Oh, the banality

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Another pleasant valley Sunday
Charcoal burning everywhere
Rows of houses that are all the same
And no one seems to care.

That used to annoy Philip Rosedale. You can build anything in Second Life. Yet what people want to live in is boring suburbia. Yes, there are people who live in Crack Den or Cocoon, but not many.

The futuristic concept of Horizons was interesting, but it didn't really work out. Zindra is mostly wannabe land flippers. New Babbage has a dedicated but small population. But build a huge planned unit development and people flock.

I'm holding out for some new house designs. I liked some of the ones from the old Linden homes; they were just packed in too tightly. I have a beach lot; it needs an A-frame, not a pseudo Cape Cod.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, animats said:

boring suburbia

Well animats, there will be something for just about everybody it sounds like. Get over there on that other thread where people are describing what they'd like to see on the other regions.

Regarding Philip -- perhaps he  already has his nice house in the burbs (well I know he does as my daughter lives not that far away from him in SF). Many would like to experience in a virtual world what they'll never have in RL (a nice home in a traditional style).

• Like 10

While waiting for the houseboats, I got an older linden home in Tahoe which I really like.  I don't want to give it up, yet I really want a boathouse.  

I decided to recreate it, to some extent with a few addition.  it needs a lot of work still, but I plan on using it in one of my skyboxes later.  Here it is, away from all of the other homes.

Snapshot_194.png

It needs a lot of work still, but you are welcome to it if you want it.  Currently it is 31 prims, but you probably could get it down to less by removing a few walls I added, the second floor, stairs, porch, and roof addition.

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 6

As I am somebody who lives in an old, unkept town irl, "boring suburbia", as long as it's nice looking, is a welcome thing for me.

Also, as Luna said, being as it's something I will likely never have given I don't exactly come from a family of privilege or live in the land of opportunity, it's more appealing to me.

We all have our likes and dislikes. I've met plenty of people who are tired and hate all the "tropical" land in SL, but I absolutely love it.

Edited by s2Pandora
  • Like 9

The issue is that it only takes one selfish ***** to really spoil the view in any region. I suppose what atracts people to this kind of planned community isn't so much that it looks amazing and unique, but that there is some guarantee on what potential horrors your neighbors can deploy.

That being said, most neighbors try to play along with the people they share space with, but it's a big gamble whether a newcomer will embrace the existing community or be the type "don't care, don't talk to me, i'm building a wall so I can pretend you don't exist"

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

The issue is that it only takes one selfish ***** to really spoil the view in any region. I suppose what atracts people to this kind of planned community isn't so much that it looks amazing and unique, but that there is some guarantee on what potential horrors your neighbors can deploy.

That being said, most neighbors try to play along with the people they share space with, but it's a big gamble whether a newcomer will embrace the existing community or be the type "don't care, don't talk to me, i'm building a wall so I can pretend you don't exist"

THIS is the reason a lot of my friends won't go mainland, regardless what new perks come with it. I just derender anything that stands out to me; I'm sure people derender what they don't like about mine, as conscious as I think I'm being regarding acceptable style. It's not an ideal situation, but it's not like we have control over others or can dictate taste that pleases all... as much as I'm sure some people are just lazy, are creatures of habit, or have tastebuds in their posteriors. 

Regarding the banality of suburbia; as I live in a small outback town where it's always dusty and flat and boring, a green "Leave it to Beaver" sitcom suburbia is a chance to live something better I'll never have (especially not in RL). But it's not just the look that appeals, it's the community aspect. Maybe the style is a little too stereotypical, but this new community reminds me of a time, and values, that have long since been eroded; neighbours chatting over fences, and stopping by for a cuppa, and life was generally slower and more easy going compared to the technological rat race we live in now. While it's still possible to visit neighbours in a different setting, say futuristic sci-fi, it won't have the same feel - and a return to old values is probably more recognizable as a 50's sitcom than a futuristic or other setting that people haven't experienced much or care to. 

Edited by RaeLeeH
  • Like 16

4 minutes ago, animats said:

Yes. Celebration, FL.

O5766878_1_1551393193.jpg

The Walt Disney Company's vision of America.

Unfortunately overpriced just as Disney is.

The earlier houses at least were built pretty poorly, but went for half a million.

