SleazyWhippet

Alternative to ban lines?

Serious Q - if residents want total privacy, why don't they just limit access to their sim or parcel to people they know, full stop?

I'd rather get a pop-up message at the TP stage, telling me the area is off-limits, than land and then have 10 seconds to get out before some orb makes me crash.

5 minutes ago, SleazyWhippet said:

Serious Q - if residents want total privacy, why don't they just limit access to their sim or parcel to people they know, full stop?

I'd rather get a pop-up message at the TP stage, telling me the area is off-limits, than land and then have 10 seconds to get out before some orb makes me crash.

Because residents have a choice on how they set their security in most places.  Please search the forums there are numerous long posts on this subject 

• Like 3

Security orbs and similar systems are not 'ban lines'... 

The lines that are visible when a user restricts parcel access using the same system level tools that cause the teleport pop up you describe are 'ban lines'. 

Security orbs exist in part to offer more granular access permissions and in part because some users believe ban lines are 'ugly'. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SleazyWhippet said:

Because the form of access control that would give you the warning at the beginning of the teleport is only available for a full region/homestead that the occupant has estate-manager level control of, and most places you're trying to go to don't meet those criteria.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Because the form of access control that would give you the warning at the beginning of the teleport is only available for a full region/homestead that the occupant has estate-manager level control of, and most places you're trying to go to don't meet those criteria.

And the OP is on the right track here: those residents who want "total privacy" really need such estate-manager control of that location -- which means an Estate that caters to that market. It simply cannot be achieved on Mainland even with all parcel settings cranked up to 11 and an instantaneous ejector orb.

• Haha 1

So   some  guy wants  me to come to see  his house, and of course I want to go because  if he has a house maybe I can sell him a painting. He sends me a TP,  I get there and get a message that I have so  many seconds  to leave, but he is getting a message asking  him if  he  wants to add me to the approved list,  and   all  he needs to do  is click  yes. If however I get blocked  before I even enter, it will be harder for him to give me access,  he will probably have to enter my user name  into his security system, being sure to type it exactly, all  the while leaving me someplace else where  some other guy might see me  and make me a better offer.

Edited by Talligurl
  • Like 3

Accept TP, wait 15 mins for parcel owner to learn how their security orb and land settings work, get a new TP, round we go again .... 

• Haha 2

This is why I don't use security orbs or access lists, or even the privacy setting most of the time.

• People can see me
  • People can visit me
  • People can come bounce on my furniture when I'm not there
  • Talli can try to sell me paintings

...and if someone shows up who's an annoying cuss, I can have fun shooting them.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

This is why I don't use security orbs or access lists, or even the privacy setting most of the time.

• People can see me
  • People can visit me

...and if someone shows up who's an annoying cuss, I can have fun shooting them.

Yes, that makes (second) life a lot more fun, doesn't it?

Edited by Jennifer Boyle
  • Like 2

The right answer is continuous collision detection, which is an option in the Havok physics engine. If that was on for avatars and houses, and sitting through an obstacle was prevented, and you set an outside TP point on your parcel, walls and doors would actually work.

But continuous collision detection has a higher compute cost. Also, I think LL is running some ancient version of  Havok.

19 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Security orbs exist in part to offer more granular access permissions and in part because some users believe ban lines are 'ugly'. 

Actually a much more important set of reasons would be that ban lines don't work very well against avatars but do break vehicles that hit them.

Banlines fail 40m above the ground elevation (or about 40, it might be a little more or less, I'm a little fuzzy on that). Go to a parcel with banlines and note that you can fly over them, you can even land on the top of them. You can then talk to or otherwise harass anyone on that parcel - including someone under the 40m that you can't reach.

Now drive a vehicle next to the edge of them and collide into them - easy to do by accident. Most vehicles will 'break' - their scripts get shut off.

- So it fails at privacy but can be a source of having vehicles get stuck all around your plot, sometimes stuck in mid air over your land.

Security Orbs have neither of these problems. And you can code or configure them for various times to warn and to work at any desired elevation - such as a skybox.

Personally I feel that someone who can't figure out how to use their security orb shouldn't be allowed to use a keyboard... but that said... it shouldn't be hard to walk someone through it if there's confusion... and once they know how to use it they'll have a lot less issues and better security than with banlines.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, animats said:

I think LL is running some ancient version of  Havok.

Last I knew it was still Havok 7 which they were still playing with testing in 2011. I was gone for a few years so if they upgraded during that time I wouldn't know about it.

I only used a security orb at my home.. until one day I was standing around and this dude appeared out of nowhere and sat on my head! Hello ban lines and welcome. I don't care if  yer ugly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My main experience of security orbs is having them shout at me when I'm standing on my own parcel next door. They do have their issues.

• Like 4

I didn't come across these yellow "do not enter" lines for months.

They are so unsightly that if I find one when I'm exploring, I probably won't go back to that sim.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

this dude appeared out of nowhere and sat on my head! 

Maybe don't choose the "sit on my head" poseball?

11 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Maybe don't choose the "sit on my head" poseball?

I rather suspect a variant of the jump hug HUD... they can do that without you putting out furniture for them...

Edited by Fionalein

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

I rather suspect a variant of the jump hug HUD... they can do that without you putting out furniture for them...

used to be quite a fun thing to do that when people were into to it. Using a follow/standon HUD.  I remember doing that in places like The Shelter. People standing on top of each other, making people stacks. 5, 6, 7, 8 and more people sometimes.  All laughing and having fun doing it

this is not to say that is fun when some rando comes into our home and does it without an invite

but in the right place and time then is lots of fun. Specially when you at the bottom and people stacked on top of you and then you HUD stand on the person at the top. lol. The whole stack crumbles and bodies all over, still trying to stand on top of another person, while another other person is trying to stand on top of you :D

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 12:44 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

• People can see me
  • People can visit me

Second Life was light years better when this was the norm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have never used ban lines or security orbs. Both of them are problematic for people passing by in vehicles including planes, and I would rather have a plane pass safely over my parcel than deal with returning ones that have crashed on my land because the pilot got ejected.

If anyone obnoxious comes in while I am there, I can still eject and ban.  If I am not there, I neither know nor care. 

I do appreciate that people who have had problems with stalkers need more rigorous security. In that case, a private estate would be more appropriate than mainland.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ban lines and to blazes with their colour.  For those who use FS Viewer and don't like the look of them, World > Show More > Ban Lines and poof - they're invisible (to you). This is why I'll never go for a new Linden home or 'hood - lovely as they are. Nobody takes away my security blankie ban lines.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thanks,  @AnyaJurelle.....I will do that next time I am inworld, my neighbours both have ban line up (and I hate being confronted with those yellow and black stripes). 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CheriColette said:

Thanks,  @AnyaJurelle.....I will do that next time I am inworld, my neighbours both have ban line up (and I hate being confronted with those yellow and black stripes). 

You're welcome ♥