Oh, the banality

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

Yes, if a house doesn't rez for some reason it is a glitch or a bug. If you can't get a house to rez let us know and we will fix it for you. It usually just needs the rezzer or mailbox controller reset (or the region restarted). I don't recommend just putting your own house there instead. If you choose not rez a house, one will be rezzed for you. ;)

And if anyone happens to stumble on a way to force the house not to rez I highly recommend keeping that information to yourself and tell us how you did it instead. 

Some folks (you probably saw this) were so very clever as they camped and waited for their house to reappear.  This person appears to have "decorated around" where the house would eventually appear. It really made me smile. 

Also a few people reported here that they had been waiting four or five days after sending in a ticket so you can see how they might get a little "antsy" :D.   Hopefully most folks have their spots now.  Thanks for all the great work!!!!

trailer.thumb.jpg.f1145f5cefafeb2f0f1571296cd1f6b8.jpg

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Some folks (you probably saw this) were so very clever as they camped and waited for their house to reappear.  This person appears to have "decorated around" where the house would eventually appear. It really made me smile. 

Also a few people reported here that they had been waiting four or five days after sending in a ticket so you can see how they might get a little "antsy" :D.   Hopefully most folks have their spots now.  Thanks for all the great work!!!!

Whimsy Winx is nothing if not prepared for all decorating challenges, she did a great job, she probably would have been fine if they never fixed it, but they have and now she is five redos in already at least count I think.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Moles
57 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Yes, we did see that. We all ooo'd and ahhh'd over it too. We all thought it was very cute. :)  There was a hovertext object saying it wasn't a park and they'd made a ticket and were waiting for it to be fixed, and we did.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

Whimsy Winx is nothing if not prepared for all decorating challenges, she did a great job, she probably would have been fine if they never fixed it, but they have and now she is five redos in already at least count I think.

:D.

I didn't even look to see who was so creative!   LOL. Thanks for letting me know.  Lots of oldtimer's over here (and more wanting to come). Fun. Thanks.

• Like 2

i ran and jumped my way all around the edge of the main continent today. On the east side I went up the river bank as the over the river is not completed yet

altogether it's pretty good visually. I quite like that there are little differences on each region. Nice touch that. I never crashed once on any region crossing so that was good as well

chatted to a person with a name I have seen on this forum. They scored a great location and pretty happy that they did. So that was good.  Saw a girl riding her pushbike. Another girl puttering along on her scooter. And bumped  into a man standing on a footpath scratching his head while looking at his empty house wondering what ever he was going to furnish it with

saw another man with 2 houses. Well more a Linden house and a garden shed. He said he is going to live in his shed. He said he would live in his RL shed if he could but his wife is not happy about that. So SL lets him live the dream as he put it :)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

Yes, we did see that. We all ooo'd and ahhh'd over it too. We all thought it was very cute. :)  There was a hovertext object saying it wasn't a park and they'd made a ticket and were waiting for it to be fixed, and we did.

To me, brought back memories of when my parents were building their house many years ago and we were camping on the land in a motor home (camper) that spring and summer while the house was being built. By far my favorite of the different ways people chose to deal with the mailbox glitch. If it happens to me I feel I am going to do similar even tho I have houses in my inventory lol for the nostalgia :)

• Like 5

On 4/21/2019 at 2:16 PM, animats said:

Yet what people want to live in is boring suburbia. Yes, there are people who live in Crack Den or Cocoon, but not many.

People vote with their wallets. I don't want a house in Crack Den. I already used to live on the street where Chris Cornell offed himself. Trust me, wasn't a nice street.

The way people are decorating their houses is actually fun. You could complain about "little boxes", or just try to celebrate the spirit of the effort?

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 4/21/2019 at 10:14 PM, animats said:

Yes. Celebration, FL.

O5766878_1_1551393193.jpg

The Walt Disney Company's vision of America.

On 4/21/2019 at 2:16 PM, animats said:
The futuristic concept of Horizons was interesting, but it didn't really work out. Zindra is mostly wannabe land flippers. New Babbage has a dedicated but small population. But build a huge planned unit development and people flock.

