How are those land impact points getting spent?

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My Winchester is styled for the moment - whew. Tons of "clutter" as in books and plants and kitchen stuff as well as a garden of raised beds, some beachy bushes and three add-on builds (front porch, covered patio and carport) a motorcycle, moving boxes outdoor porch seating etc  and I STILL have 46 land impact left. Woot. 

I linked a few things together to save on LI and I have a few items that are "primmy" but are eye catching and so I am leaving them. Lots of homey things outside with a lived in look.   I like empty spaces and I like "lived in clutter"; somehow they seem to coexist -- for me anyway. 

Feel free to come see. I am in Heathstone on the beach and the only beachfront house with add-ons and outside clutter at the moment. Happily last night my neighbor changed from Winchester to one of the small houses so it isn't ONLY a sim with the all same houses LOL. 

I have a lending library on the front porch and sometime soon it will give out books; on my list along with a wheelbarrow! 

So how are you guys doing with your "prim allotments" :D.   ?????? 

425254671_settlinginbelliseria.thumb.jpg.510c4f0a357acafd372e95dec816f802.jpg

• Like 13

17 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

My Winchester is styled for the moment - whew. Tons of "clutter" as in books and plants and kitchen stuff as well as a garden of raised beds, some beachy bushes and three add-on builds (front porch, covered patio and carport) a motorcycle, moving boxes outdoor porch seating etc  and I STILL have 46 land impact left. Woot. 

I linked a few things together to save on LI and I have a few items that are "primmy" but are eye catching and so I am leaving them. Lots of homey things outside with a lived in look.   I like empty spaces and I like "lived in clutter"; somehow they seem to coexist -- for me anyway. 

Feel free to come see. I am in Heathstone on the beach and the only beachfront house with add-ons and outside clutter at the moment. Happily last night my neighbor changed from Winchester to one of the small houses so it isn't ONLY a sim with the all same houses LOL. 

I have a lending library on the front porch and sometime soon it will give out books; on my list along with a wheelbarrow! 

WOnderful job you have done Chic.  Love it!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Not being a creator and never doing much decorating/landscaping in SL, finding good-LOD LOW-LI items will be an interesting adventure for me.  I've collected tons of stuff over the years, but no clue how it may or may not work when I start digging through inventory.  I know that I do have some newer decent low LI items that will work, but I will likely also be doing a lot of shopping.

I set myself a goal to have at least 100 prims spare for when the Zooby animesh babies are released, so that gave me around 251 to work with. I decided to play it smart and get a small house instead of the Winchester, as it seems to be all over my neighbourhood and I wanted something different. Plus I figured smaller house would be easier to clutter. It took me 2 days, but I've finally gotten things down to where I'm happy with it. I spent most of yesterday meshing an insert for the interior walls and creating an extra room, the layout was giving me an eye twitch! Anyway, NOW I feel pretty much done. I could continue cluttering but I've linked enough to make the place look at least lived in. But the absolute best part; I still have 170 prims left! For now, I'll likely keep tweaking. I can't help myself. But pretty happy with the results so far.

• Like 1

I have 43 left.  I would love to have more 'stuff' out around the kitchen and living room, and more plants and flowers in the yard, but I also chose to use furnishings I liked rather than what I would have used in the old Linden homes (which were low LI but not always necessarily fitting my style - and hardly any flowers or clutter at the old LH).  So I'm trying to find the right balance here between furnishings I like and how much other stuff to put out for it to feel homey for me.  

I have 194 left :)

I'm using older furniture in my ground house, it doesn't compare to the newer stuff, but I still like it and it looks superior to the furniture I create using prims in world. 

My house is fully furnished now, but I have done no landscaping.  I do have a second house I built above it, which is also furnished mostly with stuff I created myself in world, so it is pretty blocky and older looking, although I do have a a few trees and grass in my skybox.  It is probably like stepping back into 2012 SL :D, I really just love creating my own furniture, homes, and well everything in SL, I really wish there were more tools available to us.

This house is mostly my space to play around with, a sandbox all of my own.  I will eventually set up a rez box, so I can have multiple skyboxes, I think I might also set one at the ground level to landscape a little here and there, for holidays, and just when I feel like having a pool.  

When houseboats become available, I'll grab one with my alt and try to decorate it with nicer furniture and make it look up to date.  

Below are a few pictures of my skybox, and the reason why I have so many prims left to play with.