At least the Linden homes are affordable, haha.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

THIS is the reason a lot of my friends won't go mainland, regardless what new perks come with it. I just derender anything that stands out to me; I'm sure people derender what they don't like about mine, as conscious as I think I'm being regarding acceptable style. It's not an ideal situation, but it's not like we have control over others or can dictate taste that pleases all... as much as I'm sure some people are just lazy, are creatures of habit, or have tastebuds in their posteriors. 

Yes but you're also being part of the problem since this attitude prevents any kind of organisation amongs neighbors.

14 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Yes but you're also being part of the problem since this attitude prevents any kind of organisation amongs neighbors.

Organise what amongst neighbours? Ask someone, for example, to tear down the full bright purple tree they spent hours trying to look just right for them because it doesn't "fit" the suburban theme? Who decides exactly what fits and what doesn't (beyond Linden Labs of course)? People do have purple trees in real life but they may not translate too well or stand out here. That's the point I'm making. By pointing out what we perceive to be flaws in another's decorating its akin to a personal insult, good intentions be damned. Better to avoid conflict where necessary and let people do as they will to land they pay for within ToS. But since they have the same rights as the rest of us, if I don't like that full bright purple tree, I don't have to look at it so I'm derendering. No one need be the wiser and no organisation necessary.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

Regarding the banality of suburbia; as I live in a small outback town where it's always dusty and flat and boring, a green "Leave it to Beaver" sitcom suburbia is a chance to live something better I'll never have (especially not in RL). But it's not just the look that appeals, it's the community aspect. Maybe the style is a little too stereotypical, but this new community reminds me of a time, and values, that have long since been eroded; neighbours chatting over fences, and stopping by for a cuppa, and life was generally slower and more easy going compared to the technological rat race we live in now. While it's still possible to visit neighbours in a different setting, say futuristic sci-fi, it won't have the same feel - and a return to old values is probably more recognizable as a 50's sitcom than a futuristic or other setting that people haven't experienced much or care to. 

I love my little idyllic home. Right now, iRL where I am, spring is slow to start. I love a yard (that I don't have to mow... EVER) and trees (that I will never have to rake the leaves up for) and the community thus far here in Suburbia.

iRL I live in a small, sleepy community. I just haven't been able to R click and "Return to Owner"  or Mute/Ignore Object the annoying little yapper dog that lives next door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, animats said:
Another pleasant valley Sunday
Charcoal burning everywhere
Rows of houses that are all the same
And no one seems to care.

That used to annoy Philip Rosedale. You can build anything in Second Life. Yet what people want to live in is boring suburbia. Yes, there are people who live in Crack Den or Cocoon, but not many.

The futuristic concept of Horizons was interesting, but it didn't really work out. Zindra is mostly wannabe land flippers. New Babbage has a dedicated but small population. But build a huge planned unit development and people flock.

I'm holding out for some new house designs. I liked some of the ones from the old Linden homes; they were just packed in too tightly. I have a beach lot; it needs an A-frame, not a pseudo Cape Cod.

Not being American, but having been so 'TV Sitcom and Movie Americanised' over my lifetime, this is exactly what I want. When I visited the US the first time, I was in Connecticut, and I was like a kid with my face pressed up on the car window. When I got out of the car and went exploring I am not embarrassed to say I actually teared up, because there were hoops over garages, there was a bike strewn in the front yard and one front yard even had a catchers mitt and some kind of goal net thing. There were flags beside the front doors, it was everything to me. A few days later I saw a Policeman eating a Doughnut, I almost lost my mind, don't even get me started on what happened when it started to snow. 

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

I happen to love my little bit of "surburbia" IRL and SL. My Winchester, if it were white, would be fairly identical to my actual home. I love it. I hope you get something more to your liking in one of the next Linden Home continents but I'm not going to feel bad for a moment that I and many others are enjoying the HOA Suburbia life in SL. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Zoya McDonnagh said:

Mute/Ignore Object the annoying little yapper dog that lives next door.

I desperately wish I could mute/ignore the extremely annoying yap-yap that lives behind me.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Gingir Ghoststar said:

I happen to love my little bit of "surburbia" IRL and SL. My Winchester, if it were white, would be fairly identical to my actual home. I love it. I hope you get something more to your liking in one of the next Linden Home continents but I'm not going to feel bad for a moment that I and many others are enjoying the HOA Suburbia life in SL. 

