Particle displays on attach

Kal Quar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello there,

I started working on a little script that displays a static particle for a fixed duration. For that, I use a function to which I pass the name of an image in the inventory of the prim:

play_particle(string Filename)
{
    llParticleSystem([
        PSYS_PART_FLAGS, PSYS_PART_EMISSIVE_MASK,
        PSYS_SRC_PATTERN, PSYS_SRC_PATTERN_DROP,
        PSYS_PART_START_ALPHA, 1,
        PSYS_PART_END_ALPHA, 1,
        PSYS_PART_START_COLOR, <1,1,1>,
        PSYS_PART_END_COLOR, <1,1,1>,
        PSYS_PART_START_SCALE, <0.2,0.2,0.0>,
        PSYS_PART_END_SCALE, <0.2,0.2,0.0>,
        PSYS_PART_MAX_AGE, 20,
        PSYS_SRC_MAX_AGE, 20,
        PSYS_SRC_ACCEL, <0,0,0>,
        PSYS_SRC_ANGLE_BEGIN, 0,
        PSYS_SRC_ANGLE_END, 0,
        PSYS_SRC_BURST_PART_COUNT, 1,
        PSYS_SRC_BURST_RADIUS, 0,
        PSYS_SRC_BURST_RATE, 14,
        PSYS_SRC_BURST_SPEED_MIN, 0,
        PSYS_SRC_BURST_SPEED_MAX, 0,
        PSYS_SRC_OMEGA, <0,0,0>,
        PSYS_SRC_TEXTURE, Filename
        ]);
}

It all works as expected, but then there's this weird effect when I detach the object and reattach it, it displays the last displayed particle again for the programmed duration.

My state_entry and on_rez events don't call that function in any way, so I figured there must be some SL gotcha I'm not aware of at play here. Since I'm rather new to scripting, I thought maybe someone here could explain to me what causes this behaviour and if there's a way to work around it. I considered having the function call a transparent particle on detach, seems a little odd to me but if that's the way to go...

Anyway, any ideas?

Does the script clear the particle system -- llParticleSystem([]); -- after the desired interval? and/or on detach? Because otherwise you've defined a prim property consisting of that particle system that will appear when the object next rezzes into view.

(This can actually be a cool and useful effect when it's what you want, but it's easy to forget to clear the particle system when you don't want it.)

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Does the script clear the particle system -- llParticleSystem([]); -- after the desired interval? and/or on detach? Because otherwise you've defined a prim property consisting of that particle system that will appear when the object next rezzes into view.

(This can actually be a cool and useful effect when it's what you want, but it's easy to forget to clear the particle system when you don't want it.)

Hmm, I must have been confused then, because the way I understood it, when a particle is displayed, it can only be removed if max age is reached or if the object that initiated it is derezzed. So I didn't implement a clearing of it indeed, thinking detaching it would be enough, I didn't register that it was an actual object property, and it does make sense now. Thanks!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.