Bad idea to buy land for home in General region?

Caerolle Llewellyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I signed up for Premium to get a houseboat. For various reasons, I have decided to try to buy a little piece of land instead. I found a little piece in a waterway that I love, but it is in a General region. I worry that will be too limiting, I have always lived in Moderate regions and never had to worry about anything. Is buying in a General region a bad idea? I don't have sex in my house or have parties or anything, but I do change clothes a lot, and try on new outfits. I can do that indoors, not sure if that is an issue (I think no nudity is allowed?). I have considered putting a skybox above the property and just having a beach down on the ground, so I could change and stuff up in the air.

Thoughts?

Thanks! :)

7 hours ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

I don't have sex in my house or have parties or anything, but I do change clothes a lot, and try on new outfits. I can do that indoors, not sure if that is an issue (I think no nudity is allowed?).

That's not a problem, go for it!

8 hours ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

I have considered putting a skybox above the property and just having a beach down on the ground, so I could change and stuff up in the air.

Even though you can change indoors on the ground, having a skybox as a changing room and a home location may be a good idea, too, especially if you can bring yourself to keep it minimally furnished so there's not much to rez up there. You can maybe set up a one-way sit teleporter to make it one-touch (or even a walk-through portal using an Experience) to get to ground, because you can always Control-Shift-H to get yourself back up to the skybox and nobody else needs to follow you without a direct invitation to teleport.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2019 at 4:48 AM, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

So, I signed up for Premium to get a houseboat. For various reasons, I have decided to try to buy a little piece of land instead. I found a little piece in a waterway that I love, but it is in a General region. I worry that will be too limiting, I have always lived in Moderate regions and never had to worry about anything. Is buying in a General region a bad idea? I don't have sex in my house or have parties or anything, but I do change clothes a lot, and try on new outfits. I can do that indoors, not sure if that is an issue (I think no nudity is allowed?). I have considered putting a skybox above the property and just having a beach down on the ground, so I could change and stuff up in the air.

Thoughts?

Thanks! :)

As long as you have your land settings such that avatars outside the parcel cannot see those on the inside, it's fine.  Using a skybox is fine too. 

The main drawback with General rated land will be when (if) you try to sell it; the demand for G land is far less than Moderate or Adult, so you may struggle with that.

On General rated lands some Adult Personal objects are scripted as to Not Allow rezzing, at all, or automatically be hidden from view (even from yourself). Btw that G rating extends all way up to max height... 4000m or so.

That's one major difference between G and M rated parcels. If you don't use/need adult items.. it makes no difference.  (Some of us guys prefer to have ability to appear normal, rather than as Ken's brother!).   😁

Edited by TechDave
  • Haha 1

Thanks, Matty! :)

I didn't realize you could set land so people couldn't see in, I will look into that. My house down on the ground has a ton of windows, but I am thinking of getting blinds in the room where I would be changing, I would think that should suffice? Also, I can just go up to my house in the sky (3200m) to change. Although there are a lot of other platforms up there, currently none are at the exact level I am, and most are over 100m away.

I only paid 5000L for the land, which is like three months rent where I was, so even if I eventually abandon it, no biggie, lol. There is a large plot of abandoned land right in front of my plot, which is out in the water, and I am afraid someone will buy that and flip it, then my plot is pretty much useless to me (I wanted a place to watch the waves roll in at night, with the moonlight on the crests). But again, as long as it doesn't happen for at least three months, I am still ahead, lol. :)

Hi TechDave!

Lol, when you said Adult Personal Items, I was thinking like sex beds or balls. Then at the end I realized you mean *really* personal, lol. I don't have any of that stuff, so should be fine from that perspective (I have a mesh body and am happy with the 'personal' part I already have, lol). That would be pretty disconcerting for a guy, though, to be Lorena Bobbitted when he landed on his own land (if you get the reference, lol).

Thanks for the advice! :)

Edited by Caerolle Llewellyn
add name of person I am responding to

the irony of adult vs gen is that I have been to lots of busy G sims and see lots and lots of naked people... b/c lag undresses them.  It happens less to me now my computer is one with a dedicated graphics card, but I was amazed at the amount of nudity in SL until I understood why...  I perma alpha certain regions of my body, even with my body matched clothing to avoid that nudity in the eyes of others.  Doesn't work when I'm wearing appliers... then I just get nakeded... but appliers tend to show up faster, at least in my viewer.

The only unfortunate thing about setting your land so no one can see in and you cannot see any one out, is that chance meetings of your neighbors becomes less likely and those can be fun.

I would probably enjoy the new land since you already have it, keep your 'no see ums' settings turned on -- and when the opportunity arises, move to a moderate or adult location just to keep things simple.

I don't know what the rules are about abandoned land, but all the abandoned land near me has remained unoccupied (which makes me happy).  I imagine at some point it will be up for sale again, particularly if it is a rational size, but it seems to take a while for linden to get around to making it available.  If you are lucky, it will take them a good long while :)

Joy, I do find it pretty creepy to land in clubs and everyone is naked and waving their clothes in the air. I think that is a mesh thing, I don't recall that from the prim days. The disembodied heads are even worse...

I don't plan on setting my land so people can't see in at this point. I spend quite a bit of time placing curtains over the many bedroom windows yesterday, I will just close those when I change. I don't think General will cause any limitations based on how I have lived the last few years. The main reason I would move would be because people plopped ugly stuff in my view.

Speaking of which, I have just lived there less than a week, and have spent literally dozens of hours at this point looking at and buying houses and furniture, and tonight I logged on and had a whole row of houses along one side all the way to the coast. So I just spent some time derendering all the parts and pieces, which was a lot of them. Not sure how many items the blacklist will hold, but hopefully a lot, lol.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.