What Happened to the Moon?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1828 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I seem to remember that recently SL was having some kind of issue with the Windlight settings or something along those lines? Am I remembering this right? 

All I know is in the past couple of weeks I seem to be having trouble with various lighting which is messing with taking photographs. I've found ways around it but tonight it's causing a real problem because I can not seem to get the moon to show up at all, and I absolutely need it in the photo I'm shooting as I'm recreating a famous painting and it's a key element of the image. I've tried every possible light setting and nothing works.

The only thing I haven't done yet is log into the official viewer because I'm all set up for the shot in Firestorm and the official one had to be upgraded (I never really use it) which means I'd have to log out of FS to do that. The thought of logging off and on again and recomposing my shot isn't very appealing - especially since I already got screwed up when some jerk in a dog avatar literally ran across my naked body (on my own huge piece of land where like, nobody ever visits for no reason) and insisted on it being his right to oogle me (and then I insisted it was my right to eject him). 

Ok, anyway...what gives? Moon please? Or am I just tired and missing something obvious?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

I seem to remember that recently SL was having some kind of issue with the Windlight settings or something along those lines? Am I remembering this right? 

All I know is in the past couple of weeks I seem to be having trouble with various lighting which is messing with taking photographs. I've found ways around it but tonight it's causing a real problem because I can not seem to get the moon to show up at all, and I absolutely need it in the photo I'm shooting as I'm recreating a famous painting and it's a key element of the image. I've tried every possible light setting and nothing works.

The only thing I haven't done yet is log into the official viewer because I'm all set up for the shot in Firestorm and the official one had to be upgraded (I never really use it) which means I'd have to log out of FS to do that. The thought of logging off and on again and recomposing my shot isn't very appealing - especially since I already got screwed up when some jerk in a dog avatar literally ran across my naked body (on my own huge piece of land where like, nobody ever visits for no reason) and insisted on it being his right to oogle me (and then I insisted it was my right to eject him). 

Ok, anyway...what gives? Moon please? Or am I just tired and missing something obvious?

Are you using Firestorm viewer? Did you ask in Firestorm group what gives with the moon lately?

You sound a bit tired tbh, and things are stacked against you (the jerk in the dog suit for one thing). Read the signs, log off, have some sleep, come back in the morning. You'll maybe sort the moon issue out and recomposing will not be such a big task after sleep and rest. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, eyeye Afterthought said:

Are you using Firestorm viewer? Did you ask in Firestorm group what gives with the moon lately?

You sound a bit tired tbh, and things are stacked against you (the jerk in the dog suit for one thing). Read the signs, log off, have some sleep, come back in the morning. You'll maybe sort the moon issue out and recomposing will not be such a big task after sleep and rest. 

Yes, Firestorm. 

Good idea, yes, it's been a long day! I can pick it up tomorrow when I get home from work. Not the end of the world by a long shot lol.

Thanks for the perspective, much appreciated 

20 hours ago, Elora Lunasea said:

We need a "hugs" reaction for posts, and we need to be able to combine it with laughter reaction.

Anyway, hugs. And lol, re. dog avatar.  (Hint: if he didn't try to sniff your behind before running across your naked body, he wasn't a real dog.)

Anyway, I may be telling you stuff you already know, but the moon, and the sun, and the stars have been screwed up in SL because of the roll out of the Environment Enhancement Project (EEP), which will do marvelous things to your ability to customize the sky and celestial objects, adjust lighting, and feed your pets. Except that none of the main viewers support it yet. That's why the stars now appear like dead black tennis balls in the night sky under most Windlight settings. There is a beta EEP viewer available, but I have no idea where to get it. I also have no idea when a fully EEP-capable version of Firestorm will become available (when I asked in the FS support group in-world, I got a cryptic shrug and a "That's LL for you!").

For the moment, I just try to avoid having too much of the night sky in my pics.

Maybe someone who knows more will come along and enlighten both of us!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

We need a "hugs" reaction for posts, and we need to be able to combine it with laughter reaction.

Anyway, hugs. And lol, re. dog avatar.  (Hint: if he didn't try to sniff your behind before running across your naked body, he wasn't a real dog.)

Anyway, I may be telling you stuff you already know, but the moon, and the sun, and the stars have been screwed up in SL because of the roll out of the Environment Enhancement Project (EEP), which will do marvelous things to your ability to customize the sky and celestial objects, adjust lighting, and feed your pets. Except that none of the main viewers support it yet. That's why the stars now appear like dead black tennis balls in the night sky under most Windlight settings. There is a beta EEP viewer available, but I have no idea where to get it. I also have no idea when a fully EEP-capable version of Firestorm will become available (when I asked in the FS support group in-world, I got a cryptic shrug and a "That's LL for you!").

For the moment, I just try to avoid having too much of the night sky in my pics.

Here is where to get the beta EEP viewers... ((and just about everything else beta viewers(as separate downloads/programs)))... http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers .   WARNING: afaik, the only beta EEP viewer is the LL default viewer, with a little extra ((EEP functionality)) added on.  Almost nothing in this universe...

Well, I will avoid commenting on how I feel when running the LL default viewer... and just say that you need to basically run a version of that if you want to run an EEP beta.  Most FS users I know refuse to do this.  I, however, have.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

YES!

Ok, I knew this and could not formulate this clearly at all last night. Ghosty told me about it but I was exhausted - I truly had been working on this photo for hours and the final part of it was getting the moon in place and then KAPUT. NADA. I already knew about the black blobs and figured out how to deal with that but the moon? This is a particularly difficult situation, I tried buying a prim moon but...didn't realize it would position itself off sim at the angle of the damn real moon so it didn't show up in the shot lol. UGH.

Anyway tonight, I'm managing to get some Windlight to show it up *barely* so I'm just going to plug along until I find one I like enough and just use it. I mean, I'll never totally be able to recreate the image - it is more of a homage to the original so regardless - it's going to be my own version.

Onward!

Oh and the dog? So obnoxious. At one point I told him he was a bad dog and to leave, so he went UNDER the water to watch me instead. So, I said "I can see you under there!" and he said "Hey, I'm a dog what do you expect?" And I'm like "Dude, I'm NOT here role playing you as a dog, leave my f---king property". EJECTED

Edited by Elora Lunasea
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1828 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.