Recommended tutorials and/or videos for creating objects?

xomollykatxo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1824 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there! So, just as the title says I'm looking for tutorials and/or videos on how to create objects. I have very basic Blender skills (like, the most basic of the basic) but after making the initial objects (all deco atm) I have no idea where to go from there (because what is UV mapping and how do texturing?). I did, like, one object when I played The Sims 3 but I don't think it's the same process for Second Life. Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

PS. I've only been using Second Life for 3 days so I'm still completely new to everything except the basics of walking and playing the Reel Wind slot machine thing lol I also posted this to Reddit so if you see it there, it's not a stolen post!

Before you even think about creating mesh objects for SL, you should spend a little time learning how SL's native functions for creating and manipulating objects work.  When you upload a model, you will need to use those functions to mess with it in world, and to retexture it or link it to other objects.  Good models in SL take advantage of yiour modelling skills in Blender (or whatever) and your facility with the basics here.  See here (and with other articles in the Knowledge Base) for a start, or take a free course at Builders Brewery or other excellent places in world.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Before you even think about creating mesh objects for SL, you should spend a little time learning how SL's native functions for creating and manipulating objects work.  When you upload a model, you will need to use those functions to mess with it in world, and to retexture it or link it to other objects.  Good models in SL take advantage of yiour modelling skills in Blender (or whatever) and your facility with the basics here.  See here (and with other articles in the Knowledge Base) for a start, or take a free course at Builders Brewery or other excellent places in world.

Thanks for the recommendations! I joined the Builders Brewery and am slowly making my way through the tutorial you linked. The only question that comes to mind right now is: Can you just start building things anywhere building is allowed? I don't have any land or real estate (I think I have L$35 to my name lol) and I'm not sure where to build in the Builders Brewery Sandbox.

Yes, as long at the parcel where you are proposing to work is not specifically marked to prohibit rezzing objects, you may build there.  Generally, that means (1) land that you own (2) land owned by a group you belong to and which has given you permission to rez things there (3) sandboxes -- public or private areas marked as building areas.  You can use your Search function to look for "sandbox".  I suggest choosing one that is not one of the more popular ones near the top of the list.  If you are a Premium member, search for "Premium sandbox" to avoid griefers.  Ask in Builders Brewery (or just wander around and look for signs).

• Thanks 1

For blender - start from navigation touts for blender 2.80 (cuz it will replace 2.79 soon and its tottaly diffrent) then ALOT modeling touts (aslo pls remember many of them are about making models for visualisations and render only, most of them wont work correct or at least wont be optimized for any game) then learn about UV Unwarping, Materials, baking and texturing. Everything is at youtube. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1824 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.