Snapshot_177.png

Snapshot_178.png

Snapshot_179.png

Snapshot_180.png

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 6

Uff. I need more. I "made" a carport, but can't have a car there since I'm out of LI.

I can yank the large tub surround out of the garden.But, I want it, for now. I have even replaced the 2 LI rugs with 1 LI rugs, all LI I can spare helps.

I think I have 14 left, but I am not sure how the furniture that rez works. Like, in the porch swing, when I choose "read" the book is not counted as LI? I hope. But when something is rezzed, like a frying pan, it is counted as LI?

This lands you on the pavement in front of my house: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Evallen/13/131/35

Take a look if you want.

I don't know how many LI your carport has, I modded a Roost one to 7 Li plus a concrete plate for it.

And the boat: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Evallen/193/242/22

The boat has over 150 LI that's not used. I could need some of them in the house. Badly.

The biggest prim expenditures in my home are my picket fence (29 LI), my two horses (29 LI each), and my barn (31 LI). I realize I could do SO much more with my home if I cut one or more of those things but I just love them so much!

Now that my fantasy faire creations are out of the way, my next project will be making a horse rezzer so that anyone can rez and ride a temp copy of one of my horses. I've been itching to do a few trail rides around the new continent myself, so I suspect my neighbors might appreciate being able to borrow a horse or two as well :P

linden home_008.png

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Uff. I need more. I "made" a carport, but can't have a car there since I'm out of LI.

You can always be "out shopping" LOL.   I don't have a ROAD so a car isn't very realistic. But I do have a path and that works with a motorcycle (vespa style).  I am a VERY bad driving but I am going to try and improve. 

Oh, Mesh India had a truck gacha with trucks that don't move (just props). They have good LODs (most cars do not unfortunately) and are  only 13 - 14li. Might be on the aftermarket. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I think I have 14 left, but I am not sure how the furniture that rez works. Like, in the porch swing, when I choose "read" the book is not counted as LI? I hope. But when something is rezzed, like a frying pan, it is counted as LI?

This lands you on the pavement in front of my house: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Evallen/13/131/35

Take a look if you want.

I don't know how many LI your carport has, I modded a Roost one to 7 Li plus a concrete plate for it.

I was busy looking up that truck and forgot the rest of your post.  So far as rezzing props go -- I "THINK" that anything that attaches doesn't count as it is and attachment (hence ''read a book" animation).  [See below] Anything that "appears" on the scene as an option most likely counts as land impact. Cheeky Pea had lots of those long ago; don't know about now.  A few creators don't actually "add" props to an item but just show textures or make transparent. In that case turning on textures wouldn't change the land impact. Temp rezzers are against the rules and seldom used these days anyway as far as I know. They caused SO MANY problems, they were just BAAAAD. 

I think the front porch addition with the pillars, cement pad and widow's walk roof is 9.   

My carport without the fancy windows is 5 LI (glass or no glass). The ones with windows and windows and patio cement are 12.  The many paned windows with hardware are high LOD so they upped things but the details are very nice so I am fine with that.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I was busy looking up that truck and forgot the rest of your post.  So far as rezzing props go -- I "THINK" that anything that attaches doesn't count as it is and attachment (hence ''read a book" animation). Anything that "appears" on the scene as an option most likely counts as land impact.

The way temp attach works is that the item needs to be rezzed on the parcel first, then it will request to attach to you. So you DO need enough LI on the parcel for it to rez in the first place, but once attached, it will no longer count against your LI :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

You can always be "out shopping" LOL.   I don't have a ROAD so a car isn't very realistic. But I do have a path and that works with a motorcycle (vespa style).  I am a VERY bad driving but I am going to try and improve. 

Oh, Mesh India had a truck gacha with trucks that don't move (just props). They have good LODs (most cars do not unfortunately) and are  only 13 - 14li. Might be on the aftermarket. 

I have a 12 LI car from Meli Imako. I want to have 2-3 LI unused, if I can. I still want small decor here and there. But the idea of always out shopping, isn't bad!

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've been MP browsing - and some shopping.  

I saw that Chic had a Barbed Wire fence for sale, but that probably wouldn't be considered very neighborly.  :ph34r:

LOL.  It is a good seller but HOPEFULLY for folks with RANCHES and not the suburbs LOL.    So funny.  

