Anyone rerolling?

Teager

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Reasonably -- even WITHOUT bots and breedables 351 land impact can include a LOT of heavy mesh. Remember that small items --- even when VERY HEAVY can be just 1 land impact. So put a bunch of those small items in with some VERY PRETTY but really not "game asset" furniture and you have LAAAAAAG.  

I was worried about that too -- mostly because I have some weird issue with my computer that I haven't been able to solve in well over a month and my fps rate has halved EVERYWHERE.  So where I would have had 40 fps I now have 20 which I can live with but if I look in some directions my fps is down to 9 or so. Some sims that I drove though were down to 5.

The Lab has assured us that they will be monitoring issues, but time will see how it plays out. Since the stated plan (Town Halls) is that there will be more continents eventually it is certainly in LL's best interest to make sure that Bellissearia not only looks good but runs well -- and that means down on the ground. If I wanted a skybox I have other places I can put it and get outstanding fps LOL.

I have a cool new free car (marketplace - search for Linden Home) and I am going to see if I can get it to work on Belliserria.  It works great on my building pad, but so does my scooter -- and my scouter only hits trees and fences near my home (sigh).  My BIKE works great though so I always have that. Peddle power. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

39 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I wonder if it's less lag in the south, with so much sand and less trees? Not that I complain. I can use the same low settings as I use for hunts and events.

It was very hard to turn on shadows now for a few pictures. I live in northwest.

On the BEACHFRONT is less laggy. I have 20fps plus (again issues of late and new driver didn't fix this morning when I tried) gazing JUST at my place or out into the vast ocean. The minute I get someone else's house (and STUFF) in my viewer, my FPS plummet.  One of the main reasons that I picked my place was the absence of neighbors (only 9 on my sim) and the empty vista.   I personally haven't found any GENERAL difference between sandy and grassy areas. There are some sims with plenty of mole trees that work well for me in those park-like sims.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I have a cool new free car (marketplace - search for Linden Home) and I am going to see if I can get it to work on Belliserria.  It works great on my building pad, but so does my scooter -- and my scouter only hits trees and fences near my home (sigh).  My BIKE works great though so I always have that. Peddle power. 

It is not as fun, but I have had a lot more luck using wearable vehicles as of late.  On the plus side, I can "rez" my vehicle anywhere :) I also use a speed booster to move along a little faster.

Snapshot_230.thumb.png.72af0ae4ba806de3bf476e0332f8337b.png

My avatar complexity is at 36k, as I am wearing one of my most simple outfits.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Reasonably -- even WITHOUT bots and breedables 351 land impact can include a LOT of heavy mesh. Remember that small items --- even when VERY HEAVY can be just 1 land impact. So put a bunch of those small items in with some VERY PRETTY but really not "game asset" furniture and you have LAAAAAAG.  

I was worried about that too -- mostly because I have some weird issue with my computer that I haven't been able to solve in well over a month and my fps rate has halved EVERYWHERE.  So where I would have had 40 fps I now have 20 which I can live with but if I look in some directions my fps is down to 9 or so. Some sims that I drove though were down to 5.

The Lab has assured us that they will be monitoring issues, but time will see how it plays out. Since the stated plan (Town Halls) is that there will be more continents eventually it is certainly in LL's best interest to make sure that Bellissearia not only looks good but runs well -- and that means down on the ground. If I wanted a skybox I have other places I can put it and get outstanding fps LOL.

Yup. Not only heavy mesh, but especially 1024 res textures. Each LI of those 351 can "hold" several of these. And they do take a large toll at rendering, download and generating lag.

What is even worse: Even though there are legitimate uses for such heavy (by SL standards, mind you) texture (an airplane fuselage, for instance, that needs a lot of details in it; or a painting, etc...), most of the mesh items I see could very well do with 512 res textures. A significant number could do with just 256 as well.

There is no reason to have a 1024 res plain white pastel wall, but people still do it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Marsellus Walcott
Spelling
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

All the scripted boats?

Somewhere from 15-20 boats, on average, per region, I think.  Add in the scripts people have in their furniture and their personal water vehicles.  Then all the textures to go with it all.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

I have noticed that my fps drops a lot when I sail through houseboat regions - houseboats being on both sides of my cruising path.
Possibly due to lots of stuff crammed side by side in small areas?