Ok eagle eye time for a test.   Where did Horizons derive it's name from?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Patch Linden said:

Ok eagle eye time for a test.   Where did Horizons derive it's name from?

Yes, I know about the Disney ride.

Visions of the future are not going well. The most accurate vision was probably GM's Futurerama from the 1939 World's Fair. Freeways, tall buildings, and suburbia. All that happened. GM tried again at the 1964 World's Fair, with space cities, moon colonies, and underwater cities. That didn't happen. The Horizons ride was pretty much the same as the 1964 World's fair.

Modern visions of the future are mostly dystopian. The "Blade Runner" future, if you will. (From the 1982 movie, not the remake.) We have those in SL. Cocoon and Hangars Liquides are probably the best ones. People do live there. Cocoon has about 20 long-term rentals, all rented. Hangars Liquides has a few, mostly not rented.

SL does not, as far as I know, have a successful happy future. That no one can conceive of one is a commentary on something.

hangarsliquides.thumb.jpg.366fff393c989bf1f26c07e7fff6f4cf.jpg

Hangars Liquides. 5 sims of well built dystopia. Old and seldom visited.

coccoon.thumb.jpg.588b8aa2d4ff23beefeb51c94d0f6143.jpg

Cocoon. A Japanese cyberpunk sim. Active, complicated, and well built. Snarky animesh NPCs, even.

Edited by animats
Add pictures
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Animats,

Out of 44 rentals on some of HL city sims, 33 are currently rented, some since many years, and the unoccupied ones because I just added 8 extra rentals last week in HL east / China sim.

I love to visit futuristic cities on SL and last time my friend TPed me to see Cocoon, when I arrived there it was only to discover plenty of HL's exclusive newer content I made from scratch was copyboted, mesh, textures, even the Sound Design that was made entirely by Hangars Liquides too..

No worries though, Im used to this by now, and it is not your fault. Thank you for appreciating Hangars Liquides :)

Djehan

Edited by Djehan Kidd
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 7:16 PM, animats said:
That used to annoy Philip Rosedale. You can build anything in Second Life. Yet what people want to live in is boring suburbia....I'm holding out for some new house designs. I liked some of the ones from the old Linden homes; they were just packed in too tightly. I have a beach lot; it needs an A-frame, not a pseudo Cape Cod.

I kinda agree with the thought that there could be more creative homes in SL. I was a bit surprised when I saw the traditional homes at the preview. They seemed so 'normal', samey, and everyday. I expected something more in the way of creativity. When LL could be as creative in SL as they want I was wondering why they would mimick RL so much.

Having said that however, I realised two things:

1. They might just be just replacing the first gen houses with similar themes i.e.  have a modern set, a fantasy set, a non-US culture set, and I guess a woodsy set (Tahoe??). So the new traditional and houseboat styles are replacing the first gen modern set. Working on that idea, we could expect a new theme of fantasy home and maybe some new Asian theme and a mountain/woodland theme (the latter seems to be in the works judging by the SSP map - you can see what looks like some kind of home in the more mountainous areas, and on the SL16 map).

If they do that I kind of understand but will be very disappointed if they do, because of the creative freedom they have to implement something different, and if they don't it seems kinda lazy in some ways, and for me the creativity possible in SL is a big attraction. I didn't like any of the first gen themes apart from a couple of the Meadowbrook - not because I was necessarily looking for a modern style home, but because I like the roominess of them, and large windows (love a lot of windows!), and spaciousness outside (homes weren't cramped together where I was) so I eventually fell in love with it.  I'm not really liking the new traditional houses because they are not like that.

2. Not everyone necessarily wants something that's different to RL (hell, look at all the clothing...there are very few designers doing something different or unique, just like in RL!) - people seem to want to replicate RL in SL, because perhaps they want to do the things they would like to do in RL in SL, rather than have a very different experience to RL. So a style of home that we wouldn't see in RL, whatever that might look like, whether it's space themed, futuristic, abstract, surreal or something else original, is probably not something that's wanted by the majority of LL home owners. (But then also, if they haven't experienced it in RL it's an opportunity to in SL!)