I got out my pack of {what next} rideable bikes just now. Oddly I have that "empty folder messed up file" thing going on (sigh) so I got the Linden viewer going and rezzed the box from there. That worked. So I am all set for an adventure tomorrow. Hoping to bike across to the other side of the continent where one friend lived. Will undoubtedly have some photos for the photo thread :D. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marth Coberts said:

I'm more for the 'essentials.' Y'know, toilet, bath, bed, table, hot tub, bar, TV with a rug in front of it, kitchen set, my security orb, fancy sports car, some framed images, and a 'clothing optional' sign.

Still got 161 prims to play around with.

I wish I could rent prims from someone.

I saw on one of the threads its been asked where to get 1-2 prim trees which look still good. On my home i use trees from [we're CLOSED], if you make them small they only have one prim, the prims grow with the size and they still look awesome. They come along with bushes you can link three of them to get them down to 2 prims. Not cheap but worth the lindens spend. i got also a fence from The Domineaux Effect "Privacy  Fence". I have 2 sides of my garden in a fence with them - all together linked only 7 prims. I also have out Young Birch group from 3D trees .. only 4 prim for a group of trees of 8 with farns.

fence+trees_004.jpg

Edited by summernightsdream
adding photo
  • Like 8

After looking at all of the photos while I was off on vacation and then looking at the LI counts & LOD of much of my inventory (most of which, granted, is quite old), I've decided to spend some time today wandering the continent and peeking at the specifics of things, so that I get a list of where to buy things I like at low LI but still good LOD.  Otherwise, my LI would be gone in no time and/or the LOD will cause it to break up for everyone not very far away.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

After looking at all of the photos while I was off on vacation and then looking at the LI counts & LOD of much of my inventory (most of which, granted, is quite old), I've decided to spend some time today wandering the continent and peeking at the specifics of things, so that I get a list of where to buy things I like at low LI but still good LOD.  Otherwise, my LI would be gone in no time and/or the LOD will cause it to break up for everyone not very far away.

I went through my inventory (both clothing and such as well as Home and Garden) about a year ago and purged. Do it ever so often still with a big reorganization at the first of the year.  Sadly there were so very  many clever and nice looking items that I felt I had to throw out. Most of the issues with my things were bad LODs. Personally that bothers me more than heavy textures, but that isn't good either. 

It is probably important to remember --- for all of us) that INTERIOR items don't need to hold their long distance viewing nearly as well as EXTERIOR items.  But still, in my mind you should be able to see the kitchen clutter for example from the hall ^^.  Sometimes items break apart (small and complex ones are the most problematic just because of the way mesh is handled in SL) from a meter away. Well THAT isn't good.  

So NOW my inventory is pretty LOD "safe" -- if smaller :D.   I kept a few LOD4 items but I Have those tagged in my inventory. 

Amazingly and happily while I have noted SOME really bad LOD items on my Bellisseria travels, most things outside have been quite good. That makes me happy.   The CURRENT design issue with many creators is the overuse of large textures -- this from some top brands that never had that problem in the past.   My guess (I certainly didn't ASK THEM) is that folks are using MORE and BIGGER textures in order to get there furniture and decor items to look smoother and sharper.  And they DO! They look glorious. But there is a cost there and it is called "lag" LOL.  

So, personally I try and limit myself on the new and extra pretty stuff. Get too much of it in one place and movement can be a problem. On the plus side, these same creators have OLD items that still work very well and still look great.    It is difficult to be a wise consumer these days. Several threads over on the mesh board have highlighted that. 

It is also probably important to note that items made up of PARTS (as in secondary home and decor products made from full perm items) will most likely have a higher land impact than a SIMILAR but single mesh item. Land Impact can frequently be saved by purchasing "grouped clutter" that is one single mesh.  Again, these are the SL rules, not the triangle count.  As an example I replaced a very cute garden prop last night with something similar and seemingly more complex ( pieces of the mesh joined together before export) and traded the 3 land impact item for a 1 land impact item. 

So in general (not always) you will get more for you LI buck from folks that make their own mesh. (Again, that is GENERAL "rule" LOL).  

And, since I haven't looked at this thread much since I started it  :D  I will say that MOST of my land impact points were used OUTDOORS (not the norm it seems -- so far at least) with add-ons to the house and two outbuildings. Add a bunch of gardening clutter plus some front porch seating and yes, more clutter and that took the majority of my land impact.  Happily I had some old plant groupings (no longer available) that offered plenty of fill in flora for almost no land impact. 

