How Do I Make Second Life Viewer Run Smoother & Faster?

LexiiSkittlesz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey Guys!

So I'm an old user, trying to revive my over 6 year old account on the same exact laptop it used to run so amazingly on.

I've watched a few youtube videos with tricks and tips, which maybe helped about 1% or maybe that's just my optimism.. 🤷🏼‍♀️

So if anyone here knows of ways they found to work with them, pleasee share! I'm dying with all this lag, it's immense and triggering lol. I have a:

Late 2011 MacBook Pro 13"/ macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6 with Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

A year or two ago, I had to wipeout my laptop and change the hard drive because it died. I did this on my own and changed my 1TB to a 2TB, since it fit and I thought things would run faster since this is my only laptop I can use. (it sucks, yes i know, macs are the last thing to use for gaming🙄🙃

So please, anything is HIGHLY appreciated 🙏🏼❤️

I'm sure those guides have already told you to reduce your draw distance until you become a mole, turn off advanced lighting, atmospheric shaders (probably basic shaders too), set the complexity limits super low, max avatars super low and generally keep all settings to an absolute minimum but i highly doubt that's going to help you run SL decently. The reality is your laptop is way outdated (it was even for 2011) and you're not even going to win a thumbs up with it. Just loading an empty SIM will almost fill your entire GPU memory, let alone basic shaders will totally destroy your GPU and if that wasn't enough all the unoptimized crap going around (which is only going to get worse) are not going to be gentle to your CPU either, this kinda stuff grinds high end hardware into dust even on lower settings, there really isn't any hope for you to run this unless you like single digit framerates and input delays longer than your ping  to russia.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 3

Your hardware from 2011 just really isnt up to the task of running SL in 2019, itll run the game obviously but running it smoothly is out of the question. You cant really upgrade it besides adding more ram or swapping to a different drive. So if you want better performance youre going to need a new machine to play on.

My Latitude E6410 with a first gen i5 and the first generation of intel HD graphics can handle SL fine and dandy, for things like just standing around a social island and chatting. But thats at near minimum settings and im not doing much more than using the chatbox anyway. If thats all youre going to do then thats adequate hardware for it. But if you want to do more you need better performance and that only really comes with better hardware. No amount of driver updates, special configurations or tweaks will make my laptop or your laptop play SL any better than the hardware is capable of.

• 2 years later...

answer this... My spec:

CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400H @ 2.70GHz (2687.99 MHz)
Memory: 16022 MB
Concurrency: 12
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19042.867)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU/PCIe/SSE2
Graphics Card Memory: 4096 MB

was getting 80 FPS consitant and smooth.

Now I my FPS drops 20 frames a second every 3-5 seconds just standing in one spot.

My FPS is smooth and consistant when the viewer is running in the background rather than the Foreground.

I've reinstalled at least 3 times thinking I was hit by a virus......

HALP!

@Xen ZelnikFirst thought and definitely characteristic of the symptoms- "whitelist" the viewer it's settings files and the cache in your Antivirus, whatever type you use.  Remember that if you have no OEM AV on your computer, Windows Defender WILL be running and that is just the same.

Edited by Aishagain

2 minutes ago, Xen Zelnik said:

I have tried this. Windows Defender is completely disabled as I have antivirus software installed. I did disable my antivirus software as well, however the issue still remains present.

I usually have this issue when Windows is doing updates in the background as they have been doing over the weekend on my laptop.

Recent updates have caused Win10 users problems. Force Windows to update again to make sure everything is up to date. Reboot. - This forces the update and avoids the system trying to download in background and install later. Also, I don't see the NVDIA driver version. Make sure to update it. I am on 511.65 now.

If the problem persists, open a command or shell window as the Admin. Run SFC /Scannow. This takes a few minutes. Notice the completion message it gives you. If it says there are problems it cannot fix, go online and read how to use DISM. Otherwise, reboot.

If the problem still persists, consider running CHKDSK /R on the drive with the viewer's install files and cache files, usually C:. Reboot.

If the problem still persists, consider explosives... no... Get the free program HWMonitor and check the temperatures of the computer. 75C is the max for most components. Above that some components will throttle back to avoid burning up.

If that STILL doesn't fn fix it... open the Windows Resource Meter and see what the computer is doing that causes the viewer to lag.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.