I'll try and hold out on my expectation of the forthcoming home themes to be very familiar styles to RL. I hope they won't and I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I kinda doubt it...

On 4/22/2019 at 8:45 AM, RaeLeeH said:

Organise what amongst neighbours? Ask someone, for example, to tear down the full bright purple tree they spent hours trying to look just right for them because it doesn't "fit" the suburban theme? Who decides exactly what fits and what doesn't (beyond Linden Labs of course)? People do have purple trees in real life but they may not translate too well or stand out here. That's the point I'm making. By pointing out what we perceive to be flaws in another's decorating its akin to a personal insult, good intentions be damned. Better to avoid conflict where necessary and let people do as they will to land they pay for within ToS. But since they have the same rights as the rest of us, if I don't like that full bright purple tree, I don't have to look at it so I'm derendering. No one need be the wiser and no organisation necessary.

I sure hope we don't start getting 'organised' groups of little busy bodies going round inspecting everyone's front/back garden to make sure it 'looks acceptable' for the neighbourhood...

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia

7 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

I sure hope we don't start getting 'organised' groups of little busy bodies going round inspecting everyone's front/back garden to make sure it 'looks acceptable' for the neighbourhood...

The will be created and they will AR anything and everything. It has been happing since the beginning. So what?  98% of their ARs will be investigated and closed without incident, the rest may actually be acted upon. Who really cares? The benefit of the Linden Homes is that it is seconds to move out and into another in another place, so just do it. (And the current demand making this more difficult notwithstanding is a moot point as this will be inconsequential in time.)

I got nothing against purple trees, walling off your property with a fake sky and forced perspective tree illustrations might be pushing into 'Hold on a minute now...' territory though.

I even saw a house set up to kinda look like an embassy with gate guards and a security checkpoint, which was really neat.

Many people, when presented with a completely blank canvas, are going to blank out and not have a solid idea of what they want to do. I know I'm that way. Give me constraints on what I can do, give me borders to work within, deliberate limitations. I find it easier to be creative in that sort of environment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gearhead Gaffer said:

I got nothing against purple trees, walling off your property with a fake sky and forced perspective tree illustrations might be pushing into 'Hold on a minute now...' territory though.

I even saw a house set up to kinda look like an embassy with gate guards and a security checkpoint, which was really neat.

Many people, when presented with a completely blank canvas, are going to blank out and not have a solid idea of what they want to do. I know I'm that way. Give me constraints on what I can do, give me borders to work within, deliberate limitations. I find it easier to be creative in that sort of environment.

Ditto this. (And very expensive Japanese Maple trees are purple, though they don't usually glow LOL). I dun a mini country-ranch-in-suburbia look. Think of the little house in UP. :D

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 2:30 AM, RaeLeeH said:

THIS is the reason a lot of my friends won't go mainland, regardless what new perks come with it. I just derender anything that stands out to me; I'm sure people derender what they don't like about mine, as conscious as I think I'm being regarding acceptable style. It's not an ideal situation, but it's not like we have control over others or can dictate taste that pleases all... as much as I'm sure some people are just lazy, are creatures of habit, or have tastebuds in their posteriors. 

Regarding the banality of suburbia; as I live in a small outback town where it's always dusty and flat and boring, a green "Leave it to Beaver" sitcom suburbia is a chance to live something better I'll never have (especially not in RL). But it's not just the look that appeals, it's the community aspect. Maybe the style is a little too stereotypical, but this new community reminds me of a time, and values, that have long since been eroded; neighbours chatting over fences, and stopping by for a cuppa, and life was generally slower and more easy going compared to the technological rat race we live in now. While it's still possible to visit neighbours in a different setting, say futuristic sci-fi, it won't have the same feel - and a return to old values is probably more recognizable as a 50's sitcom than a futuristic or other setting that people haven't experienced much or care to. 

Yeah. As I said elsewhere already, to me, mainland is like the armpit of SL. :) Not sure mainland qualifies as 'suburbia' per se, though (it's generally too rude there).

Personally, I would have loved Horizons, but I get that Sci-Fi isn't necessarily for everyone. But a similar deal, with double the prim allowance (like in Horizons), that I might actually buy. :)

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.