Is this laptop enough to run second life?

Katara Spyker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My laptop is poop compared to the minimum specs of SL. Haven't played in a while and want to start ip again. Need a new laptop, so I'm going shopping.

So, I was wondering if this was enough? Or any reccomendations on best buy or some other store? Thanks! :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+-+Presario+Laptop+/+AMD+V-Series+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+2GB+Memory+/+250GB+Hard+Drive+-+Basic+Black/1271897.p?id=1218245812097&skuId=1271897

5 answers to this question

Hi Katara,

I`m terrible at rating laptops, but some of the resident guru`s will no doubt be along soon. In the meantime checkout some of the previous threads on this same topic as there is some great advice in them. Just type laptop in search and you will find lots of threads such as this one:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/Laptop-has-died-What-type-of-laptop-should-I-get-now/qaq-p/685754

• Like 1

your included link to a laptop uses an ATI/AMD Radeon HD 4250, so at notebookcheck.net , using WOW as benchmark got 31fps on low, and 17fps on med. and commented "With most tested laptops not playable"... so long story short, IMAO is not good enough.

(look for an apple laptip, or one that has directx 11) and you should be o.k. imho.

furthermore...

anything with a brand-new gpu... unforunately, they get expensive (over thousand), (alienware... dell's gamer laptop line..)

But having said that, check the "Popular Mobile Graphic Cards", at "notebookcheck . net" they have a extensive list composed of 6 classes of laptop processors... for example the white mac book pro had a 9400M gpu, thus it is a class 3 GPU. for second life, and graphics options set to "ultra" should need a class 1 gpu, but on high a class 2 gpu, and on mid a glass 3 gpu, and soon on, but the refresh rate at which is acceptable differs amongst people...

It may run SL but you will be stuck with the same low end performance because, based on the published graphics benchmark tests of the of the ATI Radeon HD 4250, the graphics card will only meet the minimum recommended requirements to run SL.  I wouldn't waste the money on a laptop like that.

If you cannot afford more than $300 for a new computer you should stick with a desktop.  You can get an exponentially better desktop computer for the same price and if your budget is that tight you can also upgrade it more than you can a laptop and at less expense.  You would need to spend at 3 to 4 times that amoung to get a laptop that can run SL with high settings.

The ideal one at Best Buy would be the ASUS G73SW but as you can see it is around $1300.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.