You can change color, there is a control to the left of the entrance, just between the door and the stairs. Redecorate.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:New_Linden_Homes_2019#House_control_panels

22 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

You can change color, there is a control to the left of the entrance, just between the door and the stairs. Redecorate.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:New_Linden_Homes_2019#House_control_panels

I know but I like the green and have always said that given the chance I'd love to paint my RL home a similar shade as this. I'm a huge fan of  the NoSeeUm/GoAway Greens. 

On 4/21/2019 at 1:16 PM, animats said:

The traditional homes remind me of Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, and the Massachusettes coastline. 

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS819US819&q=images+of+nantucket+island&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi1hPals-nhAhVKlKwKHWXeDVUQsAR6BAgHEAE&biw=1908&bih=959

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS819US819&biw=1908&bih=959&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=e7DAXJOsEYuStQXvvrS4Bw&q=images+of+martha's+vineyard&oq=images+of+Martha's+&gs_l=img.1.0.35i39j0i30l6j0i8i30.76426.83000..85049...0.0..0.130.2668.4j21......1....1..gws-wiz-img.......0j0i24.4kLQjWxv-ZY

But a lot cheaper.  Yeah.  I think I'm going to stay a while :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2019 at 6:16 AM, animats said:

parsing what there is about the estate  on the LL blog. It would seem that you don't have to have a Linden-built home on your parcel. The post says only that what you do build has to be keep presentable and in-theme

some people are already doing this, like one person I saw had no houseboat. Just a yatch which they have furnished as a home.  This may have been triggered by the mailbox rezzer not working for them, so they went with their own yatch

10 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

parsing what there is about the estate  on the LL blog. It would seem that you don't have to have a Linden-built home on your parcel. The post says only that what you do build has to be keep presentable and in-theme

some people are already doing this, like one person I saw had no houseboat. Just a yatch which they have furnished as a home.  This may have been triggered by the mailbox rezzer not working for them, so they went with their own yatch

I sincerely hope this was just a glitch. As dull as some people think the cookie cutter burbs are, I hands-down prefer what we have now to another repeat of current mainland where it's open-slather for ugly builds, full bright everything, and glitching alpha textures. The minute LL allows people the ability to start rezzing their own houses on Belliseria is the moment I abandon land and get the heck out of Dodge. 🤮

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

parsing what there is about the estate  on the LL blog. It would seem that you don't have to have a Linden-built home on your parcel. ... This may have been triggered by the mailbox rezzer not working for them, so they went with their own yatch

Probably not good to rely on that.

Almost everyone near me on the coast has the Winchester, the one with the railed second floor balcony. If you have a view, that's the best choice. So it's being overused. More variations on that theme would be popular. Like this.

e2f5c5c8da07f4b19ac7986ab906e88cl-m0xd-w

Small house, big balcony. Maybe too much balcony. Dial the balcony back a bit and it would fit the theme.

LL did a good job on the few houses they offer. Just not enough options to get some diversity.

Edited by animats

54 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

From the covenant :

*Your Linden Home may not be removed, modified, exchanged, set or deeded to group, or transferred. 

You can ADD to your home with in themed add-ons or outbuildings or other furnishing. Rereading might be good :D

There are quite a few folks with house rezzing issues and some have put down temporary shelters. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

From the covenant :

*Your Linden Home may not be removed, modified, exchanged, set or deeded to group, or transferred. 

You can ADD to your home with in themed add-ons or outbuildings or other furnishing. Rereading might be good :D

There are quite a few folks with house rezzing issues and some have put down temporary shelters. 

thanks. I was going off what was on blog.  I had another look at the About Land \ Covenant. Is pretty specific.  The next line after the one you showed even more so. "*Residents must use one of the houses provided. ... "

• Like 1

• Moles

Yes, if a house doesn't rez for some reason it is a glitch or a bug. If you can't get a house to rez let us know and we will fix it for you. It usually just needs the rezzer or mailbox controller reset (or the region restarted). I don't recommend just putting your own house there instead. If you choose not rez a house, one will be rezzed for you. ;)

And if anyone happens to stumble on a way to force the house not to rez I highly recommend keeping that information to yourself and tell us how you did it instead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.