-Bellisserians Show Off Your Home and Garden-

Blush Bravin
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

(OMG _ READ?  LOL)

Yeah.... 😊

They are not that bad in LOD, if people stand 100 m away and cam to me, and they are broken apart, they can walk closer. 😈

Deleting my comments and photos so I don't get yelled at.  And that of course is a story also :D.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

6 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

RenderVolumeLODFactor is your friend. :)

Just in case your message there is advising for folks to turn UP their LOD setting to 4 (or better), I heartily disagree (really difficult to get your purpose with so few words).

There was a REASON that LODs were added to the upload process. Since I have changed from LOD4 to LOD2 (maybe two years now) my framerates have gone way up and my computer is running at a much lower temperature == hence happier computer and hopefully a long and fulfilling life.  It really IS important to understand what LODs are and why the exist. So maybe some research would be a good thing :D.  There are some very good and VERY long threads on this in the forums (maybe a couple of years back).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just in case your message there is advising for folks to turn UP their LOD setting to 4 (or better), I heartily disagree (really difficult to get your purpose with so few words).

There was a REASON that LODs were added to the upload process. Since I have changed from LOD4 to LOD2 (maybe two years now) my framerates have gone way up and my computer is running at a much lower temperature == hence happier computer and hopefully a long and fulfilling life.  It really IS important to understand what LODs are and why the exist. So maybe some research would be a good thing :D.  There are some very good and VERY long threads on this in the forums (maybe a couple of years back).  

Tl;dr: you can't upload someone else's sunflower. :) And there are other objects I bought, and still use, that totally fall apart from even a short distance. A lecture on why ppl should use better uploading techniques for mesh and such, that's all fine and dandy, but won't solve matters for ppl still using existing, older objects. If ppl really want to see the object that's otherwise 'falling apart', then they should use their own discretion to either up RenderVolumeLODFactor, or simply not use the object at all (or, in rare cases, where they have the willing ear of the creator, ask for a re-done version).

And that's the reason why the Firestorm team, for instance, discourages the general upping of RenderVolumeLODFactor, but still allows it. Eventually older objects will start to phase out, and a RenderVolumeLODFactor of 3 will suffice for most everyone in most every situation.

22 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

And that's the reason why the Firestorm team, for instance, discourages the general upping of RenderVolumeLODFactor, but still allows it. Eventually older objects will start to phase out, and a RenderVolumeLODFactor of 3 will suffice for most everyone in most every situation.

As someone who blogs for lots of brands and events I can say that your supposition has little merit. Many of the  NEW items coming out daily have the same LOD4 issues.  It is all about choices in uploading --- NOT about age. The uploader has NOT changed.

And it has nothing to do with upload date of products (I have items out there that are eight years old with good LODs). Many creators (even top brands) simply don't care as they sell to the LOD4 crowd -- and that's fine and dandy. 

But cranking up your LOD setting so that you can see things it is certainly not an optimal move -- and it definitely doesn't encourage creators to make some VERY EASY changes on their uploading process. 

You certainly have a right to do whatever you choose, but I am certainly not buying your arguments. Enough said. 

Edited by Chic Aeon

3 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

As someone who blogs for lots of brands and events I can say that your supposition has little merit. Many of the  NEW items coming out daily have the same LOD4 issues.  It is all about choices in uploading --- NOT about age. The uploader has NOT changed.

And it has nothing to do with AGE of products (I have items out there that are eight years old with good LODs). Many creators (event top brands) simply don't care as they sell to the LOD4 crowd -- and that's fine and dandy. 

But cranking up your LOD setting so that you can see things it is certainly not an optimal move -- and it definitely doesn't encourage creators to make some VERY EASY changes on their uploading process. 

You certainly have a right to do whatever you choose, but I am certainly not buying your arguments. Enough said. 

Sigh. Of course the AGE of products has everything to do with it: a few years back, ppl were simple less aware of LOD issues and/or too lazy to get it right. These days, creators kinda have to do it properly, as LL has been cracking down on LODs (and indirectly so, via TPV's).

And all your protestations despite, if you insist on wanting to see an (older) object with crappy LOD, you either increase RenderVolumeLODFactor, or you just don't get to see it. It's that simple. It's not higher math.

• Like 1

I leave my LOD set at 4, and I like it that way. It used to be a necessity because most older products did require it, and whether or not they do now, I still leave it set because frankly i can't be bothered to fiddle with that setting all the time.  

Isn't nice that there are no LOD Police and we can all do our settings as we please? ;) 

And because this is a photo thread...

Snapshot_001.png

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I leave my LOD set at 4, and I like it that way. It used to be a necessity because most older products did require it, and whether or not they do now, I still leave it set because frankly i can't be bothered to fiddle with that setting all the time.  

