Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Blush Bravin

Do we need a dedicated Home and Garden Photos Thread?

Recommended Posts

I know we have the thread started by Patch for Linden Home photos but I've been thinking that might be more geared toward the photos people share of their explorations. I'm beginning to feel as though I'm cluttering that thread up with home and garden pics. So I have been thinking that it might be better to have one thread for explorations and one specifically for home and garden. I know there's another thread for garden tips and finds but that's not exactly a home and garden thread either. So what do you all think? I don't want to start another thread if it's just going to be clutter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I do not think so. The Linden Homes Photo thread could be for presenting our HOMES (inside and garden)

while I opened a thread for tours HERE

 

Plus there is another one HERE

 

Edited by Leora Jacobus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I do not think so. The Linden Homes Photo thread could be for presenting our HOMES (inside and garden)

while I opened a thread for tours HERE

 

Plus there is another one HERE

 

Okay. Point well taken. :) 

I just wanted to make sure we weren't circumventing Patch's intention for that thread. So, I won't second guess myself when posting home and garden shots there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As many duplicate threads as we have about "why didn't I get a home?", I sure wouldn't worry about starting another photo thread.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well I would prefer it to be the other way round:

That some mod melt all these "why didn't I get a home?"- threads into one! ;)

The quality of a Forum IMHO grows not witth the NUMBER of threads but with them being well arranged and distinguishible.

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Okay. Point well taken. :) 

I just wanted to make sure we weren't circumventing Patch's intention for that thread. So, I won't second guess myself when posting home and garden shots there.

Well we could just ask @Patch Linden what he thinks of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Well I would prefer it to be the other way round:

That some mod melt all the why didn't I get a home?",- threads into one! ;)

The quality of a Forum IMHO grows not witth the NUMBER of threads but with them being well arranged and distinguishible.

I second that! One big "post your gripes here" thread to lump them all together would be good.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am perfectly happy to be "merged" but honestly if you counted how many "can't get into my mesh house doorway" threads along with all the "didn't get my new Linden house"  and "NO houseboats" threads, it would keep the mods from doing much else LOL.   The forums are what they are.  At least we don't seem to be seeing "I am an orange cloud" threads as often *wink*.  

Personally I thought the "official" Linden Homes thread was to be something like "How does your avatar look today" thread with a gazillion pages where we showed off what we had been doing. It will likely morph over time.  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the Linden Homes Photo thread as the thread for us to show off what we've done with our Linden Homes (so basically a Linden home and garden thread similar to the Home and Garden thread we have in General Discussions for non-Linden homes).   I like seeing what people are doing, and what they have built special for the homes, but I don't like the ones which seem more like an ad (pictures of the same item in all the different colors or patterns it comes in).  If you built something, showing how you're using it yourself in your own home and mentioning (discretely) that it's also for sale in your MP is fine as long as it's not the main thrust of the post.

I do like the separate threads for sight-seeing around the new continent.  

In regards to getting all the "I didn't get..." posts into one thread, part of the issue is that I think many people come into the forum and just start a new post instead of looking at ones that are already there to see if (a) the info they are looking for is already there, or (b) adding their post onto an existing thread on the same topic.  On the other hand, the culture in this forum tends to frown on someone coming in and posting on a thread that has been dormant for months (or years), so like lots of things, it can be a fine line and requires some discernment. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

 I like seeing what people are doing, and what they have built special for the homes, but I don't like the ones which seem more like an ad (pictures of the same item in all the different colors or patterns it comes in).  If you built something, showing how you're using it yourself in your own home and mentioning (discretely) that it's also for sale in your MP is fine as long as it's not the main thrust of the post.

Totally agree with this, and I imagine there is a rule somewhere addressing advertising in forum posts.

 

ETA: Yep, there is. "Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion. No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service."

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The reason I even questioned this is looking at the pic that Patch shared in the original post:

It's not a pic of his home but of a place he's visiting. So when I see the title Linden Homes .. I'm thinking Linden Homes as the whole thing - one huge continent and not specifically about our individual homes. Since we are looking at community being a big deal here in the new Linden homes area I'm thinking a photo spread of community events and sharing pic of neat things that we see or capturing the spirit of our new continent is in order. 

We will quickly fill it up with pages and pages of our own individual homes otherwise.

So here's an example of what I mean. This morning I was noticing how great the morning sun is here in Bell---- I haven't learned the spelling yet and am too lazy to look it up .. but so here's a pic that I was thinking would fit in Patch's thread.

sunrise_001.thumb.png.c4f2fbfdbf80438e9d5b882945c0d7b3.png

While the corner of my house is visible in this picture it's not the subject of the photo. But the one below is about my home. The subject is a personal space.

sunrise_002.thumb.png.390e4bf7ba9be2e16422113b78e0aebc.png

Anyway, I'm totally cool with whatever the community decides. I just didn't want to muddy the waters, so to speak, in Patch's thread.

 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

It's not a pic of his home but of a place he's visiting. So when I see the title Linden Homes .. I'm thinking Linden Homes as the whole thing - one huge continent and not specifically about our individual homes. Since we are looking at community being a big deal here in the new Linden homes area I'm thinking a photo spread of community events and sharing pic of neat things that we see or capturing the spirit of our new continent is in order. 

Ah.... I hadn't thought about it from that aspect.  I can see why you were thinking as you were then. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll take 5 photo threads over 20 "hey why can't I get a new Linden home?" threads.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Totally agree with this, and I imagine there is a rule somewhere addressing advertising in forum posts.

 

ETA: Yep, there is. "Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion. No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service."

Honestly I think any mention of "look this comes in eight colors and you can get them on the marketplace" is beyond the scope of that (or any) thread. People have asked for a forum section to advertise and that has never happened. I am glad. 

Sometimes those of us that build show things that can be purchased, sometimes not. Sometimes we plug OTHER creators (and I often name them so folks can find things). I think we should leave the "advertising" to the marketplace and blogs and Flickr.    I don't want to see vendor photos showing up and glad they will not be. 

I actually reported a post today that was WAY beyond the rules and hope it disappeared. Likely the person never READ the rules (so what else is new).

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...