I pretty much spend my time outside in the fresh air, so I want that area to feel lived in. I still have 31 land impact points available (more than a few days ago as I have been making things to replace those "full perm" decor items :D).  They SHOULD go upstairs in the bedroom, but first I need to find some things that I want to put there LOL.

They will appear; I am sure.  Happy shopping!!!!!

• Like 6

I got my first place a year ago and owned no decor so I'm used to buying an entire room worth of stuff every time I have an idea. Typically I start with animations and if the poses I want are in a 17LI sofa, I work around it. I may need to rethink that approach here. I can't be using a bed that rezzes a high impact duvet every time I sit down. I enjoy realistic spaces but won't bother with a bathroom here, a room I typically decorate and then forget about. The kitchen is my favourite place to clutter.  Minimal living room and bedroom, cluttered kitchen, cluttered desk.

I have an idea for my houseboat based on places I remember from the west coast--hippie, boho, cluttered, eclectic. Most of what I own though is geared to mid-century interiors and  overgrown yards, so there will be a lot of shopping. Right now my ideas and L$ balance are at odds. If I can figure out the kitchen I'll be on my way. A butcher block kitchen island, cast iron cookstove,  and an electric kettle. Something like that.  

• Like 1

I admit, when I first got my Linden Home I really didn't want to spend much money and tried to use a lot of what I already had. That didn't go according to plan at all.  After I think it was @Chic Aeon's comment about dropping LOD to 2, I tested the theory and realised my yard especially needed to be redone. I replaced trees and bushes and bought grass that I'd seen others use and which held its LOD quite well. So while I didn't want to spend more, it actually worked out better in the long run that I did. 

Regarding decorating; I am a tinkerer. I'll pull things apart to make them fit together in a different way; or if I like the animations from one sofa but not the LI, I link them, then edit/unlink/delete the old sofa. I do that pretty regularly. I removed the shadows on pretty much everything (as some Windlight or graphics settings will cast its own shadow), and swap out things for lower LI where I can. I easily spend days decorating, and every day after that tweaking things here or there. I really can't help myself as there's always something better being released or something else taking my fancy, or if I can, something I can make if I can't find it. It's all a work in progress.

The interior was generally easy once I sorted out room layout, but that in itself took me a few days to get the way I wanted. The backyard by far has been the biggest headache for me, stylistically. I set my house up to be my home and intentionally suburban (minus the white picket fence). But I didn't want the backyard to be empty. I also didn't want to mimic what others were doing. So I created a garden bed in the middle of the yard and broke up that massive space to two smaller spaces; one with a clothes line, the other with a seating area around a fire pit and a few chairs. By meshing my own I've cut the LI down again, as well as swapping out the aforementioned poor LOD trees I had previously (and keeping textures small where possible).

So as of writing this, I still have 130 prims left that I'm desperately trying to stop myself using *lol*  which I'm saving for my animesh Zooby baby to really complete this suburban dream. My friends are blown away at how much detail can be used with what they consider to be a low prim allowance. Honestly I think I would have struggled decorating the Winchester for space as I love a cluttered lived-in look, but the fact I am surrounded by Winchesters made me determined to have a smaller house just to be different. Prim-wise, a smaller space has worked for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RaeLeeH said:

By meshing my own I've cut the LI down again, as well as swapping out the aforementioned poor LOD trees I had previously (and keeping textures small where possible).

So as of writing this, I still have 130 prims left that I'm desperately trying to stop myself using *lol*  which I'm saving for my animesh Zooby baby to really complete this suburban dream. My friends are blown away at how much detail can be used with what they consider to be a low prim allowance. Honestly I think I would have struggled decorating the Winchester for space as I love a cluttered lived-in look, but the fact I am surrounded by Winchesters made me determined to have a smaller house just to be different. Prim-wise, a smaller space has worked for me.

I wish I could make mesh, but "everyone" say it has such a steep learning curve, and I want what I want now, can't wait until (if) I learn it.

What's your house? So far I've seen Fancy Decor and Apple Falls houses, and neither are Winchester.

They have some heavy LI furniture, so they can't have so much flowers in the garden as I have.

But their interior is so lovely.

Edited by Marianne Little

On 4/19/2019 at 10:17 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Well you konw what I'll tell you: How many of those come with 300Mb of textures? :P

As for low LI, personally I don't look at the LI of objects I buy unless it's suspiciously low or more than 20. Any creator worth their salt will try to get a low LI, but if an object is 5 LI to look as it should from a distance at the default graphic settings, then it probably NEED to be 5 LI.

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.