Likely due to the amount of stuff on screen at any given time. The easiest way to deal with this is to lower your draw distance(which is no fun in nice looking places). The more houses and people that are in an area, usually the worse it'll be.

Could also just be the weight of items or textures in general.

The lag I feel in Belli pales in comparison to the lag you find at some rental communities like Boca or The Vistas, though.

Edited by s2Pandora
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I'm curious, is there a way to test this? Since I'm guilty of clutter, I'd like to try and make sure what I have isn't bad, or could at least be improved. I can control my textures/meshes, but the gacha that I love so much worries me regarding weight etc. How do we test, and what's best to look for? 😳

1 hour ago, RaeLeeH said:

I'm curious, is there a way to test this? Since I'm guilty of clutter, I'd like to try and make sure what I have isn't bad, or could at least be improved. I can control my textures/meshes, but the gacha that I love so much worries me regarding weight etc. How do we test, and what's best to look for? 😳

If you use Firestorm (or want to install it) you can check  the number of vertices as well as the texture usage in the build menu. I wrote an article on it when the feature was added.  Let me find it (she says hopefully).

Here you go:

https://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2018/02/the-new-firestorm-building-and-shopping.html

There are some long threads here on the forums about all this but I am VERY BAD at finding any old posts here. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

If you use Firestorm (or want to install it) you can check  the number of vertices as well as the texture usage in the build menu. I wrote an article on it when the feature was added...

https://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2018/02/the-new-firestorm-building-and-shopping.html

I had no idea about this feature!  Thanks so much!

23 hours ago, xrockinfree said:

I really hope it doesn't become Mainland 2.0 -- that's one of the reasons I didn't initially jump to get a house. After seeing everyone's pictures and wandering around myself over the weekend though, I wish I'd grabbed one when I could! Now I'm just at the mercy of the refresh button/people abandoning (until the new places are released).

I don't think it will. I think residents who want a nice place to live will be quick to AR anything that doesn't conform to the Covenant.

Ordinary mainland doesn't even have a covenant.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

I don't think it will. I think residents who want a nice place to live will be quick to AR anything that doesn't conform to the Covenant.

This. And you can count me among those with an itchy AR "covenant rules" finger while in Bellissaria. Though when there's no covenant whatsoever, then anything goes. Even TOS rules-breaking. Until you get caught (which is rare, I suppose).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

This. And you can count me among those with an itchy AR "covenant rules" finger while in Bellissaria. Though when there's no covenant whatsoever, then anything goes. Even TOS rules-breaking. Until you get caught (which is rare, I suppose). 

While I have no issues with the covenant or with the theme, I hope that residents will not be over-zealous.  There is a strong sense of community among many, and that is good - I just hope it leaves a little room for those who remain in covenant and theme, but may not fully conform with the community ethos. 

When there starts to be complaints about whether someone has furnished their home or not, or if someone is only living in their skybox, or if there should be some other separate area for those who prefer <whatever> it seems less like an open community and more like an insulated us-against-them type mentality.   

I've pulled up stakes for the time being, and am going to wait to see what other themes may become available in the future, and to watch and see how the community aspect develops and maintains over time. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I hope that residents will not be over-zealous.

I agree with you. I'm referring to the weird things that will eventually show up, like the Millenium Falcon starship parked on someone's rooftop. Or disco-club lights in the back yard calling them "floodlights," etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

When there starts to be complaints about whether someone has furnished their home or not, or if someone is only living in their skybox, or if there should be some other separate area for those who prefer <whatever> it seems less like an open community and more like an insulated us-against-them type mentality.   

This! As long as residents are complying with the covenant, then judicious use of the de-render function should suffice if a neighbor's style is not to your taste. Trying to force others to one's own style is the opposite of "open, friendly community".

The fact that the moles have given us the option to paint our houses purple should prove we are allowed to show some personal flair. ;)

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

This! As long as residents are complying with the covenant, then judicious use of the de-render function should suffice if a neighbor's style is not to your taste. Trying to force others to one's own style is the opposite of "open, friendly community".

The fact that the moles have given us the option to paint our houses purple should prove we are allowed to show some personal flair. ;)

I've been out exploring the continent and I love seeing what people are doing with their homes. The bookshop/cafe is my favourite so far but I've also seen a Doctor Who themed one with a Tardis standing outside. 

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.