How to get people to wait while i type in local?

Milo Meridoc

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hey all,

i have noticed sometimes people walk out of chat range while i am still typing. How do i get them to stay,and be more patient? Any ideas?

I have tried to write longer sentences and put some emotes in, like they do in role plays sometimes... hoping they would stand still longer... but no luck.

I took them into Gor a few times, and (believe it or not) they patiently waited for the goreans to finish typing.

Why is that?

The impression I get is that you are a weak earth man, you must captivate your audience with the power and authority befitting a true man of Gor.

Try wearing lots of leather loincloths and leave your chest bare. When talking to women, slap a collar on them and command them to sit and listen to your words of wisdom. 

Also, when someone else speaks, repeat what they just said in the form of a question.

:matte-motes-silly:

All joking aside, if you've turned off your typing animation, turn it back on or replace it with another sound/animation combo that signifies you're typing. When I'm typing, my avatar's mouth moves, my avatar has gesturing animations playing, and the poeople around me hear my avatar speaking Simlish, the voice chatter from The Sims. So, even tho I turned off the annoying typing animation, it is still clear, by visual and audio cues, that I'm typing.

If you have not turned off your typing animation, it may be that you're taking a very long time to type something and/or the people you're typing to are just rude. I've met plenty of people who would come up, ask me a question, and seconds later they start walking off even as I'm typing an answer for them. Seconds! Now that's both pretty rude, pretty impatient, and pretty much guarantees they're going to have a difficult time ever getting any answers to whatever questions are on their mind.

People tend to expect longer replies in role-play than casual conversation. If someone walks over and asks you a yes/no question, there's no need to flourish it up. Just type a simple yes or no. You also don't have to do the patient type, wait for a reply, type, wait for a reply of role-play etiquette. You can spit out several short statements before the other person responds.

Milo Meridoc wrote:

hey all,
i have noticed sometimes people walk out of chat range while i am still typi

/teleport.

IM: Oh were you saying something?

:)

Try starting with a short buzz-piece to catch attention, then throw in War and Peace with your second or third comment.

ok good idea... But how should i handle it if someone doesnt respond for like 2 minutes?

I know, in Gor (and other places) you should give people a little bit to respond... But how should i react if they take too long? (who knows, they might be talking in IM as well...)

One time i waited like 8 minutes for a response. And then they would wonder why i dont talk much lol

If you type something and they are still standing near you but not responding it could be that they are IMing someone else or busy in real life. The conversation doesn't have to be a constant back and forth with each person typing after the other. You can just keep on typing out some sentences.

You could try caging them while you talk to them. That should keep them from walking away. :D

This is why I keep the typing animation going. It gives people a clue that you are actually typing. Some AO's let you replace the defualt typing animation, so you can always buy a new one.

- Luc -

Milo Meridoc wrote:

i have noticed sometimes people walk out of chat range while i am still typing. How do i get them to stay,and be more patient? Any ideas? 

Leave your typing animation enabled so there's a visual, body-language cue that you're attempting to communicate.  Or don't sweat the small stuff; some folks will learn eventually that they're missing out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.