Isn't nice that there are no LOD Police and we can all do our settings as we please? ;) 

Snapshot_001.png

I wish you could do a "Thank you!" button AND a "Like", cuz thank you for saying what you said, and I really like that photo. What an adorable (wind)light! That scene gives me the chills. ❤️

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I wish you could do a "Thank you!" button AND a "Like", cuz thank you for saying what you said, and I really like that photo. What an adorable (wind)light! That scene gives me the chills. ❤️

P.S. This is the windlight I'm using for my Windlass recreation project (on my own sim). It has no full outer shell yet, LOL, so pardon the absence of proper windows, but, as you can see, it's not really that dark (and it's the same one I use at Bellisseria):

kira_4.thumb.jpg.d43bb70b537c7f3a5e705904d0617209.jpg

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Snapshot_001.png

Gorgeous photo! Love the light and the color of the water!

I leave my LOD set to 3 but I do reduce it to 2 when testing my mesh to be sure it renders well at 2. I don't really have an issue running at 4 but find that at 3 nearly everything loads well these days. What boggles my mind is when I see a notecard included with an object that recommends setting the LOD to above 4 .. I've seen as high as 8 recommended. Now I wouldn't ever buy anything from anyone with that kind of recommendation. I've seen this in some of the gifts that I've occasionally picked up at an event. Needless to say I didn't keep the object nor would I take the time to even check out a store that makes content that needs LOD set so high to look good.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

Gorgeous photo! Love the sun and the color of the water!

I leave my LOD set to 3 but I do reduce it to 2 when testing my mesh to be sure it renders well at 2. I don't really have an issue running at 4 but find that at 3 nearly everything loads well these days. What boggles my mind is when I see a notecard included with an object that recommends setting the LOD to above 4 .. I've seen as high as 8 recommended. Now I wouldn't ever buy anything from anyone with that kind of recommendation. I've seen this in some of the gifts that I've occasionally picked up at an event. Needless to say I didn't keep the object nor would I take the time to even check out a store that makes content that needs LOD set so high to look good.

Yeah. On my entire sim, I have maybe like 2-3 objects in my homes that start to deform rapidly when I pull away too far (sculpted objects tend to be worse for me). Like I said, I suspect these type of badly made objects will start to phase out ere long (I only hang on to them for sentimental reasons). Modern content creators are simply much more aware -- if only because they realize ppl like you will start to shun their shops. 😁

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

30 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Gorgeous photo! Love the light and the color of the water!

Thank you! The windlight in that photo is Annan Adored-Morning Dream with default water.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Snapshot_001.png

I love that sofa to the right. Or is it a chair with a pouf? Anyway, I wonder where it's from.

Speaking of LOD, I usually have it at 2.75 for the lower settings, and 3.75 for the higher, like photos. I get a Firestorm warning if I try as high as 8 LOD  - so I think Firestorm had to put in that warning. 8 LOD sounds really over the top.

Have you seen these free normal water maps from Trompe Loeil? I got them eleven days ago, but I have not tried them, for various reasons. I am sure it will be great water settings for photography with them.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Trompe-Loeil-Water-Normal-Maps-Set-of-10-2014/6079335

Trompe_Loeil_-_Water_Normal_Maps_2014.jp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I love that sofa to the right. Or is it a chair with a pouf? Anyway, I wonder where it's from.

Speaking of LOD, I usually have it at 2.75 for the lower settings, and 3.75 for the higher, like photos. I get a Firestorm warning if I try as high as 8 LOD  - so I think Firestorm had to put in that warning. 8 LOD sounds really over the top.

Have you seen these free normal water maps from Trompe Loeil? I got them eleven days ago, but I have not tried them, for various reasons. I am sure it will be great water settings for photography with them.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Trompe-Loeil-Water-Normal-Maps-Set-of-10-2014/6079335

The loveseat is from hive, and I think it is just called "loveseat". I love that store. :)

I just clicked on the MP link and it says I bought those water maps (for free) in 2014. I have never tried them and forgot I had them! (This is how I wind up with duplicate purchases lol)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I just clicked on the MP link and it says I bought those water maps (for free) in 2014. I have never tried them and forgot I had them! (This is how I wind up with duplicate purchases lol)

Which is why I absolutely love the feature that now tells you that you did previously buy something.  I can't even count how many times over the years I bought the same item multiple times.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Which is why I absolutely love the feature that now tells you that you did previously buy something.  I can't even count how many times over the years I bought the same item multiple times.

Same! That feature is so helpful! Now if I could get a similar warning while shopping in world...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

LOL. I thought I simply hadn't noticed it before. 😜 But yeah, definitely a very useful addition.

12 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

LOL. I thought I simply hadn't noticed it before. 😜 But yeah, definitely a very useful addition.

I like to think that it was my Feature Request that got us that nice addition, since it showed up not too long after I put in the request.  :$

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-225855?filter=-2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2019 at 1:30 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I like to think that it was my Feature Request that got us that nice addition, since it showed up not too long after I put in the request.  :$

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-225855?filter=-2

Kudos to you for the Jira! :) And thanks for, indirectly, mentioning a searchable purchase history too: a much needed feature still.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.