Seasonal Bellisseria?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, SabrinaGrace Afterthought said:

Just random question, does anyone know if the Bellisseria region will have seasonal change? For example snow in winter, leaves in autumn. I believe the classical homes did not, but just curious. It would be really nice but alas only one can hope. =P

It could be difficult I imagine since only half the world has snow in winter and the other half has their hot weather  *shrugs*

• Like 4

It would be pretty, to see the seasons changing a little but I doubt it would happen, since the amount of manpower it would require would be huge.  You have to imagine, the Moles would have to come in and switch everything around, over the continent, which is a lot of regions to be changing.  

• Like 1

As someone that does deal with winter in RL, I wouldn't mind a section where they offered seasonal changes to the sim. I would love to decorate for Autumn and Winter. While I dislike dealing with snow in the RL, the snow in SL you don't have to shovel.

And with the way people drive through sim crossings, they can pretend its black ice.

• Haha 9

I imagine that not every homeowner on every region will want to change seasons.  Seasonal changes between spring, summer and autumn are easy for individual homeowners to do on their own property without it standing out terribly.  With winter meaning snow, however,  there is a big lose of immersion if not all the parcels in the region are snow covered with snow covered roofs and trees.

I am not in favor of snowy winters on Bellisseria as a whole, but perhaps there will be some snowland regions where there is always snow...  

• Like 4

Here is a bit of input from someone who has designed sims for awhile (assume some of you guys have too).  It isn't just changing the GROUND texture, it is also changing out the trees and bushes. Yes if the flora was scripted with a UUID that could "maybe" (beyond my techiness - I just do websites) be controlled on the server, BUT it is unlikely that scripted trees would happen as that just adds to lag. So think about 400 regions and all the WORK involved to change things out. Let alone put snow on the rocks etc.

I can't see any way that is going to happen -- just from a practical point of view. 

And then there is the issue of people having "Spring" trees in the middle of winter.   And ====

Need I go on LOL.  

Since the long range plans for Linden Homes is to have TONS eventually, there are all sorts of possibilities of course, but changing out a few continents each season seems to be a remote possibility :D.

• Like 9

I am totally against the idea of seasonal changes. Most fall terrain textures look like vomit and I get more than enough snow in RL. Sl snow scenes are incredibly bright - with everything being white - and I keep most everything computer related dark. Please no seasonal changes! People can put up skyboxes and have all the orange/green/red or retina-searing white ground and decor up there.

I have seen others say that LL has plans in the future to greatly expand the area/continent. I would totally be down for a section to be planned ahead of time that is seasonal. Could not be done retroactively with the current homes though. 

• Like 1

I am a big fan of snow in winter. For that reason I rent a little cottage in Normandie Coer, where the SIM- owners make seasons happen with fall, winter and spring. And for that reason I will keep that up as a weekend ressort, :)

I Bellisseria that is simply impossible for people have plots with gardens and will have green plants there and not change them to winter! Seasons are only possible when you leave everything out of doors to the landlord. He even provides my window boxes!

I personally would love to see seasonal changes, but technically I can't see it being implemented. And as much as I'd love to move to a sim that has snow 24/7, guaranteed there will always be that one person who wants to rez a tropical beach scene right beside you.

Nope, can't imagine LL would willingly give themselves the extra workload on top of all the work yet to be done, and the bugs that need fixing. It's nice to dream, though!

• Like 2

I think that the workload for changing from one season to another would be unworkable when you're talking about hundreds or thousands of regions to be changed.  Even if trees and shrubs/hedges had seasonal textures with ability to change via scripts, the script count/overhead might not be good for performance.  I'd rather script time was left for residents' use.   

• Like 2

I am no fan of winter or snow. It's fun for about five minutes and then it really becomes tedious. Thats in RL :)

The continent of Bellisseria appears to be somewhat hotter than the temperatelands which experience such things as snow. I would guess it to be in the tropics and whilst snow is not unheard of in those areas it is pretty uncommon unless at great altitude I guess.

I'd not appreciate having my tropical houseboat icebound and me being forced to redecorate so I hope that this will not happen. As far as I am concerned, seasons and things should be down to full sim owners or people to do at parcel level and not for those living in a Linden Home to have forced upon them.

• Thanks 1

Bellisseria is relatively small, flat, at sea level and surrounded by salt-water seas with reefs.  This would be a mild/warm continent, so I doubt it would get much snowfall - if any actually......

Which reminds me.... I've always thought it weird that the tallest mountains in SL (at the north of Heterocera Atoll continent, specifically Campion region) don't and never have any snow on them.

As Heterocera was originally known as "the Japanese continent", then it really ought to have (some) snowy mountain tops as Japan's mountains have.

Could this oversight be fixed?  @Abnor Mole @Dyna Mole @Patch Linden

P.S.  The Moles have a shop called Mole Mart at the eastern end of this mountain range at Leafminer region.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It would be nice, especially if there could be a proper long autumn,  and a mini winter (Dec - mid Jan). But like @Chic Aeon said, it would need to be a lot of scripted landscaping and that all leads to lag. Swapping out terrain textures would be easy, a pain maybe, but whatever. The landscaping could all be sim wide hud controlled for the moles, but again lag. I would be all for it, especially a long progressive autumn with mini winter.  There are plenty of inworld creators that make some lovely fall textures that they could be inspired by. But then you also have the issue with not everyone wants that or even wants to swap out their own landscaping to be on board, so you are going to end up with a wintery sim and cherry trees in bloom and palms.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2019 at 9:15 PM, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

As Heterocera was originally known as "the Japanese continent", then it really ought to have (some) snowy mountain tops as Japan's mountains have.

Actually, it's Satori that is also known as 'The Japanese Continent'. Heterocera is 'The Northern Continent' or more commonly 'The Atoll'.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Im from Texas so the only chance of me seeing snow is on SL or the weather channel. However snow for too long isn't always good. When I lived in the north, it got old fast, and shoveling it is never fun.

Perhaps Spring summer Fall types, a short period of snow around the holidays then back .

The only way I see it happening is if the trees were designed for season changes. That is a lot of work to try and change such a large continent. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.