Are there problems with Parcel & Region Permissions?

BobbieEarhart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1830 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I ask this question because of two instances that I have seen, one at home on my houseboat in Hibiki and one happening on Protected Land in the adjoining Double sim. Yesterday, while at home with a friend, we both noticed my neighbours cuddle rug start talking in Chat. She was setting it up so it became a little irritating. I have "Restrict gesture & object sounds to this parcel." ticked in About Land. I IM'd my neighbour and and asked if she, too, had this ticked. She replied that yes it was ticked and we were both left puzzled. Now, oddly, I continued to see object chat until she decided the ugly rug (her words) was removed by her friend but my friend stop seeing it her chat. Now, the other oddity is happening now in the Double region. The channel across Double is Protected Land, no build, and Object Return is set for 1 minute. Yet all morning there has been an empty motor boat sitting in the Protected Channel and it hasn't been returned. Clearly, someone abandoned the boat but why is it still there?

"Restrict gesture & object sounds to this parcel." won't stop local chat from scripts between parcels.

The parcel probably still thinks the abandoned boat is sat on so hasn't returned it. This can happen if the vehicle driver gets disconnected on the region crossing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BobbieEarhart said:

Yet all morning there has been an empty motor boat sitting in the Protected Channel and it hasn't been returned. Clearly, someone abandoned the boat but why is it still there?

Try right clicking the boat to see who the creator is? I saw a couple vehicles the other night like this. Each instance, when I R clicked to see who the owner was, the item poofed at that moment. Could be a laggy/glitchy sim?

• Like 1

Thanks Whirly, I hadn't realised that. Zoya, the boat is definitely there. I have actually boarded it so it's not a phantom. Oh this is fun. It's an Animats (Joe Magarac) boat and I can interact with the menu to change colour but I can't drive it.

Edited by BobbieEarhart
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobbieEarhart said:

Thanks Whirly, I hadn't realised that. Zoya, the boat is definitely there. I have actually boarded it so it's not a phantom. Oh this is fun. It's an Animats (Joe Magarac) boat and I can interact with the menu to change colour but I can't drive it.

Well shoot :( I was hoping it was just a phantom so you could poof it.

5 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Yay we can blame @animats :D

Yes. That was a region crossing failure. I was force logged out. Apparently the boat stayed behind and wasn't deleted. 1 minute autoreturn there; it should have been.

That boat "phones home" once a day, and I received a message from it this morning. So I went to the area and swam to it, got on board, restarted it, and drove it home. Worked fine.

It looks like the latest round of server fixes forces a logout on some region crossing failures that used to leave avatars in midair. This is progress. It means LL is detecting the failure automatically. This both means they can collect info about failures, and it raises the visibility of failure. The odds of this getting fixed have thus improved.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1830 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.