gentler punishment.  Of course, if you are given adequate warning time, you ought to be able to leave a parcel the size of a Linden Home before the orb does anything to you.  We'll just have to see.

9 hours ago, Mollymews said:

only when we totally insist on not ticking off menu: World \ Show \ Banlines. It always makes me laugh a little bit when people (not looking at anyone :D ) insist on not ticking this off. Like since 2007. Thank you Jack Linden :)

Making ban lines invisible in your viewer does solve the "ugly" problem.  But it makes it even easier to run into them while sailing, flying, or driving.  Not an ideal solution, in my view.

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Making ban lines invisible in your viewer ...  makes it even easier to run into them while sailing, flying, or driving.  Not an ideal solution, in my view.

i agree with this part. It is not ideal at all for travelers

i just put out here again for Somebody Linden who has nothing else to do one day somehow maybe hope so.  What I would like is that when an avatar on a vehicle hits a banline or hits a no-object-entry parcel then the vehicle is bounced off. It doesn't get stuck in the fence

6 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Even softer yet, an orb can be scripted to llEjectFromLand instead of llTeleportAgentHome, which is a kinder, gentler punishment.  Of course, if you are given adequate warning time, you ought to be able to leave a parcel the size of a Linden Home before the orb does anything to you.  We'll just have to see.

a little issue with llEjectFromLand is that we have no script control over direction, so sometimes the parcel you are ejected too is also scripted to eject you. I have had that happen to me on old mainland. Boing boing :)

with Experience Teleport then the ejectee could be sent to the estate airfield/docks region(s) where they can easily rez another vehicle and have another go in a different direction. It might be ok this as the main body of complaints do come from vehicle operators who get caught out by all this.  I think I would rather get sent to a vehicle rez zone, if I was to be sent anywhere

Edited by Mollymews
wordiness

14 hours ago, Mollymews said:

@Qie, as an aside I am going to be interested in how LL implement the security

I was kinda thinking out loud about it in another thread. Would be quite good if they did it as an experience, teleported to an estate zone of some kind, rather than the whole get sent home thing. If the ethos of the estate is to be  a non-harsh community feel then some kinda experience-based thing be a whole lot softer

That's interesting. The Lab is uniquely equipped to add everyone to their grid-scope Experiences, so they could succeed here in ways that would be impossible (?) for any other landlord. And that might be a future Estate manager feature, if it proves useful.

I'm also interested in what they do on the detection end. They could run just one script per region that periodically does the llGetAgentList() and tracks the avatars around the region, watching for when they pass through the "secured" spaces that Linden Homes users register with their scripts. Or they could take the conventional (and I think* wasteful) approach of doing the avatar detection and tracking inside each user's script. I'm not sure, however, if we'll ever know which of those approaches they took (or something else entirely).

* It's "wasteful" it takes significant computing to get, process, and track agent lists individually for each secured space, compared to doing it for all the spaces at once and distributing the results for individual enforcement.

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

* It's "wasteful" it takes significant computing to get, process, and track agent lists individually for each secured space, compared to doing it for all the spaces at once and distributing the results for individual enforcement.

i like this.  If LL were to make this an integral part of the estate management toolset then it wouldn't need any LSL at all. 

/me points at Qie and shouts again at Somebody Linden :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.